Liberal senator Zed Seselja criticises abortion clinic protest exclusion zones

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Hayleymumof3

Posted 23 June 2016 - 06:32 PM

Urge he makes me ill.  I hate that he is one of Canberra's senators, he also agreed with dumping the safe schools coalition.

"I'm a big believer in freedom of speech and freedom of religion," Senator Seselja said.

"I think provided that [protest] is done peacefully and in a way that is not violent or in any other way infringing on the rights of other people, then I think they should be free to pray, to speak, and to protest peacefully. I don't think that law supports those principles."

http://www.canberrat...622-gpp7gi.html

#2 c.sanders

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:13 PM

one person's freedom is another's oppression idiot.
good thing we don't actually have freedom of speech as such.

#3 Future-self

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:22 PM

The fact that he even feels that not being able to harass someone means his freedom of religion is affected shows just how warped this thinking is. Your religious rights aren't even being addressed let alone impinged upon Zed, The medical and health issue of abortion actually has zero all to do with your freedom to practice your faith. When are these zealots going to understand that they are not the victims here.

#4 Modigliana

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:38 PM

Can't stand him either, or his campaign tactics. He is a TA wannabe. Same mindset about women, religion, and political games.

I wasn't surprised recently, when DH, and the previous male who lived here (many years ago) received a letter containing his political spiel.. but neither I or the previous female who lived here received one. Not that I'm complaining, it went straight in the bin. But I can only assume he felt he needed to address his letters to the "man" of the house.
Maybe next time I pass him at the shops I'll let him know what I think of him.. freedom of speech and all that..

#5 ali27

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:55 PM

There must be a factory somewhere which manufactures these TA clones.
They certainly seem to be over represented in the Liberal Party.
Hope they go the way of the dinosaurs very soon.

#6 Fright bat

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:57 PM

Pity that 'freedom of speech' and 'freedom of religion' are so often at odds with each other.

Idiot.

Wish he would come on EB and explain to us his rationale... I had quite a lot of fun with EBs brief fray into direct correspondence with a political candidate.

Hey, politicians go on radio and do community visit and make appearances on reddit all the time. Maybe admin could start inviting the pollies to spend an hour or two of their time talking to 'ordinary Australians' and 'Australian families' here on EB.... mods? That would be terribly exciting.

#7 purplekitty

Posted 23 June 2016 - 07:58 PM

Your rights end where mine begin.

#8 kadoodle

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:08 PM

Love it, Fright Bat.

#9 purplekitty

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:09 PM

The Carnage.

#10 Fright bat

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:16 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 23 June 2016 - 08:09 PM, said:

The Carnage.

Bring it on. I just let my husband critique my latest research paper. He made a whole bunch of terribly useful and insightful comments. The highlight was when he shook his head, sighed, and started typing furiously. Now I have to attend to them. Sigh. Why is he smarter than me. Its not even his area.

I could use some externally directed carnage.

#11 ZombieFerretOfDoom

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:27 PM

They're perfectly "free to pray, to speak, and to protest peacefully" - they just have to do it a certain distance from the abortion clinic.

I'll bet you anything if, say, Cardinal Pell for example, died and had a funeral service in Sydney, these people would be well and truly in favour of me being moved along if I chose to stand in front of the cathedral with a bunch of people protesting the cover-up of child abuse in the church, along with appropriately horrifying signs and pictures.

They'd probably say it was causing needless distress to people at a time when they were already grieving. They'd probably say there's a time and a place for protest and it's awful to cause pain to people who are already suffering. They'd probably say we had no right to interfere in a perfectly legal activity.

Funny that.

#12 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 23 June 2016 - 08:37 PM

Awww his poor widdle feelies hurt he cant harrass innocent women seeking healthcare.......

He is a monster and waste of oxygen

#13 Modigliana

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:48 PM

Ugh, disgusting! - sexist-antigreens-graffiti-inside-liberal-bus

Please people, tomorrow, think about who you are voting for!

#14 Hayleymumof3

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:20 AM

View PostscopsOwl, on 23 June 2016 - 07:38 PM, said:

Can't stand him either, or his campaign tactics. He is a TA wannabe. Same mindset about women, religion, and political games.

I wasn't surprised recently, when DH, and the previous male who lived here (many years ago) received a letter containing his political spiel.. but neither I or the previous female who lived here received one. Not that I'm complaining, it went straight in the bin. But I can only assume he felt he needed to address his letters to the "man" of the house.
Maybe next time I pass him at the shops I'll let him know what I think of him.. freedom of speech and all that..

I didn't get one from him either Dh did however.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.