Who are you voting for and why?

• Please log in to reply
226 replies to this topic

#51 blue86

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:14 PM

View PostLees75, on 30 June 2016 - 09:09 PM, said:

CC, this is where the changes to voting in the senate will work in your favour. Don't put any of them down. I am putting the first 17 or so candidates down that I like and leaving it there. I am excited about not have to put any of the right wing style parties above the other!
I agree, but it does remove the satisfaction of putting someone dead last out of 150+ candidates!

#52 Abcde-La-A

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:18 PM

I'm voting Labor in a very very safe Labor seat. I am a rusted-on Labor voter and I also really like my local member, so that makes it easy.

Preferences to the Greens. I like a lot (not all) of their policies but unless they had control of both houses, they would need to compromise and become much more anodyne in order to lead, and I think that would be a shame - I like that robust left wing voice that they provide as a minority party.

Just have to pick my 6th-place holder in the Senate and I'm away. Honestly, LNP are probably the least-worst of my options for 6th place but I'm not sure I can bring myself to do it.

[Edit for typo]

Edited by Abcde-La-A, 30 June 2016 - 10:11 PM.

#53 domsmummy

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:20 PM

Liberals because they are better at managing the economy and I am not convinced Shorten knows anything about anything.

#54 GreyhoundLover

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:21 PM

I'm voting for the Nationals because I think the coalition are better economic managers and a Nationals candidate is more likely to do something for our farmers.

Couldn't vote for Bill Shorten, I find him odious.

Couldn't vote for the Greens because a government needs to care about the economy and defence as well as immigration and the environment.

#55 purplekitty

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:24 PM

View PostGreyhoundLover, on 30 June 2016 - 09:21 PM, said:

I'm voting for the Nationals because I think the coalition are better economic managers and a Nationals candidate is more likely to do something for our farmers.

That's why Barnaby Joyce is in danger of losing his seat.

#56 blue86

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:25 PM

Couldn't vote for the Greens because a government needs to care about the economy and defence as well as immigration and the environment.
My bold

But you're ok with voting LNP?

#57 GlitterFarts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:25 PM

View Postdomsmummy, on 30 June 2016 - 09:20 PM, said:

Liberals because they are better at managing the economy and I am not convinced Shorten knows anything about anything.

I find this interesting because they have f**ked up incredibly and what? tripled? the deficit with plans to privatise medicare and homelessness/domestic violence programs and cut pensions. Yet people say they are doing better? I dont get it :shrug:

#58 GreyhoundLover

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:27 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 30 June 2016 - 09:24 PM, said:

That's why Barnaby Joyce is in danger of losing his seat.

What's why?

#59 Coffeegirl

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:28 PM

View PostMrs Lannister, on 30 June 2016 - 02:45 PM, said:

I voted for Derryn Hinch because he has proven in the past he is prepared to put his money where his mouth is.

Locally I voted Liberal. In the last 45yrs my seat has been won by a liberal candidate every election but 1. I figure it's inevitable so why fight it? Also I believe our liberal candate has done a lot for our region so I'm happy for him to stay in

View PostHands Up, on 30 June 2016 - 02:48 PM, said:

My seat has been LNP since the dawn of time (ok, since the seat was created) but if previous rusted on LNP voters like DH and I are voting for other parties, there might just be others like us. Big swings do happen.........

My electorate is so Liberal, the Labor party have put a 20yo who hasn't even finished uni up against the Liberal candidate. Not even bothering to try.

Sigh.....

And if I look up the actual candidates on the abc.net.au site, I only get 5 candidates on the ballot paper.  Liberal, Labor, Green, Independant and Christian party.  

Assuming there must be more parties on the ballot paper as I have to pick 6 yes?

Nevermind. That is just for the house of reps.   I need more wine.

Edited by Coffeegirl, 30 June 2016 - 09:31 PM.

#60 blue86

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:29 PM

View PostGlitterFarts, on 30 June 2016 - 09:25 PM, said:

I find this interesting because they have f**ked up incredibly and what? tripled? the deficit with plans to privatise medicare and homelessness/domestic violence programs and cut pensions. Yet people say they are doing better? I dont get it :shrug:

Because surplus good, spending bad

Ignoring the fact that a surplus means that the government is holding onto our money and not funding services or building infrastructure or doing anything in the way of investing in our country's future.

But hey, big bucket of monies!

Eta: Coffee girl, the minimum of 6 is for the senate, not the house of reps

Edited by blue86, 30 June 2016 - 09:31 PM.

#61 Bone Apple Tea

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:30 PM

View PostCoffeegirl, on 30 June 2016 - 09:28 PM, said:

My electorate is so Liberal, the Labor party have put a 20yo who hasn't even finished uni up against the Liberal candidate. Not even bothering to try.

Sigh.....

