ECV anyone?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Rachael2

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:53 PM

Just wondering if anyone on here has had a ECV? If so was it successful?
Do you recommend it and at what gestation was it done at?
I am 35+2. Bub is still breech (Frank) with a current estimated weight of just over 3.3kgs. HC is also measuring above 40weeks.
I don't see my Ob until next week but I am thinking it's not going to turn on its own.

#2 lovemybub2014

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:05 PM

I had it attempted at around 36 weeks, I found it quite painful and nearly passed out. I ended up with a c section, my baby's leg was stuck up around her head and I think that's why she wouldn't turn. I guess it depends on the position of the baby, I've seen some YouTube videos where the baby has been turned really easily.

#3 oho

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:15 PM

I had one at 37 weeks. It didn't hurt and I felt so much better afterwards. The Dr was fantastic! I delivered her naturally at 40 weeks.

#4 Dani_R

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:25 PM

I also had it done at 36 weeks but it didn't work. They tried with a lot of force to move her but bub wouldn't budge.  It was painful but the worst for me was how nauseous it made me feel, I had to get them to stop.  I thought it was worth a try so I could attempt a vaginal birth, but ended up needing a caesarean.

#5 Ellie bean

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:42 PM

I had one at (I think from memory) 38 weeks and it was great- I literally felt DS head pop out from under my rib, he was clearly stuck and would not have moved on his own. Went on to have VB. However I was an ideal candidate for a number of reasons- position of cord, size of baby, second pregnancy do uterus already roomy- and I trusted my OB who had lots of experience with ECV. If not for all those factors I would have chosen CS.
Wishing you the best with whatever you decide.

#6 Fossy

Posted 20 June 2016 - 08:53 PM

I had one at 38 weeks, baby did turn but then turned back to breech the next day, cheeky! I didn't find it painful just a bit uncomfortable as everything moves around. My ob said if it hurt he'd stop as that indicates baby is wedged tight.
I was willing to give it a try, and I would do it again if the situation arose again.
Good luck!!

#7 Contrebasse

Posted 20 June 2016 - 10:34 PM

I had one at around 37. Was successful and not really painful at all.

#8 Julie3Girls

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:10 PM

37 weeks, didn't work.  Baby was pretty much sitting cross legged and jus wouldn't budge.  Judging by how much it had hurt when she turned breech at 34 weeks, I'm guessing she simply did not have the space to turn (they had trouble getting her out in the csection)

The ecv didn't hurt.  Little bit uncomfortable, but no pain. Dr said if it's going to work, it usually doesn't take a lot. If they don't move easily, it's possible there is a reason. At any rate, he didn't try for long, and she just wasn't budging.
Still glad I tried though - worth it take that "what if" out of the equation.

#9 jag04

Posted 26 July 2016 - 02:24 PM

I had one at 37 weeks. It was painful but not unbearable. The obstetrician had two attempts and was successful on the second try.

The worst part for me was the drug given beforehand to relax your uterus, it makes your heart race.

#10 Kaz83

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:20 PM

I had one, I think at around 37 weeks... wasn't painful but a weird sensation. Felt a bit dizzy afterwards. Cheeky girl flipped back again but then flipped back head down by herself. She had a big head and there was heaps of fluid so she never really got engaged and was vacuumed out in the end.

#11 Rachael2

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:21 PM

Thought I would update. I had a failed ECV at 37+3. It was absolutely excruciating. I was in early labour at the time and was given some drugs to try help the uterus relax. My choice to attempt the ecv in labour as a last effort to try for a vaginal birth. He wasnt in a favourable position for a VBB. The ECV resulted in my son going into distress and he was delivered safely by c/s very soon afterwards. Reason he couldnt turn was his cord was extremely short and location was fundal. It explains all the lack of movement and him not budging at all from his position. We are both healthy and well.

#12 Ellie bean

Posted 27 September 2016 - 10:33 PM

Oh no, that sounds very stressful. So glad your son is healthy and well, I hope you are feeling ok about everything x

#13 Hopeful2016

Posted 31 October 2016 - 02:36 PM

Hi just reading this thread with great interest as have ECV scheduled for weds am at 36+5. Not at all looking forward to it. Has anyone been back to work the afternoon after having one? Or should I count on needing more recovery time? TIS

#14 Lou-bags

Posted 31 October 2016 - 09:23 PM

Hopeful2016:
I had one at 37 weeks with DS2.

I had to arrive at hospital at 7am, had some monitoring and the ECV then more monitoring and I was on the way home by noon.

I felt a bit odd for the rest of the day but could probably have gone to work if I wasn't already on mat leave. Depends on what your work entails really.

Also, FWIW, mine was painless, simple and over in minutes. And DS2 stayed put head down until he was evicted by induction for other reasons at 39 weeks.

Edited by Lou-bags, 31 October 2016 - 09:23 PM.

#15 Rachael2

Posted 03 January 2017 - 06:41 AM

I have spoken to a number of women who have had an ECV. Most found the procedure ok with minimal discomfort or none at all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.