Overeating and can't seem to stop

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_curvaceous_*

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:21 AM

This past couple of weeks has seen me caught in an overeating spiral that I can't seem to stop.

Every morning I poach some eggs or a pot of porridge with the best of intentions to start the day well. As the day progresses I'm seriously eating way more than I should. And. I. Don't. Stop.

I don't feel full or satisfied anymore which is making me anxious and unhappy and the cycle continues.

What have you done to break the cycle?

#2 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:41 AM

Remove crap food from the house.

Become too busy to eat.

#3 JinksNewton

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:44 AM

Honestly, for me? The best solution is always just to keep myself busy and out of the house or just away from food. I seem to do best at keeping a regular healthy diet when I have food set aside for lunch and have something planned for dinner and all the ingredients ready, so when I DO get home I have that ready to go instead of mindless snacking.
I also find if I'm tired I overdo it with the carbs, so if I'm starting to binge on them I keep earlier bedtimes for a few days.

#4 Coffeegirl

Posted 01 May 2016 - 11:47 AM

Keep busy
Have something in my hands - cleaning, tidying, read a book, took up cross stitch for awhile  
Drank a glass of water.

Like Hypnic Jerk, remove the crap from the hiuse and have healthy snacks ready.   Carrot sticks, Hommus etc

#5 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:04 PM

Have you changed meds lately?  When my prednisone is above 5mg I am like this.
Weight gain as side effect doesn't mean a kilo or two. It can be 30kg in 6 months!
Are eggs days better than porridge? If I start the day with carbs it all goes downhill from there. Protein starts go much better for feeing satisfied (for me, I mean)

#6 Guest_curvaceous_*

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:13 PM

No medications. Maybe I need something.

Thanks for the responses. Busy strikes a chord. I'm not busy at the moment. I work for myself and just finished a big project and things have calmed down.

I think PPs might be on to something. Maybe I need to go back the discipline and routine of a 9 - 5 job. Obvs I can't be trusted with time on my hands and access to food..

In the meantime, do I make myself artificially busy?

#7 Freddie'sMum

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:47 PM

Take up smoking ....

JOKING !!

Do not buy crap / junk food - don't have it in the house.  I also find if I do keep myself busy (folding washing / cleaning / on the move) then I don't eat as much.  Oh and have 3 proper meals a day so that I don't feel like snacking.

Best wishes OP.

#8 JomoMum

Posted 01 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

If only it were as easy as not buying crap. Quite often, when i want to eat crap and want it now, I'll go get some.

I'm in the middle of a bit of a downward spiral at the moment too OP. For me, I had surgery, spent much longer laying around in pain than I had anticipated, and I've also had a Mirena put in, which is wreaking absolute HAVOC on my hormones. I'm hungry and my mood has changed. I feel unmotivated and depressed. I'm seriously considering having it removed after only 8 weeks.

Is it that you're eating junk food, or eating food that's not quite so bad, just large amounts? I do both at different times. You said you don't feel full, I feel this way when I'm eating junk food.

With a bit more time on your hands, can you invest some of it in trying out some new recipes that are healthy and filling? Try a new walking path at a local park?

#9 Bone Apple Tea

Posted 01 May 2016 - 01:08 PM

I'm good at not putting junk in the trolley on a normal weekly shop, but am terrible for just going to and buying some if i feel like it.  Due to medical reasons I had to clean my diet up at the beginning of this year and have found that eating lots of high fibre foods keeps me full for ages and significantly reduced my appetite for junk food.

I force myself to use wholemeal flour in baking, only buy brown rice, wholemeal pasta, lots of lentils and pulses.

To do this, I need to plan ahead and have ready made stuff in individual serves in the freezer.  

For example:

Breakfast - porridge

Morning tea - piece of fruit, bran muffin

Lunch - something containing pulses eg homemade baked beans on wholemeal toast, soup containing chick peas and kidney beans etc

Afternoon tea - fruit

Dinner - meat, veges, again some sort of lentil / pulse sidedish

Edited by canstayferal, 01 May 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#10 Guest_curvaceous_*

Posted 01 May 2016 - 05:40 PM

View PostFomoJnr, on 01 May 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

If only it were as easy as not buying crap. Quite often, when i want to eat crap and want it now, I'll go get some.