And if I look up the actual candidates on the abc.net.au site, I only get 5 candidates on the ballot paper.  Liberal, Labor, Green, Independant and Christian party.  

Assuming there must be more parties on the ballot paper as I have to pick 6 yes?

6 above the line for the Senate.

For House of Reps you need to number all boxes in order of preference.

#62 purplekitty

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:36 PM

View PostGreyhoundLover, on 30 June 2016 - 09:27 PM, said:

What's why?
The National Party no longer can be said to be the party for farmers.
There is a lot of anger out there.

Free market economics conflicts with protecting primary industry.

I'm not even going to discuss economic credentials,it's been done to death.

#63 Gumbette

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:41 PM

View PostGlitterFarts, on 30 June 2016 - 09:25 PM, said:

To be fair,  they haven't completely ****ed up.  They obviously managed to find an awesome PR company ;)

#64 Fright bat

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:43 PM

View Postdomsmummy, on 30 June 2016 - 09:20 PM, said:

Liberals because they are better at managing the economy

I really don't understand where this myth came from and yet the liberals have managed to convince the entire country of its truth... even though if you look at the last two decades of financial outcomes, the liberals have driven us into the ground despite generally presiding at times of global economic wealth, and Labor have generally saved the economy from ruin despite presiding over times of economic downturn and recession.

I guess if by 'better at managing the economy' you mean tax breaks for the wealthy and corporations, with accompanying devastation of social services for the poor and rising unemployment... sure.

I have said this in another thread - there are plenty of Australians for whom LNP is finanially a better party - I am one of them. And if people want to vote in favour of their own hip pocket - then thats their choice. But I do wish people would be honest about it. A vote for the LNP is a vote for your bank account - not the good of the nation.

1. See above re the economy
2. LNP have done nothing for farmers. They have sold off prime farm land to overseas interests and let large corporations like the big grocery chains destroy prices. By undermining social welfare, it will ensure that farmers facing low income and poor cash flow have few resources to call upon to help, and implementing user pays systems for education and health ensures that the rural poor continue to be locked in cycles of intergenerational poverty. Both the Labor and Greens parties have specific policies regarding supporting sustainable farming practices while supporting farmers and preventing the sale of Australia's prime agricultural land to overseas interests. Its actually more than the LNP who are all about short term and profits, not farmers.

#65 Nasteh Llamah

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:43 PM

Greens all the way, baby.

#66 Fright bat

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:44 PM

View PostGumbette, on 30 June 2016 - 09:41 PM, said:

To be fair,  they haven't completely ****ed up.  They obviously managed to find an awesome PR company ;)

I genuinely don't think they have done that either. Their win this election will be due to a split left, not a well supported right. This is a FAILURE of Labor, not a win for LNP.

#67 Gumbette

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:45 PM

Couldn't vote for Bill Shorten, I find him odious.

Therein lies my problem.  I'm a hard core Labor supporter that vomits into my mouth every time I see that weasel.

I love Malcolm Turnbull but hate the Libs policies.

#68 Bone Apple Tea

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:48 PM

View PostFright bat, on 30 June 2016 - 09:43 PM, said:

2. LNP have done nothing for farmers. They have sold off prime farm land to overseas interests and let large corporations like the big grocery chains destroy prices. By undermining social welfare, it will ensure that farmers facing low income and poor cash flow have few resources to call upon to help, and implementing user pays systems for education and health ensures that the rural poor continue to be locked in cycles of intergenerational poverty. Both the Labor and Greens parties have specific policies regarding supporting sustainable farming practices while supporting farmers and preventing the sale of Australia's prime agricultural land to overseas interests. Its actually more than the LNP who are all about short term and profits, not farmers.

This plus, farmers are particularly vulnerable to the effects of climate change and the LNP are in complete denial it is an issue.  AFAIK they have no policy on tackling the issue.  While climate change is a global issue and population wise Australia is only a small part of the overall problem, that does not give us a free pass to do nothing..

Edited by canstayferal, 30 June 2016 - 09:53 PM.

#69 Nasteh Llamah

Posted 30 June 2016 - 09:51 PM

I get really cranky with people who vote purely by what will benefit their own pockets.

Like, really, really cranky.  I find it incredibly selfish and narrow-minded.

TheWanderer, that wasn't meant to be directed at you, I was thinking about it just reading the thread title, and then you (#notjustyou) came out with it.

#70 Fright bat

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:02 PM

View Postcanstayferal, on 30 June 2016 - 09:48 PM, said:

This plus, farmers are particularly vulnerable to the effects of climate change and the LNP are in complete denial it is an issue.  AFAIK they have no policy on tackling the issue.  While climate change is a global issue and population wise Australia is only a small part of the overall problem, that does not give us a free pass to do nothing..

Not the least of which since advocacy on the international stage is relevant. Even Morocco, a lower middle income country, is going to be 50% solar by 2020. We have no freaking excuse. None at all.

