Who are you voting for and why?

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#26 purplekitty

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:28 PM

View PostMrs Lannister, on 30 June 2016 - 03:08 PM, said:

That's exactly what I'm hoping for
You should read more about the misuse of Parliamentary Privilege.

#27 blue86

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:30 PM

View PostMrs Lannister, on 30 June 2016 - 02:56 PM, said:

That may be the case but out of all of them, he seems the most likely to actually stick to what he promised and not turn around and say 'sucked in- now I'm in charge I'm just gunna do what I want' which is what the others all do.

Except that most of what he wants to do is state based, not federal which means he can't do what he wants anyway because he's running for the wrong branch (which, if he'd actually ever engaged with the process, he'd know)

#28 Gudrun

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

Sex Party for their policies and Labor for their policies and team.

I would like Australia to be in the hands of these people:

Linda Burney
Tony Burke
Jason Clare
Catherine King
Jenny Macklin
Kate Ellis
Tanya Plibersek
Penny Wong
Mark Dreyfus
Chris Bowen
Terri Butler
Andrew Leigh
Anthony Albanese
Claire O'Neill
Wayne Swan

to name a few off the top of my head.  I like their politics, their commitment, their talent, their knowledge, their diligence.

I like how Bill Shorten went about achieving the NDIS. I think he can and will do things.  Positive things.

Labor for the NBN, for Gonski and for tax reform in particular in the area of negative gearing.

#29 Froyohoho

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:38 PM

Greens. LNP and far right last.

#30 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:53 PM

Labor with a side of greens here.

#31 GlitterFarts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:03 PM

Health Australia Party :p

Greens baby!!

#32 Fright bat

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:05 PM

www.donkeyvotie.org

Another link to a site that provides glib but relatively accurate summaries of all the parties.

#33 IkeaAddict

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:06 PM

I have voted Liberals. Lesser of the two "major" evils

#34 Hypnic Jerk

DH and I used to live in a very safe seat.  we vote to make our seat marginal.

#35 Sasha Jensen

I have always voted Greens but over the last few years I have become annoyed with their tendency to sell out their constituents at the last minute. The 2009 voting down of the ETS is just one example. Supporting the changes in the Senate voting, thereby showing they do not support other grassroots parties getting into parliament, was the most recent example.

I can't vote Labor because of their humanitarian blind spot (boat people) even though I strongly admire people like Penny Wong.

I have found a local independent who is left-leaning enough for me to put first on the ballot paper, followed by Labor/Greens (not sure who to put in front).

#36 Gumbette

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:11 PM

View PostFright bat, on 30 June 2016 - 02:30 PM, said:

Unbelievably, there are worse parties eg Rise Up Australia

DH & I were talking about this last night as he will filling in the ballot paper.  Between RUA, Pauline Hansen, Liberal Democrats - it's a really tough call who to put last!

#37 IkeaAddict

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:12 PM

View PostMrs Lannister, on 30 June 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

I voted for Derryn Hinch because he has proven in the past he is prepared to put his money where his mouth is.

Locally I voted Liberal. In the last 45yrs my seat has been won by a liberal candidate every election but 1. I figure it's inevitable so why fight it? Also I believe our liberal candate has done a lot for our region so I'm happy for him to stay in

If you don't want a liberal candidate then you need to vote against it. Each vote is worth a certain amount of money. If everybody voted for who they really wanted versus who was always going to win then wouldn't it be better overall?

#38 Chaos in stereo

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:09 PM

Greens cause I really hate live export. I know the Greens have been a bit too idealistic in the past and failed to compromise to get the best outcome. On other issues, that is. I think this is one issue where we shouldn't compromise or make concessions. It has to go, all of it.

#39 mards

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:44 PM

Malcolm will NOT stop calling our house - just got another phone call!  :no2: :yawn:

#40 caitiri

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:50 PM

My husband is getting masses of calls on his mobile the election, pre recorded stuff, actual people who want to talk.   I have received none..... I keep asking him to hand the phone over but he keeps hanging up. I want to be Polled dammit

Edited by caitiri, 30 June 2016 - 05:51 PM.

#41 JinksNewton

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:01 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 30 June 2016 - 02:32 PM, said:

Labor/Greens.
The proportion yet to be decided.
This. Unfortunately, I'm in Christopher Pyne's electorate, so don't know how much good it will do :(
You never know, though, one day I may be pleasantly surprised.

#42 blue86

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:05 PM

View PostHandsOnNewton, on 30 June 2016 - 06:01 PM, said:

This. Unfortunately, I'm in Christopher Pyne's electorate, so don't know how much good it will do :(
You never know, though, one day I may be pleasantly surprised.
I know your pain, I'm in North Sydney - though to be honest I'm not sure what the new guys name is (since Hockey decided to take his bat and ball and go home early in a huff), Labor didn't even contest the by-election, forgone conclusion that it was. But, maintain the rage, keep putting them last and eventually the tide must turn!!

