My husband wasted his vote

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#101 Mister Mum

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:40 AM

View Posttres, on 01 July 2016 - 07:18 PM, said:

Posting about this issue is more relevant than the myriad of other baby/child related crap that gets posted on here. And yes, even on a parenting website.

I would struggle with this OP, just like I'd struggle to co-exist in the political mixed marriages I read about on here. How are you supposed to bring up children together with such opposing values?

Really?  I think it's easy to have differing political opinions but similar values.  One is not tied to the other IMO.

#102 tres

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:57 PM

ScoMo does not have the same values as me - not for anything.

#103 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:29 PM

It's possible my DH has eclipsed even your DH OP.

I was excited to note that he didn't put Liberal first for the first time in forever.

Until he told me that he was planning to put Labor second until this happened:
http://www.9news.com...rks-controversy

He then put Pyne second ... So what was even the point of voting NXT?

ALL BECAUSE BILL SHORTEN EATS A SAUSAGE FUNNY?

smh

#104 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:39 PM

All I have from that article is the following:

Why is the sausage in a roll?

Wrong just wrong!!

#105 ZombieFerretOfDoom

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

A democracy sausage should be served on a single slice of wonder white, anything else is a travesty.

#106 purplekitty

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:36 PM

View PostZombieFerretOfDoom, on 02 July 2016 - 06:29 PM, said:

A democracy sausage should be served on a single slice of wonder white, anything else is a travesty.
Or old-fashioned, bad-for-you white.

#107 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:37 PM

And that's the thing! He didn't even waste his vote on a real democracy sausage scandal!

#108 Moo point

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:58 PM

I started reading this thread the other day, and I was feeling for you OP.

And then today I think I went one better. My mum, in a staunch Labor area, said she voted for Pauline Hanson and Derryn Hinch parties in the Senate. I said "are you kidding, why??" She said she likes Pauline Hanson, and thought Derryn Hinch was pretty good.

I said how can she like Pauline Hanson, a racist, homophobic nutbag, and mum said "oh, is she?" She clearly hasn't read any of their policies.

I seriously despair. I'm angry that her bogan family and friends (and her conspiracy-loving husband, my darling but deluded stepdad) have convinced her that this is all okay, that climate change is a conspiracy, that Andrew Wakefield was hard done by (yes they are still pro-vax but think he was maligned unfairly) and that migrants/refugees have it too easy. Her children are first generation Australians, our dad emigrated from war-torn Germany. As did my stepdad!

I don't want any bigotry influencing my son, I don't know what to do :(

#109 skylark

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:19 PM

View PostMister Mum, on 02 July 2016 - 11:40 AM, said:

Really?  I think it's easy to have differing political opinions but similar values.  One is not tied to the other IMO.

Agreed. Everyone is so polarised now, and constantly demonising the other side (whatever that may be) in a really vicious way, but that is a very recent development. Even in my younger day it was possible to have polite and vigorous political discussion with people without it being some bizarre witch hunt where if you voiced a political position different to others you'd be automatically branded as a bad person or having bad values or whatever. I think it's part and parcel of the social media-isation of our culture. Widening our horizons in theory but in actuality narrowing our minds and closing our ears until we just exist in our own little echo chambers. Compromise is not possible without understanding. Without compromise we are all screwed.

#110 Nobodyelse

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:18 PM

One Nation has cleaned up almost 20 per cent of the primary vote in the lower house seats of Hinkler and almost 10 per cent in Longman, while Ms Hanson herself is expected to nab a seat in the Senate.

How does your DH feel about his 'joke vote' now, OP?

#111 cashmere

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:46 PM

View PostMidgetHippo, on 29 June 2016 - 01:03 PM, said:

He's working this Saturday, so voted early.  He was just telling me who he voted for as though it's a huge joke.  Among others, Pauline Hanson's One Nation, Derryn Hinch and the Shooters, because, and I quote, they won't get in anyway, so who cares.  No thought, no care.  Just a bloody joke because he can.

I'm so mad with him!  The only way he could have made me madder is if he voted for Nile, Liberal, etc and the health nuts.

Perhaps he did show thought and care in his vote but lied to you about it due to your strong opposing views? Is he generally able to express his political views openly or do you think he tries to go along with the more popular view in your eyes?
It seems so silly to vote in that way if it was a donkey vote as his vote still counts. If he really didn't care he should've left it blank. Totally reckless and irresponsible. I think he may actually stand by his vote which is frightening.

Edited by cashmere, 02 July 2016 - 10:47 PM.

#112 cashmere

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:58 PM

View Posttres, on 01 July 2016 - 07:18 PM, said:

Posting about this issue is more relevant than the myriad of other baby/child related crap that gets posted on here. And yes, even on a parenting website.

I would struggle with this OP, just like I'd struggle to co-exist in the political mixed marriages I read about on here. How are you supposed to bring up children together with such opposing values?

Such a contradiction to the Australian way of life. So many people from so many backgrounds and life experiences whereby mixing with each other is encouraged.... how do you think people in mixed marriages bring up their children?
So it's ok to tell your child not to marry a one nation voter but not ok to deter them from voting labour if their partner's parents fled communism to come here?

#113 Billy Shears

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:38 PM

View PostAlso sprach, on 29 June 2016 - 07:40 PM, said:

The problem with Derryn is that he states he has never voted but now expects people to vote for him.  So essentially, he is a load of hot air.

He has never voted because he feels that it is not democratic to be forced to vote, and also, because by being open about it, there can be no suggestion of political bias when he interviews politicians.

I also voted for him in the Senate because I agree with most of the things he stands for, especially when it comes to bail reform, sentence reform, and domestic violence.

#114 IShallWearTinsel

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:48 PM

As always a Sir Terry quote summing up my opinion of half of the country.

"Vimes had once discussed the Ephebian idea of ‘democracy’ with Carrot, and had been rather interested in the idea that everyone had a vote until he found out that while he, Vimes, would have a vote, there was no way in the rules that anyone could prevent Nobby Nobbs from having one as well. Vimes could see the flaw there straight away."

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.