#71 hyperion

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:11 PM

I've been thinking about inequality alot lately.

I think that there is an undercurrent of resentment for the the growing inequality in our world. Brexit and Trump and Sanders are manifestations of this.

Australia has been relatively protected from this due to our relatively strong economy (due to mining boom and good management during the GFC). However the mining boom has ended and there is a real possibility that an "innovation nation" could leave our poorest and least educated far behind with no hope to catch up. Inequality is growing fast.

I dont want Australia to become a nation where increasingly disenfranchised people end up voting for extreme politicians pandering to their fears.

I usually vote Greens. This time I may vote labor because of their platform addressing inequality. Their asylum seeker policy is holding me back, but I also believe that Australia has lost its appetite for draconian measures (as recent polls suggest) and Labor policy is likely to be more humane.

#72 YumChaDaily

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:12 PM

Greens. Then begrudgingly Labor prefs because if it's down to the two majors they are the lesser of two evils.

ETA: Greens because asylum seeker policy, environment funding, health funding, schools funding, arts funding. And they have the right idea in terms of building a sustainable Australian economy from renewables instead of finite pollutants.

Edited by YumChaDaily, 30 June 2016 - 10:17 PM.

#73 lazycritter

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:16 PM

http://www.donkeyvotie.org/

This is a good description albeit tongue in cheek.

I don't understand why the Australian democrats names aren't listed properly. They have the senator's names but not what party.  I think that really sucks for them.

I'm thinking of voting greens and preferencing the democrats. Lnp and Labor aren't getting a number from me in the Senate.

#74 IkeaAddict

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:22 PM

View PostNinjah Llamah, on 30 June 2016 - 09:51 PM, said:

I get really cranky with people who vote purely by what will benefit their own pockets.

Like, really, really cranky.  I find it incredibly selfish and narrow-minded.

TheWanderer, that wasn't meant to be directed at you, I was thinking about it just reading the thread title, and then you (#notjustyou) came out with it.

I have stated I have voted for the Liberals. I could go into the multitude of reasons why but it's late, I need to be awake in 5 hours time and my brain is barely functioning after being awake since 3.30am this morning....BUT....all we receive from the government is the CCB for OOSH (which equates to about $4.50 per week) and CCR for OOSH (about $20 per week). We receive no FTB, no welfare payments, our GPs don't bulk bill (not many do around here for decent GPs)...don't get me wrong, I am glad and feel very fortunate that I don't need any government assistance. The party I chose to vote for will not affect my hip pocket in anyway, unless they increase the amount of GPs that bulk bill (no partys will do this) and decrease the threshold to be able to receive FTB (we are just above the cut off point). We aren't even eligible for a school bus pass since we are supposedly too close to the school yet there are major roads to cross to get there meaning it will be a LONG time before DS walks to school on his own.

All this carbon tax talk and cutting the carbon tax.....made no difference to our electricity bills. DSs school appears to be well funded with good equipment, teachers and facilities. For this I am grateful.

10 years ago I wouldn't have voted for the ALP if my life depended on it. But my outlook on life and things have changed. And it really irks me that so many people are happy to call those who vote for the Liberals/Nationals as being people without a conscience. We do have a conscience. We do know who we are voting for and what we are voting for. Just because it isn't what the majority of people on EB admit to be voting for doesn't mean its wrong.

And of course people vote certain ways for their own interest. If a political party appeared on the scene and offered $5000 for each family that had 3 or more kids of course those people will three or more kids are going to vote for them. If they offered massive tax cuts to people who drive a certain eco brand of car, of course people with that brand of car are going to vote for that

#75 lazycritter

Posted 30 June 2016 - 10:22 PM

I like what the au democrats say. This is from their website:
"
Leave the Majors Blank
29 June, 2016
The Coalition Government and Labor cannot be trusted with absolute power.
Instead of voting for the major parties, send them a message and support minor and micro parties at this election.
Here are just a few of the nasties that the Coalition Government tried to or did bring in after breaking promises after the last election:
* Cuts to funding for the ABC and SBS
* Deregulate university fees
* No dole for up to 6 months for under 30's
* Medicare co-payments
* Allow Financial Planners to give advice to their customers that is not in the customers best interest. (To the advantage of the big banks.)
All of these, and more, were blocked by the Senate cross-benchers.
Do you TRUST Bill Shorten, or Malcolm Turnbull with absolute power? That is what will happen if either wins a majority of the Senate.
In this Federal Election, you can vote for as many, or as few, of the Senate candidates as you want.
You control all of YOUR preferences. When you fill in the Senate ballot (white ballot paper), ensure the cross-benchers are there to protect us all.
Number the boxes for the micro parties of your choice and leave the majors blank.
When you get to Liberal/National Coalition and when you get to Labor/Greens coalition, leave those squares blank."  
http://www.australia...mocrats.org.au/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.