Overeating and can't seem to stop

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 Cretaceous

Posted 02 May 2016 - 01:32 AM

Baked beans. It's my thing. If I'm hungry enough to eat baked beans, then I'm genuinely hungry. It helps that I like baked beans :)

If I don't feel like said baked beans, then I recognise I'm not actually hungry and will have a cup of coffee / tea / miso / whatever.....

It does take some willpower though, whichever way you look at it.

#27 caitiri

Posted 08 May 2016 - 12:40 PM

I'm another who doesn't eat breakfast,  I seem to do well  and lose weight until the days when my DH is home (shift work). He always gets take away,  gets the biscuits/chocolate and soft drinks out and I lose my control.

#28 mumma21

Posted 08 May 2016 - 01:21 PM

I too am another that does not eat breakfast and can easily not feel hungry until my usual 12:30/1pm lunch.
If I do have breakfast I just seem to be ravenous for the rest of the day even if breakfast is protein only.
I have hypothyroidism and really struggling with weight loss and fatigue and so I am currently experimenting with calories and carb ratios. I like to stay low carb as a general rule but fear I may be too low carb so working on upping the carbs through more vegetables.  I don't eat grains but have started adding some brown rice to my diet.
I have begun having a low carb protein shake for breakfast and a yoghurt or nuts at morning tea and have found that it hasn't been affecting my hunger but is enough to not make me so starving by lunch that I am overeating.
I have a tendency to be a emotional and boredom eater and for mw meal planning is a must to stay in control.  On the weekend I cook up a big stir fry with brown rice and separate it into portion controlled containers. Lunch is so easy now to just heat up a container without having to put any thought into it. Dinner is always meat and vege.
To combat the junk food temptation at the supermarket I buy my groceries online based on meal planning.  
For me personally it eliminates the mindless adding of junk snacky foods.
For me personally the extra delivery fee is worth it.

#29 Froyohoho

Posted 08 May 2016 - 09:16 PM

I was a chronic overeater. What worked for me was becoming more mindful of what I was eating and *why* I was eating, plus tuning into hunger and fullness cues.
There's a great FB page run by two fab RDs called The Moderation Movement. I found it invaluable.

#30 Mumtotwo13

Posted 26 August 2016 - 06:47 PM

View PostLucrezia Borgia, on 01 May 2016 - 06:44 PM, said:

Yes - this is me exactly.

I know this doesn't suit many people - or explain their experience with food - so feel free to disregard - but I find for me eating often begets eating - I don't eat breakfast as a rule - and can very often push through with no lunch - if I can then discipline myself to just have the dinner I would normally have, then I've only consumed a reasonable amount of calories for that day. I do have the odd binge day here and there - but generally if I don't start eating, then I remain "not eating" (apart from what I need for miminum nutrition ) .

Me too. I agree it's not everyone. If I eat breakfast, I eat a lot more during the day.

I know some people find that a day of fasting (or eating very little) can 'reset' their appetite so they're no longer ravenous all the time. This happens to work for me, but again as PPs have said not everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.