My husband wasted his vote

• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#26 FloralArrangement

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:45 PM

I get your frustration. What a waste to have a real say how you want the country run and by who. People making funny, random choices can really change what happens. We as a nation are privileged, unlike many other countries, to have the right to vote.

I have a daughter just 18 and a 21 year old who had to do any early vote and they have both asked for guidance to make their vote count. They get it.

#27 c.sanders

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:47 PM

the privileges of democracy... ;)

#28 Speckle Park

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:47 PM

I have voted already and found it very hard to not vote for nut-jobs. Most of the options were rubbish. This has been a very difficult election to find anyone who I support completely.

I wished that I had gotten a postal vote so I could take my time on the jumbo white paper.

Edited by Beltie, 29 June 2016 - 01:48 PM.

#29 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:49 PM

View Post~Jodama_Feral~, on 29 June 2016 - 01:38 PM, said:

Was it on here I read that Pauling Hanson gets $2.60 for every vote she receives? No wonder she pops up every election time to earn a few bucks.

Yes this, I've long believed that Pauline Hanson makes her living from payouts from the electoral commission for her serial failed election campaigns. She has enough of a following to get free media exposure and a big enough vote to get the 4% first preference vote needed for a payout. It's her own (very lucrative) form of work for the dole.

#30 Astrocyte

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:50 PM

My mother, grandparents and brother did a similar thing; just voted randomly really. My mother said she voted in alphabetical order for one of them, and for good sounding names for the other. My brother voted for the shooters party, the motor enthusiasts party and something else.

I was really annoyed and frustrated because such voting is how incapable people get elected (and my family are likely to then complain at an incompetent government without considering the role they played). Plus, it also takes advantage of the privilege we have of being able to vote.  I took a much more serious and considered approach to my voting, but I acknowledge that not everybody will.

#31 Rowenas necklace

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:53 PM

View PostMidgetHippo, on 29 June 2016 - 01:35 PM, said:

Sadly, no.  He was serious.  

If he had of voted for them for thought out, well reasoned (to him anyway) reasons I'd be very much WTF but get over it.  But to use it as a joke is what has me so annoyed with him

Tell him that his vote helps to fund those parties that he considers a joke.

Next time maybe he can just draw a picture of a donkey, if he's so disinterested in the democratic process.

#32 Mrs Claus

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:56 PM

We're screwed by whoever gets in so who cares who anyone else votes for? I always vote for one major party, dh votes the other. I figure we cancel each other out so it would be a lot easier to not have to vote in the first place but that's not an option

#33 .Jerry.

Posted 29 June 2016 - 01:56 PM

To be honest, the Senate voting is horrendous.  (I have done postal vote)

It is enormous (I'm in Qld).  Well over a metre long, full of parties / candidates that you've never heard of.  Totally overwhelming, and I am interested in politics.  
I normally vote below the line and number every box but was glad that this time I was able to go to 12 only.

I reckon there will be plenty of joke/informal/incomplete senate votes this election.

#34 Rowenas necklace

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:09 PM

I think the most frustrating thing for me is that the changes in preferences actually mean that your vote only goes to the people and parties you want to vote for. No more voting for one party and having your vote end up elsewhere.

Any talk of "preference deals" now only refer to the how to vote cards, which are just the recommendations. If you vote for six parties, your preferences don't go any further than that.

#35 la di dah

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:11 PM

I'll be honest,  if my husband voted One Nation I'd kick him out of the house.

People have the right to do what they want, and vote how they want, it's an individual thing, but I'd strongly have to reconsider a relationship with someone who would do that.

Edited by la di dah, 29 June 2016 - 02:20 PM.

#36 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:12 PM

View PostTwo Socks, on 29 June 2016 - 01:32 PM, said:

I love politics!  I think I inherited that from my mum.  Posted Image

I understand where you're coming from, but I don't see it as being forced.  I am very thankful I live in a country where I get to have a say about who I believe should represent me.  It doesn't usually go my way, but that's beside the point!
How are people not forced, vote or be fined
Many rock up to simply avoid the fine

View PostFomoJnr, on 29 June 2016 - 01:15 PM, said:

Absolutely. I have very little interest personally in politics, and always just ask DH who to vote for.

We're forced to vote. You can't expect everyone to vote the way you do.. Not you specifically OP, just people in general.

But I get the shock factor.

This is me, i agree we forced, i dont like it

I haven't watched news since election campaign started, it just drives me nuts, same old crap by different people, same old lies and bs spouted, photo ops

#37 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:20 PM

The fine is $20. It would cost me more to go out and pretend vote than pay it if I decided not to vote.

Edited by ~Jodama_Feral~, 29 June 2016 - 02:21 PM.

#38 TheWanderer

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:22 PM

https://www.youtube....h?v=POB3Dr0uonc

#39 But seriously

Posted 29 June 2016 - 02:57 PM

You are not forced to actually vote. You are forced to go and get your name ticked off and accept a voting form. Then you can leave it blank and put it in the box provided. Simple.

#40 IamtheMumma

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

View Post.Jerry., on 29 June 2016 - 01:56 PM, said:

To be honest, the Senate voting is horrendous. (I have done postal vote) It is enormous (I'm in Qld). Well over a metre long, full of parties / candidates that you've never heard of. Totally overwhelming, and I am interested in politics. I normally vote below the line and number every box but was glad that this time I was able to go to 12 only. I reckon there will be plenty of joke/informal/incomplete senate votes this election.

