HCG not checked

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 JBH

Posted 08 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

My dr says she never orders a blood test that won't tell her something she doesn't already know. After all, tax payers fund each test. A single hcg test won't tell you any more than a home urine test. Betas tell you something, but aren't necessary in a pregnancy without particular risk factors.

#27 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:19 PM

Kyabells my history is similar to yours. It can be an absolute rollercoaster and very stressful on every aspect of your life - work, relationships, you name it.

I had numerous tests (every second day) but it was solely for my mental health and in order to keep me functioning (and going to work).

If monitoring and 'knowing' makes you less stressed than waiting for a scan, get the tests - your GP should co-operate and if not get one who does understand.

If checking all the time makes you feel worse, don't.

I understand the tests cost money and so does the Drs time. On the other hand, keeping me at work and paying tax was important too.

Every situation is different. Wishing you good luck.

#28 Chaotic Pogo

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:21 PM

PS, I agree with Frightbat the test is not a routine necessity.  
But when you are a RM patient other factors are important too.

#29 Mistletoe Kisses

Posted 08 July 2016 - 03:36 PM

I didnt with DD or my second and third pregnancies. Levels were requested for my forth only due to the fact I'd miscarried twice in a row. Before that i didn't even know they could test the hcg levels. Im my subsequent pregnancies I had to request it as its not technically supposed to be done in routine non threatened pregnancies. If everything seems to be going well and you're getting some symptoms a bHCG isnt necessary and will only serve to make you anxious about whether the level is high enough.

#30 laciem

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:52 PM

My GP ordered bHCG as part of my initial blood tests which were done a week ago. She didn't say exactly why but I had a few question marks hovering over me such as a very irregular cycle, some spotting and I'm also considered underweight.

I would assume that as I haven't been contacted about the results they are all ok?

I haven't had a blood test since I was 12 so no clue if I'm supposed to follow it up myself.

#31 Wonderstruck

Posted 16 July 2016 - 06:51 AM

Doctors usually ask you to make an appointment/come in if they see and irregularily but if you're concerned why not just pop in to see the doctor for piece of mind.

Doctor might be trying to work out roughly how many weeks you are to work out when you should have a scan for dating purposes.

I had spotting and bleeding at 7w and the scan and bloods ruled out anything sinister.

Good luck!

Edited by McBubba2016, 16 July 2016 - 06:52 AM.

#32 laciem

Posted 18 July 2016 - 02:25 PM

I'm not too worried. I tend not to be a worrier.

I had the early dating scan which put me at 7 weeks not 8 as the GP and I had estimated. Technically I should kick myself out of this group as it put me into March (just) but I'll stick around if that is ok :)

If anything the scans and tests make me worry more than I would normally. About 10 minutes before the scan I suddenly was terrified they'd be no heartbeat or they would find something wrong. Seemed to be all ok though.

#33 cherryjump

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:56 PM

My HCG levels weren't tested in my two pregnancies.

#34 Ellie bean

Posted 01 March 2017 - 04:39 PM

I can't remember my levels being tested in my 2 pregnancies, I don't think I even heard of hcg till I joined EB in my second pregnancy, no dr ever mentioned it to me, but I was fortunate not to have any losses. If I had then I think I would want it done for peace of mind. I hope everything goes well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.