Do you involve your kids?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:39 PM

Do you talk about politics with your kids?

Do you take them along when you vote?

Do you explain why voting is so important?

My kids are all about the election at the moment even the 5yo, she cant wait to go come along tomorrow when I vote. We have been discussing it a lot and why we vote but talking to other parents they feel like its not a kid friendly topic. I feel like if I start young and explain the importance, it might give them some interest in the subject, especially after reading numerous people who dont consider it important.

Just interest to see what others do :)

#2 seayork2002

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:43 PM

Yes we do talk to our son about this for both Australia and the UK (he was born there) and he comes along as I help out at the cake/book stalls at the school but he does not come into the polling station as there is always a long queue

#3 AggyW72

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:45 PM

Yes. My almost 11 year old is obsessed with politics, knows all the major players.
He asks so many questions and is genuinely concerned about how things work.
He is very bright so we can't "dumb" things down or fob him off with a vague answer - he wants details!
I'm so glad too, it means he'll understand the privilege and importance of having a vote. He knows how recently women and indigenous Australians were given voting rights, he knows that millions around the world don't get a say.

Edited by AggyW72, 01 July 2016 - 04:46 PM.

#4 dadwasathome

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:51 PM

Absolutely. Politically based discussions are dinner table regulars at our place. Even ds8 avidly follows the btn coverage

#5 ABabyPlease

Posted 01 July 2016 - 04:57 PM

DS4 is still trying to work out who he is going to tip for the election. He thinks it's a bit like footy with the red, green and blue team all fighting for a win.  

He keeps looking for blue signs as there are lots of green and red where we live. I might have to take him to visit the leafy eastern suburbs to see these.

He doesn't really understand but we are trying to explain which parties like to help people the most.

#6 Agnetha

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:06 PM

I've given dd5 a brief explanation as she asked about the signs with people's pictures. She hasn't shown much more interest as yet but I came from a very engaged family and dp from very unengaged family. ( classic English don't vote but whinge about the result ) dp is quite engaged now though.

#7 FatherofFour

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:10 PM

Yes, my 11 yr old twins are very much into this election. They know about the different local candidates and how they tie into the to main parties. They were very concerned for a while that Mum and/or Dad may be voting for someone else other than Labor.

They have both met Nick X so he is the perennial favorite pollie around here.

#8 IamtheMumma

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:13 PM

Yes. I usually take them with me when I vote and talk through the options. I didn't this year. They're used to political discussions around the house

#9 JRA

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:16 PM

Absolutely, surely isn't that one of the things it is important for a parent to do

#10 FloralArrangement

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:17 PM

If they ask, yes we do. DH and I also discuss politics around them. Our older two are over 18 now.

When I was a child, parent and grandparent made a big deal of it and keeping secret who they voted for. Never got that. They all were fond of making a big deal of not letting children over hear stuff, most not a big deal and children should be seen and not heard at the dinner table. We parent very differently.

#11 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:22 PM

View PostJRA, on 01 July 2016 - 05:16 PM, said:

Absolutely, surely isn't that one of the things it is important for a parent to do

I very much think so but if you have no interest I guess you wouldnt bother. At least that seems to be what I have come across in recent discussions.

#12 Octopodes

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:45 PM

We talk about politics a lot even when it is not election time. 'Democracy Sausage Day' has been eagerly anticipated in this house and not just because of sausages. We've talked about who DH and I are going to vote for and why. We've talked about why voting is important and how lucky we are to live in a country where democratic voting isn't a life threatening activity. We've talked about good policies and not so good policies. We've talked about how voting in both houses works and the differences between an MP and a senator and so much more.

DS9 has spent much of the last 2 months creating posters of his own political platform for when he becomes PM (in his spare time, between inventing personal teleportation devices and time travel). He is going to free the refugees, build more wind turbines and solar panels, plant more trees, protect endangered animals, give money to the poor, make university free and shut down mining.

