Shocked- how are OBs booked this early

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Hackany

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:33 PM

(Apologies if I'm not using the right acronyms - still don't know any of them!)

I've just spent the better part of this afternoon scrambling to get an obstetrician.

I tested a day before my period was due, and via a GP visit I'm just on 5 and a half weeks. I'm pretty blasé about this pregnancy, not exactly sure why, but figured I'd see if I get to 6-7 weeks before I start really planning things.

I have a cold and came home sick (isn't it funny how hard the immune system works already. Can't beat this cold!) and thought in a moment of boredom I'd do some fee research. Long story short, after ringing four, I got into the last spot for February on my second favorite. She shares care with another who was my first choice (both recommended by the GP), so I never even bothered asking whether she was available.

But seriously?! I feel like I'm embarrassingly early to even say I'm pregnant, expect/will be unsurprised if I miscarry (as sad as that would be) but for the second time mums out there - is there anything else I should be getting onto now?! I scrambled and did an e-admissions for Prince of Wales Private too while I was at it. Didn't want to risk that either...

Edited by Hackany, 27 June 2016 - 08:18 PM.

#2 Kafkaesque

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:40 PM

If doing the 12 week scan look at booking that. The good places booked up really quickly and I struggled to get an appointment that suited me in the required time frame.

#3 mandala

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:42 PM

Not my DIG, but...

It's because they take bookings for a month at a time. My first pregnancy, my EDD was March 31 - and I had to call six OBs to get in. I tested at 10DPO and was calling at 11 DPO. Yes, I wasn't even four weeks pregnant!

I'd realised what was going on by the sixth OB, and told the receptionist my EDD was 1 April ;)

#4 BubbleBird

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:44 PM

Are you due towards the end of the month?  I guess that obs take on a certain number of women per month and that quota fills with women due earlier in the month. That's my guess though could be wrong. Glad you got in to someone you are happy with. There probably isn't anything else you need to rush as this point. Good luck with the pregnancy!

#5 laciem

Posted 27 June 2016 - 07:48 PM

Eeek. I haven't decided on public vs private yet or even settled on which state we will be living in February next year.

#6 Wonderstruck

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:06 PM

I heard this from others so booked at 4 weeks, the day I had a blood test, I only found out by a HPT the day beforem I had nothing much to go on to choose but just had to dive in. It's crazy. I'm also due end of the month.

I'm in Inner West Syd and wanted a CBD OB and to deliver at the Mater. Both are popular options I guess.

Some people say they are due a day or two later if they're end of month so they can get in on the next months quota. My EDD is 28 Feb so probably would have struggled to get in much later.

I was worried about the possibility of m/c etc (this is an IVF bub) but I guess the receptionists are used to it if it happens.

I booker prenatal classes at the hospital as they said to book by 10 weeks if you can in their info booklet.

Glad you got it sorted :)

I thought I was being a crazy excited first time mum to be...apparently not so crazy.

Laciem. Why not make an initial appointment with a private OB. If you decide to go public you can decide after that appointment?

Edited by McBubba2016, 27 June 2016 - 08:09 PM.

#7 MrsPuddleduck

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:19 PM

My ob used to look after a lot of women he did fertility treatments for. He also reserved spots for "repeat customers" :) He booked out pretty quick.

#8 Hackany

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

Thanks ladies; will know for next time- crazy!

And Laciem, I had no real idea either, I mostly booked private as it seemed like in case I wanted it, I'd better want it early! In reading some of it now, I think it really is what I want...

#9 Fright bat

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:24 PM

Older established obs reserve spots for women they have cared for before. It's like a school - once you have the first kid in, you're set. Mine told me that even if we returned to the country at 36 weeks, they would take me on the books for delivery as I was an old patient.

#10 Wonderstruck

Posted 27 June 2016 - 08:27 PM

That's nice to know Fright Bat. I also like the analogy.

#11 RunningRuby

Posted 29 June 2016 - 09:59 AM

Not my DIG but I found all your answers really interesting to read. As a newbie, I'm now thinking, how do you go about finding an OB? I have private health insurance but not sure if I will go private or just stick with the Royal Women's Hospital in Melbourne. When I find out I'm pregnant, do I just google OB in my area? Or at a possible hospital I want to go too?
I've had a few friends who've had babies recently (last year) but I wouldn't want to ask to them when I'm only 4-6 weeks.
Reading all your stories has me a little scared now. I should be able to test early next week.

#12 Lou-bags

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:06 AM

InternationalMami-

My advice would be to choose your hospital, then check with your health insurance which OBs are no-gap (they should have a list on their website), then phone them first. Personal recommendations from friends are good too, but I would ask specifically what it was they liked about the OB as we all have differing priorities.

Good luck!

Edited by Lou-bags, 29 June 2016 - 10:07 AM.

#13 Freddie'sMum

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:17 AM

If you are thinking that you might have sex with your partner and which may lead to a possible pregnancy - book in NOW :)

It's a bit like putting their names down for school - so taking the above scenario - put the aforementioned unconceived, unnamed and unborn baby (possible Junior) and put their (as yet not born and don't have a name) down NOW.

