Is it worth a student midwife coming on board at full term?

9 replies to this topic

#1 purple_daisy

Posted 29 March 2016 - 02:58 PM

Would you feel like it is wasting her time to have her come on board at this late stage?

Edited by purple_daisy, 02 April 2016 - 04:50 PM.

#2 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 29 March 2016 - 03:11 PM

Mine did. I was 35wks. She came to my 36wk checkup.... I ended up with Emerg CS at 36.3wks. She was allowed in for the surgery, so really appreciated the experience. She then had follow up visits with me at the hospital and post natal checks.

#3 purple_daisy

Posted 29 March 2016 - 06:48 PM

Thanks Isolabella.

#4 Agnetha

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:02 PM

My cousin is student midwife. The first birth she experienced was truly inspiring for her. Any clinical  experience is great.

#5 AliC05

Posted 29 March 2016 - 07:06 PM

From memory (of being a med student on delivery suite)  they need to see a certain number of deliveries so it would certainly be worthwhile for them and probably good for them to get the chance to see someone who is happy for a VBAC

#6 Madhouse!!

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:30 PM

I am 38 weeks and got assigned a student midwife 2 weeks ago

#7 girltribe4

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:35 PM

I got assigned a student Midwife when I arrived at the hospital in labour . She was amazing and did the best back rubs

#8 MoonPie

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:53 PM

The uni I was at/am associated with needs the student to be with the mother from 34ish weeks for it to count as one of her "follow through" cases. I suppose it could count as one of her births instead?

I agree that all experience is useful and certainly not a waste of time but the students are under so much pressure to tick all the boxes that they need to that they may not actually have the time to jump on board.

All the best for the rest of your pregnancy :)

#9 Lunafreya

Posted 14 April 2016 - 07:54 PM

Had a student midwife at my appointments in the last few weeks. The midwife was getting her to touch my belly as I had a lot of fluid and she needed to see what that felt like.

I think she was at the birth and maybe another. I didn't mind, could have done it in a crowded room and I wouldn't have cared. I think one of them pulled in the cord, one of the midwives stopped her before something happened.

#10 harryhoo

Posted 14 April 2016 - 08:11 PM

My student midwife came on board at about 34 weeks or maybe a little later. She did all my care, but was supervised by another midwife. She did my stretch and sweep etc as well and was there for the birth. She was great during the birth. I had a pretty traumatic birth and remember looking to her often throughout. I was actually her last birth as a student and she got a job at the hospital the next day!
She has visited DD and I and I send her updated pics of DD too. I think it's great that they can learn and be exposed to as many different births as possible.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.