My husband wasted his vote

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#1 MidgetHippo

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:03 PM

He's working this Saturday, so voted early.  He was just telling me who he voted for as though it's a huge joke.  Among others, Pauline Hanson's One Nation, Derryn Hinch and the Shooters, because, and I quote, they won't get in anyway, so who cares.  No thought, no care.  Just a bloody joke because he can.

I'm so mad with him!  The only way he could have made me madder is if he voted for Nile, Liberal, etc and the health nuts.

Edited by MidgetHippo, 29 June 2016 - 01:03 PM.

#2 LouiseA1

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:04 PM

You have to let it go. Voting is an individual thing. Just worry about your own

#3 MidgetHippo

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:06 PM

View PostLouiseA1, on 29 June 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

I know!  I'll be over it before I get home from work but seriously, One Nation, I thought he was better than that

#4 CallMeFeral

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:06 PM

That is so sad. The whole concept of treating the most important decision we get to make as a joke. I'd be annoyed too.

#5 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:09 PM

I have worked in polling booths for several elections and there are so many times I want to hit people over the head with a piece of 4x2 and have them deported to a country where there is no right to vote.

#6 MidgetHippo

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:09 PM

I think besides the whole its a joke thing, I'm most annoyed because one of our teens best friends is a refugee, and by doing this it's essentially the same as saying he doesn't support their friendship.

#7 sakura73

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:10 PM

I understand your anger too. It really frustrates me that so many people treat voting so lightly. It took so many centuries for us to reach a point where we all have the right to a say in how we are governed.

And as for the "they won't get in any way" - Brexit, anyone?

#8 red_squirrel

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:12 PM

Pauline Hanson has a very good chance of getting in.

You should get him one of their Tshirts and make him wear it everywhere. Then he can explain himself to everyone that asks.

Edited by red_squirrel, 29 June 2016 - 01:13 PM.

#9 No Drama Please

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:15 PM

No I get it. I'd be super p*ssed off as well. Voting for total nutcases is no joke.

#10 dadwasathome

That's what some people thought about Brexit.......

#11 JomoMum

Absolutely. I have very little interest personally in politics, and always just ask DH who to vote for.

We're forced to vote. You can't expect everyone to vote the way you do.. Not you specifically OP, just people in general.

But I get the shock factor.

#12 IamtheMumma

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:20 PM

I'd be very angry and disappointed. He might think its a joke but they don't think they're a joke. Getting votes will make them feel their hateful ways are validated.

#13 ~kacee~

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:26 PM

I'd be angry / disappointed too. In some countries people risk being killed to vote. We are very lucky that we can even entertain the idea of not taking it seriously. While I really hope his votes make no difference, it's the attitude behind it that would rub me the wrong way.

#14 silver-rain

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:26 PM

I'm with you, OP. My parents have a friend who went through the process to become an Australian citizen, then in his first federal election proudly boasted he voted for Alan Border. If you waste your chance to have your say by lodging a donkey vote, you then have no right to complain about who gets to lead the country for the next 3 years.
Wasn't so very long ago that women weren't allowed to vote - damned if I'm going to waste mine.

#15 Jersey Caramel

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:28 PM

That is very annoying. If someone doesn't care I would rather they just post a blank paper into the box rather than voting for the joke parties.

#16 StarandMoon

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:30 PM

I could never figure out why Fred Nile is such a perennial - maybe that many people are just voting for him as a weird joke??!!

#17 aluminium

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:31 PM

oh that would make my blood boil!!

#18 Tender Heart

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:32 PM

View PostFomoJnr, on 29 June 2016 - 01:15 PM, said:

Absolutely. I have very little interest personally in politics, and always just ask DH who to vote for.

We're forced to vote. You can't expect everyone to vote the way you do.. Not you specifically OP, just people in general.

But I get the shock factor.

I love politics!  I think I inherited that from my mum.  :)

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't see it as being forced.  I am very thankful I live in a country where I get to have a say about who I believe should represent me.  It doesn't usually go my way, but that's beside the point!

#19 DJandJ

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:34 PM

OP is there any chance he's just winding you up and actually voted with genuine intentions?

#20 red_squirrel

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:34 PM

If people want to vote for no hope party, can I suggest the Bullet Train for Australia Party.

I don't think they intend harm (but you'd have to check it wasn't secret code for anti-vax these days).
No one has heard of them, and what's the worst that can happen.
Everyone loves a bullet train.

#21 MidgetHippo

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:35 PM

View PostDJandJ, on 29 June 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

OP is there any chance he's just winding you up and actually voted with genuine intentions?

Sadly, no.  He was serious.  

If he had of voted for them for thought out, well reasoned (to him anyway) reasons I'd be very much WTF but get over it.  But to use it as a joke is what has me so annoyed with him

#22 ~Jolly_F~

I really disagree. This kind of voting is why we end up with morons running the country.

I expect the person I am married to take this seriously and do the right thing and if he didnt I would be p*ssed off.

That said my DH isnt really interested in politics, so I give him the list and he follows that but at least he doesnt waste his vote.

OP I would be peeved especially the One Nation thing, I would be wondering who the bloody hell I had married honestly.

#23 Bethlehem Babe

Every vote can help the party get funding.

#24 AggyW72

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:38 PM

That's so frustrating OP! Would it help if we all turned up with pitchforks and flaming torches?

I've been agonising over this election for weeks and still wading through websites, getting my head around all the under the table deals. But I am determined to make my vote count for something.
That said we are in a very safe Labor seat!

#25 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:38 PM

Was it on here I read that Pauling Hanson gets $2.60 for every vote she receives? No wonder she pops up every election time to earn a few bucks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.