I'm in the middle of a bit of a downward spiral at the moment too OP. For me, I had surgery, spent much longer laying around in pain than I had anticipated, and I've also had a Mirena put in, which is wreaking absolute HAVOC on my hormones. I'm hungry and my mood has changed. I feel unmotivated and depressed. I'm seriously considering having it removed after only 8 weeks.

Is it that you're eating junk food, or eating food that's not quite so bad, just large amounts? I do both at different times. You said you don't feel full, I feel this way when I'm eating junk food.

With a bit more time on your hands, can you invest some of it in trying out some new recipes that are healthy and filling? Try a new walking path at a local park?

I'm not actually overeating on junk food. Maybe more bad food choices like raisin toast, leftovers with grated cheese, yogurt, stewed fruit and custard. pikelets. I've just been an eating machine. I'm sure if there were chips and chocolates in the house, they wouldn't last a day.

I've been careful today. Stayed out of the kitchen and started my tax paperwork.

Thanks for the ideas about recipes and fibre. I hope I can get out of this eating loop soon

#11 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:06 PM

What about joining weight watchers and attending weekly meetings? It keeps you accountable by weekly weigh ins and guides you in portion sizes and healthy options.

Or similarly you could use my fitness pal to track all your food.

It really is eye opening when you track a couple of days even when you think you eat well and have good portion sizes.

#12 born.a.girl

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:15 PM

I can only speak as I find for myself, and that's that I can only eat two meals a day.

If one of those is breakfast, I'm looking for food from 11am onowards.  If one of them isn't breakfast, I'm less likely to be 'looking for' food.

I know it's different for others, but my body doesn't seem to 'need' nutrition first thing in the morning to get through to the next meal. My best exercise is done on an empty stomach.

The only time I ever feel the lack of food when exercising up until lunchtime is when I've had a very light, or very early dinner the night before.

Clearly,, for me, dinner generally gets me through, energy wise, until late morning/lunchtime.

If I get into a habit of breakfast though, you can bet that within days my stomach is rumbling by 9am, despite feeling no different whatsoever with energy levels - it seems to be simply my stomach responding to habit.  Given I put on weight when I do eat breakfast, I'm clearly eating more than my energy levels require.

Again, I can only speak for myself.

#13 Seven of Nine

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:19 PM

Are you trying to eat well at meals, eating small portions, and then throwing it out the window when you snack? Think about when you are overeating. Is it eating more after dinner? Snacking in the middle of the day? It sounds like you are trying to eat well at meals.

I wonder if it would be worth tackling the snacking/left overs problem alone and not worrying about how much you are eating for the time being.

Eat bigger meals, don't count calories or points, and work on the habit of snacking/overeating. Eat until you are full so that you don't reach for a snack. Choose proteins and fibres but don't worry about quantity for the time being, especially at breakfast. Spend a couple of months breaking that habit before you count calories at meals.

It's so easy to slip into a negative cycle of deprivation and overindulgence when it comes to food, especially if you are trying to watch what you eating. In my experience it's easier to tackle one habit at a time and work on maintaining a healthy mindset. Otherwise I end up breaking myself up for every "failure" which makes me want to snack more.

Edited by Seven of Nine, 01 May 2016 - 06:21 PM.

#14 Literary Lemur

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:37 PM

Hormones can play a big part in hunger levels.

I find exercise and sleep quality are the key to appetitite control.

At the moment due to stress and trying to juggle too many things I am sleeping poorly and either struggling to find the time or energy to exercise.  Which for me creates a vicious cycle.

#15 sueratbag

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:44 PM

View PostFomoJnr, on 01 May 2016 - 12:54 PM, said:

For OP, try Atkins type low carb diet. Horrible for a few days, then you lose your appetite (and a lot of weight). And look into whether there is something else driving your eating - are you an emotional eater?

For the person quoted above - maybe the Mirena is an innocent bystander. I am just improving after a downward spiral, following surgery. Has happened to me before after surgery, and seems to have something to do with enforced inactivity, followed by incredible difficulty getting moving again once I can. Only remedy I've found is to walk in the mornings, while hating every minute of it, until I get back to normal. Then I enjoy it again.