The 3 of us will be down at our local polling place bright and early tomorrow.

Edited by r0cket, 01 July 2016 - 05:52 PM.

#13 greenthumbs

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:56 PM

I will. Only 4yo here though. I plan on saying that voting is where you get to decide who is the boss of the country. That's it as far he'll ask.

#14 No Drama Please

Posted 01 July 2016 - 05:58 PM

Ours are only 5 and 7 but for sure we talk about it. Same as PP, politics were for some reason deemed not to be discussed when I was was growing up but for the life of me I can't figure out why.  

It's so important to learn how things work, it's part of life, and has a massive effect on their futures so I think start opening up a conversation as soon as they start asking.

#15 SnazzyFeral

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:03 PM

DS (4) has come door knocking with me and knows a bit about tomorrow though he thinks it is about who is going to be the teacher because leadership is a bit abstract. We are lucky that his daycare has a strong moral and ethical underpinnings that influence the way the whole place works. His teacher in particular well educated and talks about politics as part of the pre school program.

#16 Tender Heart

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:04 PM

Most definitely.  Politics, ethics, general conundrums...  Love a good dinner table conversation!

#17 BeAwesome

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:11 PM

We talk about politics openly in front of the kids.  I try not to bring it up with my parents when my kids are around, as they have some offensive views surrounding refugees (though fortunately pro marriage equality and environmental issues).

My nearly 8 asks some intelligent questions, my 4 year old is oblivious.

#18 Jingleflea

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:27 PM

My 6 yr old knows a basic version of the election.
She's more excited about the market day her school has though.

We take her with us, it's easier to all go at once. Mum and dad used to go separately so one parent would be home with the kids.
Plus, democracy sausage!

#19 DebbieDoesSanta

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:28 PM

What on earth for?

No talks of politics here. Kids are kids. Plenty of time for that sort of disappointment in the future.

#20 Pearson

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:29 PM

Yes, we involve our children in politics.  They can vote when they are 18.  There are only so many elections in their life.  
While I would be mortified if my kids voted Liberal, I believe that you should educate them on how to make their vote matter, and how important voting is, above all else.  Hopefully I have educated them well enough to understand why not to vote Liberal.
I would never send my child out unprepared for anything, let alone something as important as voting.

#21 bakesgirls

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:33 PM

Yes. My kids will follow my views on social justice, universal healthcare, refugees, global warming, education, penalty rates and every other topic I can think of. I vote Labor or Greens. I'd be horrified if my kids ever voted Liberal. They know this.....

My partner is not allowed to discuss his politics in front of my kids. He thinks like his ignorant parents and I'm working hard to make him see the light. I try not to get too frustrated with him. He can't help that his parents think like they do and he was bought up that way.

Edited by bakesgirls, 01 July 2016 - 06:42 PM.

#22 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:39 PM

Why? She has her whole life to be bombarded with the bs Me and dp talk politics in front of dd but she igmores us Dd wouldnt even know there an election on tomorrow, she hasnt asked, i havnt bothered to tell her, dp may have and if he has, it went over her headAll she cares about tomorrow is its a weekend and she dont have to get up for school

#23 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:40 PM

View PostDebbie Downer, on 01 July 2016 - 06:28 PM, said:

What on earth for?

No talks of politics here. Kids are kids. Plenty of time for that sort of disappointment in the future.

See I dont get this.

Sure kids are kids but they are smart and capable of great understanding on many topics. Some adults would benefit from listening to kids at times.

But then no topic is off the menu at our place, we discuss everything open and honestly.

#24 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:44 PM

I try but they have zero interest in anything I have to say on the subject. If it doesn't eat hay or consume fuel they just don't want to know.

#25 Octopodes

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:45 PM

View PostDebbie Downer, on 01 July 2016 - 06:28 PM, said:

What on earth for?

Going by that logic why talk to them about anything? Why bother sending them to school?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.