Best wishes OP.

#14 namie

Posted 29 June 2016 - 10:32 AM

I'm not in this DIG but when we were TTCing, I visited a friend in a private hospital in Melbourne and knew I wanted to go there too.
If I hadn't been to see her, I had planned to do some tours to see what they were like.

Once I knew I was pregnant with #1 I told my GP which hospital I wanted and he gave me the names and numbers of two Obs who worked there. I Googled them and made my choice based on proximity to work and hospital.

It was strange being booked in by 5 weeks with my first appointment not till 9 weeks! It was the strangest 4 weeks, lol!

#15 RunningRuby

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:22 AM

Thanks Lou-Bags, no-gap would be nice, so I'll have a look now!

Freddie's Mum, I like your style haha! We have a childcare centre across the road from us and I was thinking I should maybe enrol a possible child as soon as we get the positive HPT. The waiting times you hear from some places are ridiculous!

#16 theboys2

Posted 29 June 2016 - 11:51 AM

View Postmandala, on 27 June 2016 - 07:42 PM, said:

Not my DIG, but...

It's because they take bookings for a month at a time. My first pregnancy, my EDD was March 31 - and I had to call six OBs to get in. I tested at 10DPO and was calling at 11 DPO. Yes, I wasn't even four weeks pregnant!

I'd realised what was going on by the sixth OB, and told the receptionist my EDD was 1 April ;)

this!

if you are giong to be due early in the month you will be fine, but end of the month? people have been calling and booking for the last three/four weeks!

i had it happen to me as well. EDD 31/12 and 30/1!

#17 Future-self

Posted 29 June 2016 - 12:54 PM

I booked DS into Childcare vetted when I was 3 months pregnant. He was starting at 16 months and I still didn't get my first choice so it's not crazy to book that early PP.

With Obs I only knew to book so early thanks to being a member of EB. I felt foolish calling her at 4 weeks - I got the positive Saturday night and called Monday morning - but the receptionist said well done on being so organised!

I also have REALLY long cycles. So if I had told them my last period date like they go by I would have been considered 11 weeks along with DS and about the same for DD. I knew that was wrong and had tracked ovulation so told them a hyperthetical last period day using those dates. I get early dating scans so it wasn't going give an issue. Obviously I explained the made up date when I actually saw the OB.

#18 Hackany

Posted 29 June 2016 - 03:07 PM

View Postnamie, on 29 June 2016 - 10:32 AM, said:

I'm not in this DIG but when we were TTCing, I visited a friend in a private hospital in Melbourne and knew I wanted to go there too.
If I hadn't been to see her, I had planned to do some tours to see what they were like.

Once I knew I was pregnant with #1 I told my GP which hospital I wanted and he gave me the names and numbers of two Obs who worked there. I Googled them and made my choice based on proximity to work and hospital.

It was strange being booked in by 5 weeks with my first appointment not till 9 weeks! It was the strangest 4 weeks, lol!

Haha that's exactly what's happened to me!

#19 avocado toast

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:42 PM

View PostInternationalMami, on 29 June 2016 - 09:59 AM, said:

Not my DIG but I found all your answers really interesting to read. As a newbie, I'm now thinking, how do you go about finding an OB? I have private health insurance but not sure if I will go private or just stick with the Royal Women's Hospital in Melbourne. When I find out I'm pregnant, do I just google OB in my area? Or at a possible hospital I want to go too?
I've had a few friends who've had babies recently (last year) but I wouldn't want to ask to them when I'm only 4-6 weeks.
Reading all your stories has me a little scared now. I should be able to test early next week.

The Royal women's is fantastic - I had my baby there 3 months ago. If you are in the zone then I recommend going there and saving the cash!

#20 livelifelovehappy

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:55 PM

It's crazy!

I did an early pregnancy test 4 days before being due and got the last slot with my ob...

he doesn't take many and lots are IVF, which i understand people know about earlier due to all the blood tests.

It is hard to then make the cancellation due to miscarriage call, but i think they are very used to that.

#21 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 29 June 2016 - 06:37 PM

I asked a Dr friend if she was happy with her OB and would recommend - she did so I went with that. I had to make the cancellation due to miscarriage call twice, they were very understanding. I felt a bit sheepish to keep booking in and cancelling, but I knew I couldn't leave booking in until later.

#22 MrsShine

Posted 07 July 2016 - 09:50 AM

Hackany who did you go with in the end? (You'll have to PM me) I'm in same area and have a good OB if you have any questions.

I had the same OB with our now 2.5 DD which is interesting as back then I called at maybe 6 wks and had no trouble, I also had no issues booking future apps and changing them from time to time but with our bub we lost earlier this year it was so hard to get an sppointment. I kept having to go on the waiting list for cancellations! Needless to say I called this time as soon as I got s BFP but that's also because I was under their care for the D&C too and this pregnancy was so soon after our loss.

I've heard through a few friends that other OB's at same hospital are not taking any new patients! It's crazy 😜

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.