Ethical Meat

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 aluminium

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:15 PM

Can anyone point in me in the direction of information around ethical meat in Australia (esp bacon products, if any)?

There's a lot of information out there to sift through, so any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks.

#2 JBH

Posted 22 April 2016 - 03:32 PM

Have a look at the Feather and Bone website. They are a meat wholesaler and retailer in Sydney and write a lot about ethical meat (including claims about free range pork products).

#3 aluminium

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:29 PM

OK, I'll check it out, thanks.

#4 Roxi

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:35 PM

I went vegan instead. Didn't trust anyone since their are basically no industry standards.

#5 born.a.girl

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:41 PM

Whereabouts are you?

There is a business in the Yarra Valley (whose exact name I can never remember) which is def. free range, and I can get their products at a few places in suburban Melbourne.

Pork is one product where I flatly refuse to buy anything that's not free range.  Also chicken.   Won't buy veal.

The RSPCA have information on their site about ethical farming.

Not convinced, given their dubious actions with eggs, but it's a start.
http://www.rspca.org...-farming-scheme

#6 aluminium

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:42 PM

View PostRoxi, on 22 April 2016 - 04:35 PM, said:

I went vegan instead. Didn't trust anyone since their are basically no industry standards.

:( I am not sure I could do vegan.

#7 born.a.girl

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:43 PM

Also, a bit off topic, but if anyone's interested, Choice have just released a free app called CluckAR.  You just hover the camera over the label on the carton, the app reads the brand name and tells you where that brand lies in terms of being genuinely free range.

Delighted to see mine came up as 'The Hilton for hens'.

#8 aluminium

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:46 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 22 April 2016 - 04:41 PM, said:

Whereabouts are you?

There is a business in the Yarra Valley (whose exact name I can never remember) which is def. free range, and I can get their products at a few places in suburban Melbourne.

Pork is one product where I flatly refuse to buy anything that's not free range.  Also chicken.   Won't buy veal.

The RSPCA have information on their site about ethical farming.

Not convinced, given their dubious actions with eggs, but it's a start.
http://www.rspca.org...-farming-scheme

I'm in Newcastle

#9 Roxi

Posted 22 April 2016 - 04:58 PM

View Postaluminium, on 22 April 2016 - 04:42 PM, said:

:( I am not sure I could do vegan.

That was how I felt at first but I am absolutely thriving.

Good luck either way.

#10 Jenflea

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:01 PM

I buy from my local weekend farmer's markets.
You can meet the farmers and talk to them about their farming etc. You could also visit the farms if you really felt like a drive on a weekend I'm sure.

My sister put me onto it, because she refuses to eat meat unless she knows where it's come from and how it was raised.

I rarely eat pork(husband can't) and I try to only eat bacon from certain places.

https://www.pialligofarm.com.au/

That's my favourite bacon and smoked salmon provider. Plus they are a 25min drive away.

#11 born.a.girl

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:21 PM

Here you go, Borrowdale Free range available at Harris Farm.

http://www.shophuman...(entire-range)/

Also, I don't know how familiar you are with all of this, so forgive me if I'm telling you things you already know, but 'bred free range', does NOT mean free range product.  It means the piglets were BRED free range and more than likely raised in a crate.

It infuriates me that they are allowed to continue to mislead in this way.

#12 aluminium

Posted 22 April 2016 - 05:56 PM

Thanks born.a.girl, I don't know much about it at all.  I'm just starting to look into it, after having been confronted and upset by documentaries like Food Inc (showing factory farming and the appalling treatment of animals).

#13 Flowerbombed

Posted 22 April 2016 - 07:37 PM

Unfortunately free range doesn't mean organic, or well cared for. So for example the chickens might have lots of room to run around in, but they can't do much running when their legs are bowed and twisted from their rapid growth.

Sorry for the negativity, and good on you for caring enough to go free range.

#14 aluminium

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:26 AM

It's certainly a minefield.
I wish companies were more open about their practices.

#15 hotsonfornowhere

Posted 23 April 2016 - 07:38 AM

I can't help at all with the ethical meat sorry. I just wanted to say that my DH got me to watch Cowspiracy last September and I haven't eaten meat at all since! And I'm trying to eat a vegan diet as much as possible.

Good luck to you. I remember telling my DH that he had broken me, because for about three days after I didn't know what I wanted to eat at all.

#16 aluminium

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:00 AM

View Posthotsonfornowhere, on 23 April 2016 - 07:38 AM, said:

I can't help at all with the ethical meat sorry. I just wanted to say that my DH got me to watch Cowspiracy last September and I haven't eaten meat at all since! And I'm trying to eat a vegan diet as much as possible.

Good luck to you. I remember telling my DH that he had broken me, because for about three days after I didn't know what I wanted to eat at all.

I havent watched that one yet, for fear of the same response!

#17 born.a.girl

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:14 AM

View PostFlowerbombed, on 22 April 2016 - 07:37 PM, said:

Unfortunately free range doesn't mean organic, or well cared for. So for example the chickens might have lots of room to run around in, but they can't do much running when their legs are bowed and twisted from their rapid growth.

Sorry for the negativity, and good on you for caring enough to go free range.

I don't particularly go looking for organic.

