Ethical Meat

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 HRH Countrymel

Posted 23 April 2016 - 09:56 AM

I go to 'pat a piggy' day at my local pork producer.

I can go on a tour of the farm AND cuddle a piglet!

I have no dilemmas as to the welfare of where my bacon comes from.

#27 Roxi

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:48 AM

Things to consider before buying eggs: even if the hens are 'free range' (a meaningless term by the way), if you eat eggs you are supporting the slaughtering of thousands, if not more, male chicks who aren't good for eating or laying eggs. So they are just ground up alive.

Plus when the hens are too old to lay eggs, they are sent of for slaughter, and whi knows how those conditions are.

Edited by Roxi, 26 April 2016 - 08:49 AM.

#28 Stylus

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:09 AM

Probably no help to OP but for anyone Canberra-based, there is a great online place called My Farm Shop.

#29 aluminium

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:03 PM

Thanks for the replies.

It's certainly a difficult thing to consider. There is no option for meat and egg eaters where animals are not harmed.

I was mainly interested in finding a free-range pig farm.

We get our eggs from the very happy chickens at our local farm. Chooks my kids feed food scraps to after school. We have a friend who will butcher beef for us from his free-range animals (and rabbit and lamb) but bacon and ham is problematic.

I think though, if more people turn to the smaller, honest free-range and organic farmers, that there could be a shift in the industry.

I am hopeful at least.

Anyway, my search continues but thanks for you replies.

#30 JBH

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:17 PM

Try a search here:
http://www.humanecho...e_choice?&tab=1

#31 Just Another Cat

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:43 PM

PP's have some good suggestions for better places to source meat. But don't be fooled, there is no way to ethically eat another living creature.

I would suggest reducing your meat intake one meal at a time. Eat as little as possible. A pig shouldn't have to die because a human is in the mood for bacon.

#32 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 26 April 2016 - 08:51 PM

So according to the Katering Show, human Placentas are vegan and full of meaty goodness. So if you really want to do the right thing, start asking a few pregnant ladies if they would consider giving you theirs.  There are plenty of recipes around.

#33 SeaPrincess

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:12 PM

View PostJust Another Cat, on 26 April 2016 - 08:43 PM, said:

But don't be fooled, there is no way to ethically eat another living creature.

I agree with this.

Another issue with free range eggs is that they consistently test very highly for DDT, according to my friend who works in a testing lab and will not consume free range eggs. I won't pay extra for my side order of DDT, but it doesn't stop me eating home-grown eggs when they come my way.

#34 Flowerbombed

Posted 26 April 2016 - 09:53 PM

View PostJust Another Cat, on 26 April 2016 - 08:43 PM, said:

I would suggest reducing your meat intake one meal at a time. Eat as little as possible. A pig shouldn't have to die because a human is in the mood for bacon.

Exactly. I started by cutting out pig, lamb and seafood because I didn't eat it often anyway. Then beef because I ate that more often, but no more than a couple of times a month so that wasn't hard either. Now I'm down to just chicken but make a conscious effort when cooking to make a chicken dish but leave out the chicken, eg pasta bake with no chicken (extra veggies instead). Almost there! Cutting it all out at once would be extremely difficult.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.