HCG not checked

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 kyabells

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:43 PM

I went to my GP, like I did with my son, but my regular Dr is off for 4 weeks. So I saw another in the same clinic. He was a nice enough fellow and requested full bloods, but for Rubella, HIV, Hep C etc but not for HCG/ progesterone. I have my first dating scan on July 4th. This is my 5th preg, 2nd child (hopefully). Has anyone else not had their levels checked?. I know I had them monitored for my first. But I don't know if I'm worrying over nothing?.

#2 becstar101

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:48 PM

I only had them checked in the pregnancy after my miscarriage, for peace of mind. Otherwise I was told there was really no need, as it is unlikely to influence the outcome.

#3 Wonderstruck

Posted 23 June 2016 - 09:57 PM

I only had them checked because we did IVF. I'm not sure if it's standard course.

You could always go and ask for piece of mind.

#4 Mummaduck8

Posted 24 June 2016 - 01:47 PM

My Dr didn't check my HCG levels as far as I know. She did the rest of tests you listed.
My first pregnancy was a miscarriage and I had lots of testing HCG. Then my second pregnant ( my son) I decided against it as I didn't want to feel anxious worrying if they doubled or not.

And so I guess with this one she didn't bother

#5 Kafkaesque

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:51 PM

No none of my 3 pregnancies had HCG monitored.

#6 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:55 PM

For my second baby the Dr didn't even do a pregnancy test. Just took my word for it and sent me to my obstetrician, who also didn't order any HCG tests. I think that's normal for an uncomplicated pregnancy.

#7 rosie28

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:06 PM

For my first my levels were tested because we did IVF, and for my second they were done because we were a touch uncertain about the dates.

It doesn't make any difference to the outcome unless your progesterone is low and then supplements may help, but for most people it won't change anything.

#8 Heather11

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:16 PM

My HCG levels weren't tested in any of my four pregnancies.

#9 Mrs Lost Wanderer

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:18 PM

Never had HCG checked for any of my 4 pregnancies.

#10 Soontobegran

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:19 PM

I never had HCG levels done until #5 which was unexpected and bloods taken just in case it was the reason I was feeling sick.

HCG levels are of not done routinely by many doctors.

Good luck for your pregnancy.

#11 KnightsofNi

Posted 24 June 2016 - 08:24 PM

I never had my HCG checked for either of my pregnancies.

#12 Froyo

Posted 24 June 2016 - 09:57 PM

I think it's more than reasonable to want betas after multiple miscarriages. If you want them just ask for them.

#13 ClarkeTribe

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:04 PM

Butting in sorry.  My GP didn't do any bloodwork testing as I had recently had all the disease screening as part of the health clearance.  She didn't care about bHCG as I had peed on a stick. That was as much as she felt she needed to know.  I had already also detailed my symptomology and given that I have had kids before she was pretty confident I knew what I was on about.

Totally different scenario when they rolled me into hospital with abdo pain and since then.  But that is an aside.

#14 Fright bat

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:17 PM

Blood HCG is on the list of things GPs have been reminded is not a routine necessity in recent attempts to make Medicare sustainable.

A single HCG tells you nothing - if the urine test is positive, then a blood test will be positive. And the range of HCG which is 'normal' is so wide that again, a single result in the absence of any other problems is unlikely to give you any information.

HCG can be checked if there is a history of recurrent miscarriage and a woman is nervous. But again, the reality in early pregnancy is that the HCG can continue to rise with an unviable pregnancy, and really until you are far enough along to see a fetal heart, the HCG alone doesn't tell you much.

Similarly, it is often checked where there is bleeding in early pregnancy, but again, the ultrasound will give you much more useful information.

So all in all, a blood HCG isn't a hugely helpful test for any reason, and although it was commonly done a few years ago, it is becoming pretty standard to not do it anymore.

Edited by Fright bat, 25 June 2016 - 08:18 PM.