Hormone levels from a Mirena are very low after the first few weeks, and have very little general effect after those early weeks are over. I'd give it a bit longer and work on the other struff.

Good luck to both of you! And to me! It is so hard to change!

#16 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:44 PM

View Postborn.a.girl, on 01 May 2016 - 06:15 PM, said:

I can only speak as I find for myself, and that's that I can only eat two meals a day.

If one of those is breakfast, I'm looking for food from 11am onowards.  If one of them isn't breakfast, I'm less likely to be 'looking for' food.

I know it's different for others, but my body doesn't seem to 'need' nutrition first thing in the morning to get through to the next meal. My best exercise is done on an empty stomach.

The only time I ever feel the lack of food when exercising up until lunchtime is when I've had a very light, or very early dinner the night before.

Clearly,, for me, dinner generally gets me through, energy wise, until late morning/lunchtime.

If I get into a habit of breakfast though, you can bet that within days my stomach is rumbling by 9am, despite feeling no different whatsoever with energy levels - it seems to be simply my stomach responding to habit.  Given I put on weight when I do eat breakfast, I'm clearly eating more than my energy levels require.

Again, I can only speak for myself.

Yes - this is me exactly.

I know this doesn't suit many people - or explain their experience with food - so feel free to disregard - but I find for me eating often begets eating - I don't eat breakfast as a rule - and can very often push through with no lunch - if I can then discipline myself to just have the dinner I would normally have, then I've only consumed a reasonable amount of calories for that day. I do have the odd binge day here and there - but generally if I don't start eating, then I remain "not eating" (apart from what I need for miminum nutrition ) .

#17 Guest_curvaceous_*

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

View Postsueratbag, on 01 May 2016 - 06:44 PM, said:

For OP, try Atkins type low carb diet. Horrible for a few days, then you lose your appetite (and a lot of weight). And look into whether there is something else driving your eating - are you an emotional eater?

A couple of friends have lost weight with Aktin's type approaches, but I'm very reluctant.

As a child I was hospitalised for low kidney function... some kind of nephritis that I eventually grew out of. But I'm quite wary of high protein intake because of the stress it can put on the kidneys (father always drilled this into me).

Now that I think about it, I should do some more research into plant-based protein as it doesn't make the kidneys work as hard.

Some really good suggestions around modifying what I eat when I eat it. I really want to kick this overeating thing, so thank you all for your suggestions!

#18 born.a.girl

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:25 PM

View Postcurvaceous, on 01 May 2016 - 07:14 PM, said:

A couple of friends have lost weight with Aktin's type approaches, but I'm very reluctant.

As a child I was hospitalised for low kidney function... some kind of nephritis that I eventually grew out of. But I'm quite wary of high protein intake because of the stress it can put on the kidneys (father always drilled this into me).

Now that I think about it, I should do some more research into plant-based protein as it doesn't make the kidneys work as hard.

Some really good suggestions around modifying what I eat when I eat it. I really want to kick this overeating thing, so thank you all for your suggestions!

We were told it really shouldn't make much difference, but my husband donated a kidney several years ago, and it was only looking back that we realised the times he felt unwell the next day were high meat based protein meals the night before.

We don't eat a huge amount of meat protein (things like our chicken curry are 80% vegetable), so these were nights out at the pub with family, where he'd splurge on something we didn't usually have at home.

He had always done this, so the feeling unwell seemed to be solely down to the huge protein load.  He stopped doing that, and it's never happened again.

I think you're wise to protect your kidneys. By the time they let us know they're in trouble, it can be quite bad (as my sister in law discovered).

p.s. we put a tin of chick peas in the curry to push up the protein, also in blended soups etc.

Edited by born.a.girl, 01 May 2016 - 07:27 PM.

#19 sueratbag

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:32 PM

View Postcurvaceous, on 01 May 2016 - 07:14 PM, said:

A friend did very well losing weight on a low carb diet, and she is a vegetarian. So it can be done with low animal protein intake.