#43 Fright bat

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:27 PM

View Postmards, on 30 June 2016 - 05:44 PM, said:

Malcolm will NOT stop calling our house - just got another phone call!  :no2: :yawn:

Did he ask for Mrs. The Male Householders Name, like his letter?

I know someone who got a letter to Mr and Mrs X - even though they are merely housemates....

#44 purplekitty

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:30 PM

View Postfrizzle, on 30 June 2016 - 06:27 PM, said:

I'm in Higgins where for the first time ever the liberal member is looking shaky, Ie Kelly O'Dwyer. Carl Katter is running for labor but Jason Bell for the Greens is gaining momentum and changing things so it's now looking marginal. So greens have my vote, they generally do but now there's a good chance they may get in I'm definitely behind them.
Ha ha.
Kelly O'Dwyer,Sophie's mate. She deserves to lose.

Twitter is now investigating her fake complaint.

#45 Soontobegran

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:40 PM

This thread is interesting.
One person only admits to voting for incumbent yet they will win without a doubt I am sure.

View Postmumpty, on 30 June 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

Threats to Medicare - Cuts to pathology and introduction of co-contribution (no matter how small) threatens health.  Labor have promised to protect Medicare

Lack of Gonski - Labor have committed to full funding Gonski

Threats to Higher Education - Labor have promised not to deregulate fees.

And we are supposed to believe them? :)

I think not.

I am Green.

Edited by Soontobegran, 30 June 2016 - 06:43 PM.

#46 la di dah

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:51 PM

I joined the Greens because when I started getting into Australian politics, they were the biggest major that didn't support concentration camps for refugees.

I support not just defending medicare but expanding it. I support building more social housing.

I grew up below the poverty line in America. I don't support the Americanization of healthcare or education. I think most Australians who are chill about that have no idea what they're giving away. I don't support foodstamps or welfare cards.

Even if you're not a big tree-hugger, the bottom is dropping out of coal. I talk to dirt-poor hillbillies from West Virginia who will tell you that. There's no economic argument for staking Australia's future on endless mining, and its criminally stupid to p*ss money away on mining subsidies.

I look at the other small parties sometimes, but all the ones I've seen, I have more issue with their policies or processes than the Greens. I've found the Greens accessible, and I've been able to be involved at a state level as far as policies and delegate council.

I like Senate reform and support it. It doesn't shut out minors as long as they have any grassroots support. It only kills preference swapping. Several legit micros supported it. I don't support a lottery system, I support democracy.

I refuse to support independents or conscience votes. Conscience votes for MPs are deceptive and undemocratic. If I work for free to get your dumb ass elected, you represent the democratic will of the party that got you there, not whatever voice you hear in your head or how you think the polls look that morning. Tell me what you'll vote for and then bind that way so you have to. Flux can eat me with biscuits and gravy.

#47 foom

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:39 PM

View PostTheWanderer, on 30 June 2016 - 02:40 PM, said:

Liberal for house of reps, Labor last
Liberal then Liberal Democrats for senate

Mainly due to company / negative gearing tax.  More money in my pocket this way.

On the Lib Dems. Do you support the full platform or just want someone who will vote to reduce tax. Stuff like privatise all hospitals, abolish Medicare and the PBS, commercial interest rates on student loans.

#48 bec578

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:21 PM

I'm in Macquarie in NSW

Voting Green as they are the only ones who oppose Western Sydney Airport (Badgery's Creek)

Although our local Labor candidate is fantastic, I have met her on many occasions, she personally opposes the airport, but the party supports it, so I want to send a message. I will put them second though

Our current federal member is Liberal & will be last

#49 Gumbette

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:45 PM

Lib Democrats are a bunch of white privileged males sitting around thinking of ways to try and screw the elderly, the sick, the young and the poor. 100% pure arseh0le party.

#50 Lees75

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:09 PM

View PostCanberra Chick, on 30 June 2016 - 08:10 PM, said:

I will be voting Labor followed by Green for both houses as I think the local candidates do an amazing job.

Gai Brodtman is a good constituency MP who seems to care about the local electorate.
Katy Gallagher is also amazing.

I want to put Zed Sesjelja (sp?) last in the Senate but sadly there are even more right sing Christian fundamentalist candidates than him. :(
opportunist.

CC, this is where the changes to voting in the senate will work in your favour. Don't put any of them down. I am putting the first 17 or so candidates down that I like and leaving it there. I am excited about not have to put any of the right wing style parties above the other!

Greens voter here. I was unsure at first, whether to go Labor or Greens, as I am in Kate Ellis' electorate, and I really like her. But I can't, in good conscience, support the asylum seekers policies of Labor, so Greens it is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.