Its bloody huge. I usually do all below the line but this time I did 6 above. After 3, I was lost who to vote for. The blasted booth was too small to be able to see the whole page and the font was also small. Then the pencil was fixed on the top right of the booth on a short cord. Its like the polling station was setup for you to not vote.

Edited by IamtheMumma, 29 June 2016 - 04:04 PM.

#41 HolleyShiftwell

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:18 PM

i know if Pauline gets in I know who's to blame

kidding :-) Seriously, it would really annoy me

#42 marple

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:22 PM

Yes he just handed some money to Pauline!

And you do not have to vote!!! Why do people keep saying this? You have to have your name marked off the role. You can have your name ticked off by turning up on the day or  pre-poll or postal or mobile. You still don't have to vote for anyone.

#43 hyperion

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:24 PM

I like compulsory voting. I think it allows for a true reflection of society.

The fact is that there are lots of people who are uninformed, apathetic, vote in the way someone else tells them to, make decisions on no logical basis, or are just morons. They all get say in who gets to be in govt. The parties that get in reflect everyone's votes.

And during that brief time when they actually have to do something with that piece of paper, everyone is forced to stop and think about our democracy. Even if the only thing they are going to do is put a blank sheet of paper in a box, its still a conscious decision to not participate.

and everyone should have the right to a #democracysausage. They should not just be for the elites.

#44 MrsWonka 2.0

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:39 PM

:ph34r: I voted for Derryn on purpose .....wouldn't put him in the same bucket as Pauline or the anti vaxxers.

#45 BungyBaby

Posted 29 June 2016 - 04:53 PM

View PostAstrocyte, on 29 June 2016 - 01:50 PM, said:

My brother voted for the shooters party, the motor enthusiasts party and something else.

I took a much more serious and considered approach to my voting, but I acknowledge that not everybody will.
Your brother did quite well, Mr Muir has been a credit to his position, how he got there is a different discussion in fairness.

I live in a very safe seat so all the research and consideration in the world won't make the slightest difference as to who gets to be my MP. Would be nice to get some of that pork barreling.

The senate I vote on who I want to get any money from my vote and try to get a wedge in the Lib/Lab duopoloy, so no prizes for guessing which 3rd party is somewhere in my preferences.

#46 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:07 PM

View PostMrsWonka 2.0, on 29 June 2016 - 04:39 PM, said:

:ph34r: I voted for Derryn on purpose .....wouldn't put him in the same bucket as Pauline or the anti vaxxers.

Out of curiosity, what do you like about him?

#47 eilca

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:23 PM

View PostLouiseA1, on 29 June 2016 - 01:04 PM, said:

You have to let it go. Voting is an individual thing. Just worry about your own

Voting is an absolute individual thing- my husband and I are quite political opposites, but he is respectful of using his vote to make it count, as I am.

#48 katpaws

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:23 PM

My husband accidentally voted for one of the parties that had a misleading name. He's very unhappy. They need to get rid of parties that have names that are misleading.

Like IamtheMumma i could only go three votes above the line before i ran out of parties i wanted to vote for. It would be far more simpler to vote for who you don't want in government.

The ballot form is ridiculously big and doesn't even fit in the polling booths.

I'm working on the election this year and looking forward to the penis votes. Last time i worked on an election, the erection count was quite high (that is people voting by drawing a penis on their ballot paper). I think the penis scored more than some candidates.

#49 MrsWonka 2.0

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:41 PM

View PostLady Sybil Vimes, on 29 June 2016 - 05:07 PM, said:

Out of curiosity, what do you like about him?

I have followed his feed on facebook for a while and like his stance on the need for change in our justice system.  Some of the stories he presents just boggle the mind.  So many families unnecessarily grieving through failure to detain those who intend nothing but harm.
Worth a read if you've not done so before.  And I just couldn't vote for those that called me a double dipper (who I previously supported) nor those who took $1B of our money to not build a road.....

https://www.facebook...ficial/?fref=ts

This
Name and Shame
I’m not getting ahead of myself, because the fat lady doesn’t sing until July 2nd (maybe later for the Senate), but in every interview lately I’m being asked about naming and shaming paedophiles if I get into Parliament.
Would I take advantage of the protection of parliamentary privilege in what is sometimes dubbed ‘coward’s castle’?
Would I persist in what I have done without that protection over the past 30 years which has seen me jailed, fined and placed under house arrest for five months?
Neil Mitchell asked that direct question on 3AW today.
The answer: Yes I would. If it were needed to protect children under threat.
It would not be a kangaroo court. I would not be a reckless cowboy. It would apply only to convicted criminals whose names had been suppressed – usually to protect their sullied reputations. Often to the detriment of victims who get bruised by the courts.
It would be the court of last resort and there would be nothing cowardly about it.
DH

Edited by MrsWonka 2.0, 29 June 2016 - 05:43 PM.

#50 Roxi

Posted 29 June 2016 - 05:45 PM

Wow I would be furious if my husband did that. Maybe One Nation doesn't affect him, but Pauline Hanson hates people like me and encourages others to do the same. There is nothing funny about voting for a racist party.

Happily he told me he was voting greens after seeing a story about refugees on TV. This is his first federal election, I explained to him why I vote greens but I honestly thought he would vote labor.

Edited by Roxi, 29 June 2016 - 05:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.