The drug free arrival of my twins

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dulcinea

Posted 28 March 2016 - 09:55 PM

My little Emma and Edward arrived early Sunday morning, 21st of February, at 36+3, in hospital and all safely!

Backstory: So I have fast labours. DD was 4 hours all up and DS was more like 2 hours, and we never made it to hospital. He was born in my SIL's bath room. The full story is linked in my sig. I also ever had drug free vaginal births in the birth centre.

In light of my previous labours and the fact that I did not want to give birth on the side of the road or at home unassissted, we had agreed with the obstetrician that I would call an ambulance and come in as soon as contractions started. I was very happy to come in, but a bit apprehensive about the amount of "management" that was going to happen. I was especially not too excited that the hospital wanted an epidural in just in case, but I agreed to have it. At my first labour I never had any drugs, the midwife was very hands off and let me labour however I wanted and other than DH and me no one else was in the room. DS I delivered myself, so that's probably as "hands off" as it can get. Lol.
Anyway, the group practise midwifes that I was still occasionally seeing (even though the obs in the twin clinic were overseeing my care) were very reassuring that it would be fine.

So I made it to 36 weeks and I was very much over the pregnancy. We knew the twins were good size, both head down and my tummy was huge, I had trouble moving/breathing and eating anything larger than a pea. I was very happy to wake up at 4am on Sunday morning from hearing a popping sound and feeling a trickle. I knew it was my waters gone when I got up and there was a bit of a gush. I woke up DH and told him I was going to call the midwife. She told us to come in - and I knew that contractions would start soon, DD's labour was the same, waters broke in bed and within the hour I was in labour. Anyway, given that it was very early hours on Sunday, no traffic and that labour hadn't started yet, DH and I decided to take the car and not call the Ambos.

We arrived at hospital in record time around 5am. I had a few contractions in the car and I knew they would be ramping up fast. We met the midwife and the registrar in delivery suite, where they set up the room while I continued to labour. A quick internal and I was told I was 6cms. The registrar then told me that I would need the epidural soon, and that I needed to consent so she could call the anesthetist. I asked her to give me a few minutes and have a chat to my Dh and also to the midwife. She left and I had a good chat with DH who said he'd support whatever decision I would make. Anyway, time went by and I couldn't decide and no one came to ask again. I think about 20 minutes later I started to feel an urge to push. The midwife called the registrar and they did another internal and I was found to be 10 cms. Then things started to happen fast. Someone pushed "that" button and all of a sudden the room was full of people. I think there was another midwife, a pediatrician, and the senior obstetrician on duty who came in. The epidural was well and truly forgotten by then. I was lying on my side on the bed (not what I imagined but the tummy really was too heavy to labour on all fours like I had with DD). I think I must have taken about 20 minutes to push out Eddie. Just after he arrived I was told to lie on my back, which I knew was going to happen. It got all a bit serious - I knew they were trying to prevent twin 2 from flipping around in my tummy. There was a definite lull in my labour then. The registrar was holding twin 2 in place with her hands on my stomach while the senior obstetrician was guiding her. Baby was still head down and the midwife told me it was no unlikely she was going to flip now that I was on my back and they could hold her in place. I was very relieved as that had been my biggest fear, but still I was tensing up a bit at that stage and I realised I was stalling my contractions. So I consciously relaxed and that ramped up the contractions fast. The obstetricians decided to break my waters to help baby down and I was starting to push again. It was very much a guided affair - even though no one said anything to me I knew they wanted her out now because it had been about 10 minutes already since twin 1 had been born. So I was told to push into my bottom with each contraction. As I felt the head coming down I was told to stop pushing, and breathe the baby down. and in 2 contractions little Emma was born.

Immediately they gave me an injection and also hooked me up to an IV with more drugs to help the uterus contract and stop the bleeding. It did that very well and I was in a lot of pain then so I couldn't even hold my babies. The obstetrician had a quick look but I didn't even need any stitches and so I was lying there while the twins were checked by the pediatrician and DH got his cuddles with both of them. I guess that's where an epidural would have come in handy because those after birth pains were very painful and I had to wait for some painkillers to take the edge of them.

Looking at my babies now I can't believe how much they have grown already, and how lucky I was to have such a great birth experience despite all my fears.

#2 Eggg

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:47 PM

That's wonderful. Congratulations on your gorgeous babies! Lovely names too.

#3 eponee

Posted 28 March 2016 - 10:49 PM

Well done!

#4 Tomahawk

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:10 PM

That's great, you are awesome. Enjoy your twin's, I have boy/girl twins (3 and a half now) and they are great. I wish you all the best and I wasn't going to say it but I will- keep them feeding together, sleeping together (wake the other one up if needs be). It will save your sanity. Wishing you and your dh all the best

#5 Genabee

Posted 28 March 2016 - 11:21 PM

Thank you for sharing your story. It is a beautiful one. :)

#6 Guest_canadianmum_*

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:20 PM

Fab story
My twins were nice and quick too and I agree with tomohawks advice

#7 cheshire_cat

Posted 01 April 2016 - 09:40 PM

Congratulations, amazing! Enjoy your little wonders x

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.