#20 Kirra29

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:41 PM

Do you like coffee? I find that it is a pretty strong appetite suppressant. Not that you should be downing too many but if you space them out over the day, especially during those snacky times it might help? Even decaf if you don't want to be buzzed

#21 Simple Human

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:59 PM

You know I have a similar problem and a friend mentioned to me that meditation has really worked for her in her weight loss journey.  So I've tried it and it's working - what I've discovered it that intense intense animal need to not stop is actually really complex.  Part of it is that there is something you need that you're not getting it.  And the other part is a whole Pandora's box of life stuff.  

I do the free guided meditations from meditationoasis.com (not affiliated in any way) and the ones that have helped me realise this are the inner child meditation (had me in tears), the healthy body meditation, and the compassion one.  There is a guided meditation for just about anything in life but those really got to me in a good way.  I've now decided, above all else, to do these every night, no excuses, eating too much or not.  I highly recommend having a go at it, it helps you break down what it is you really need that you're not getting.

Edited by Simple Human, 01 May 2016 - 08:00 PM.

#22 Guest_curvaceous_*

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:25 PM

View PostSimple Human, on 01 May 2016 - 07:59 PM, said:

You know I have a similar problem and a friend mentioned to me that meditation has really worked for her in her weight loss journey.  So I've tried it and it's working - what I've discovered it that intense intense animal need to not stop is actually really complex.  Part of it is that there is something you need that you're not getting it.  And the other part is a whole Pandora's box of life stuff.  

I do the free guided meditations from meditationoasis.com (not affiliated in any way) and the ones that have helped me realise this are the inner child meditation (had me in tears), the healthy body meditation, and the compassion one.  There is a guided meditation for just about anything in life but those really got to me in a good way.  I've now decided, above all else, to do these every night, no excuses, eating too much or not.  I highly recommend having a go at it, it helps you break down what it is you really need that you're not getting.

Thanks Simple Human, off to Google them now!

#23 Mistletoe Kisses

Posted 01 May 2016 - 08:29 PM

I'm sorry you're having a tough time OP

I can't speak from experience, though I am prone to binging on chocolate if I haven't eaten enough in the day, but when I was looking into the different meds for my DDs ADHD I found that vyvanse is now FDA approved for binge eating. It's not marketed for weight loss more so to help control your appetite.

Dunno if you'd want to go down that road but it may be worth discussing it with your gp if you find you aren't managing it on your own.

#24 Poke

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:17 PM

This might be overly simplistic but I found I have a similar problem. What has been working for me lately is tea. I bought a bunch of different herbal teas and whenever I feel like eating random stuff I tell myself 'have a tea' first. Usually by the time I boil the kettle, make the tea and drink it the urge has passed.
Also it is insanely hot here now so I make up a pot in the morning and pop it in the fridge to drink cold for the afternoon.
My other trick is to walk down and buy a coconut from the street stall to drink... But that might not be possible for you!

I know it doesn't solve the 'why' of wanting to eats lots but it is helping me realise the difference between actually wanting to eat and simple reflexes or impulses.

#25 Mummy_Em

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:15 AM

I have found I need extrinsic motivation to get me started at least. I've been to dietitians a couple of times, a group like weight watchers would probably work the same way, or even an ap where you can share your food and exercise diary and progress in an online forum. It's just helpful to have someone to be accountable to and to be a bit of a cheer squad.

I think there are a lot of reasons why we get into these habits - boredom, exhaustion, self-medication - but getting out of it always starts with breaking that bad habit! And for me, breaking habits comes down to planning ahead and sticking at it (or making myself get back to it if I get off track at any stage.) I recently did 3 weeks on a very low carb diet with all measured portions. I felt hungry at first, but it took perhaps the first 2 weeks to adjust to eating smaller portions and realize that was all I needed. I do need to be cognizant of what a standard serve is, though, and have a bit of a menu plan, including snacks.

In terms of foods - I like to make a minestrone style soup with no pasta, rice or potato in it. I put lot of chunky vegetables in, plus some beans of some sort to make it filling. You can have a big bowl of that for around 200 calories and that's lunch!

With oats - a standard serve is about 1/3 of a cup. It's not much, but if you add fruit you can make it more filling. Berries are low carb, I add frozen mixed berries to mine.

I really have to stay away from bread. Fresh bread and butter are a major weakness. Chocolate is another, I have to buy an individual serve, if I buy a family block then I will eat a family block.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.