I care about animal welfare, though.

There's a reason my eggs are from a place called 'The Hilton for Hens' and it's because I researched it.

40 birds to the hectare. We have to drive past about 30 places which sell eggs in Melbourne to buy them.

#18 Flowerbombed

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:34 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 23 April 2016 - 08:14 AM, said:

I was talking about meat not eggs. Egg chooks can be well looked after, as it sounds where you get your eggs from, however no doubt they still would kill the roosters.

#19 foxbread

Posted 23 April 2016 - 08:40 AM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 23 April 2016 - 08:14 AM, said:

I care about animal welfare, though.

Organic can be an easy short hand for that, though - at least when it comes to eggs, ones that are certified organic by NASAA, or have the ACO's bud logo (there are others, but I'm not sure about their criteria) are equal to the best of 'free range', in terms of stock per hectare, and possibly better in terms of general animal welfare.

And certified organic meat must be pasture-fed and free range, and their farming practices must allow for a relatively natural life. I'm not sure there truly is such a thing as ethical meat, because they all die in the end, but organic gets pretty close. And in our case, because of cost and availability, it also reduces the amount of meat we eat, which is not a bad thing either.

#20 muffin87

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:00 AM

I'm vegetarian but my husband eats meat and we are both dairy farmers.
My husband refuses to eat any organic meat. To be organic the cows cannot be wormed or have any sort of medication if they are unwell. To us this is not caring for the animal. I do buy free range pork and chicken and eggs.

#21 born.a.girl

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:03 AM

View Postnågonsin, on 23 April 2016 - 08:40 AM, said:

Organic can be an easy short hand for that, though - at least when it comes to eggs, ones that are certified organic by NASAA, or have the ACO's bud logo (there are others, but I'm not sure about their criteria) are equal to the best of 'free range', in terms of stock per hectare, and possibly better in terms of general animal welfare.

And certified organic meat must be pasture-fed and free range, and their farming practices must allow for a relatively natural life. I'm not sure there truly is such a thing as ethical meat, because they all die in the end, but organic gets pretty close. And in our case, because of cost and availability, it also reduces the amount of meat we eat, which is not a bad thing either.

I agree in regards to meat, but my comment was in regard to eggs - my fault I brought that up and the thread has gone backwards and forwards a bit.

e.g. if I had to choose between eggs labelled 'organic' and eggs labelled 'free range' then I would choose the latter. (Misleading labelling not withstanding.)   The eggs I get are from birds which are 40 birds to the hectare.

I only buy grass fed beef and lamb, and won't buy veal. We eat red meat about once a fortnight.  After reading some anecdotal stories about Bannockburn and Lilydale free range chicken, I'm intending on doing some research into that, as we do eat a lot of chicken.

As you say, they all die in the end, and many of those processes need improvement.

I'm not, and don't intend to become vegan, so I figure the best I can do is make a difference to some animals' lives.

#22 born.a.girl

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:07 AM

Interested to see what others who are very careful with what they buy for home, do when they're out.

I went for a while only eating vegetarian when out, but succumbed to the lure of meat after a while.

I know the RSPCA has a list of places which use free range, but overwhelmingly it tends to be places using (only) free range eggs, rather than the whole place only using free range.

I don't worry as much at expensive places as I know they generally go for the best quality they can get, but I'm afraid my eating out doesn't extend to expensive restaurants all that often!

Holidays are tricky, too for that reason.

#23 Flowerbombed

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:10 AM

View Postmuffin87, on 23 April 2016 - 09:00 AM, said:

My husband refuses to eat any organic meat. To be organic the cows cannot be wormed or have any sort of medication if they are unwell. To us this is not caring for the animal.

I had no idea. That's not in the best interest of the animal at all! I considered only eating organic, but decided to just not eat farmed meat at all. Glad I didn't go the organic way. Is the no medication regulation Australia wide?

Interesting article
http://mobile.abc.ne...-a-name/5703434

Edited by Flowerbombed, 23 April 2016 - 09:13 AM.

#24 born.a.girl

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:21 AM

View PostFlowerbombed, on 23 April 2016 - 09:10 AM, said:

I had no idea. That's not in the best interest of the animal at all! I considered only eating organic, but decided to just not eat farmed meat at all. Glad I didn't go the organic way. Is the no medication regulation Australia wide?

Interesting article
http://mobile.abc.ne...-a-name/5703434

I do often feel that I'm groping around in the darkness trying to do the right thing.

#25 la di dah

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:37 AM

I am going to get my own chickens so I can have eggs of chickens I know are running about in the fresh air and receiving care and aren't de-beaked etc.

I am at this point largely vegetarian trying to go 100% though at the moment I am in the middle of a thing where I can't eat rice/soy/beans/wheat/corn and that makes it... challenging and also salmon likes to sing me little mind-control songs in the dark of night.

I never ate bacon so I can't help you there.

I have switched to non-dairy butter but non-dairy cheese is generally both disgusting and environmentally a bit iffy (especially re: food miles) so I haven't.

I don't have a problem with the concept of ethical meat farming but the actuality is I can't afford it and navigating what is actually ethical is difficult, and I don't have the room to grow my own except maybe for a garden/fishtank system... but I really don't like tilapia.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.