#15 Wonderstruck

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:26 PM

I'll add that in some IVF cycles you are given HCG so urine tests might be a false postive so the test is done to ensure it's actually a pregnancy and not residual medication. I had faint false positives about 1 week or so post my last HCG in a negative cycle.

I can understand in wanting the monitoring with your history OP. The hard part is that it often stresses people out and there's not much they can do if the HcG isn't going up as it is expected.

It seems the reference ranges differ heaps and the levels from woman to woman which also can stress people out.

Hang in there OP

Edited by McBubba2016, 25 June 2016 - 07:26 PM.

#16 wannabe30

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:28 PM

I also never had HCG checked, nor most of my friends.

Fright Bat, you might want to check your typo above - I think you mean fetal not fatal. It gave me pause, and might unnecessarily frighten the OP :)

#17 Fright bat

Posted 25 June 2016 - 08:18 PM

Oops! Thanks. Yes, not a good typo, that one!

#18 kyabells

Posted 26 June 2016 - 01:52 PM

Thanks ladies. I've decided to just wait it out.
Funny my DS is 20 months today...so that time has flown. Yet these weeks are just draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagging lol
First scan on July 4th. Figured I'd wait til I was over 7 weeks by LMP to at least not have to worry about going back for another scan (here's hoping). That week in between is bloody torture.

#19 born.a.girl

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:18 PM

I had them done at first day overdue (very predictable cycles)  then two days later, but only because I was on a Category D medication which had to be managed asap after positive test.

#20 Wonderstruck

Posted 26 June 2016 - 04:43 PM

View Postkyabells, on 26 June 2016 - 01:52 PM, said:

Thanks ladies. I've decided to just wait it out.
Funny my DS is 20 months today...so that time has flown. Yet these weeks are just draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagging lol
First scan on July 4th. Figured I'd wait til I was over 7 weeks by LMP to at least not have to worry about going back for another scan (here's hoping). That week in between is bloody torture.

I know the feeling, I'm struggling too. This is my first bub so especially nervous about getting to the scan. Mine is being done at 6w6d on 11 July as the place I'm going at only does them on Mondays and I won't be 7w until the Tuesday. Here's hoping I can see enough at the scan.

I'm only 4w5d and its dragging! Probably because I found out at 3w6d.

Edited by McBubba2016, 26 June 2016 - 04:44 PM.

#21 angieB75

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:01 PM

I've had three blood tests for hcg & progesterone and have another scheduled Tuesday... but I'm coming off an IVF cycle and have a history of early miscarriage 😔 I'm still on hormone replacement so levels need to be monitored. I'm having issues with progesterone and am spotting at the moment so not sure if this will last.
If all is progressing ok I'll have scan next week.

#22 angieB75

Posted 26 June 2016 - 08:15 PM

I've had three blood tests for hcg & progesterone and have another scheduled Tuesday... but I'm coming off an IVF cycle and have a history of early miscarriage 😔 I'm still on hormone replacement so levels need to be monitored. I'm having issues with progesterone and am spotting at the moment so not sure if this will last.
If all is progressing ok I'll have scan next week.

#23 MrsShine

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:45 AM

This is my 3rd pregnancy and the first where HCG wasn't going to be routinely screened for when I went to GP to confirm pregnancy. I assumed it was because she didn't want me to stress or over analyse unnecessarily since our last pregnancy ended in miscarriage. Eventually she included it on a blood test but wouldn't tell me the numbers over the phone, only said "those are perfect for how far along you are"

#24 laciem

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:40 PM

My GP doesn't check HCG as standard.

It was added to my test, I think because my cycle varies by up to 17 days so we are not sure exactly how pregnant I am yet.

Im putting off my scan a bit too because while I think I'm 7 weeks today, that is based on a 28 day cycle so I could be way out.

#25 Oriental lily

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

5 pregnancies ( 4 babies ) and only had hcg checked due to bleeding that went on to be my miscarry .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.