Do you involve your kids?

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#26 DebbieDoesSanta

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:47 PM

View Post~Jodama_Feral~, on 01 July 2016 - 06:40 PM, said:

See I dont get this.

Sure kids are kids but they are smart and capable of great understanding on many topics. Some adults would benefit from listening to kids at times.

But then no topic is off the menu at our place, we discuss everything open and honestly.

Kids don't need to have an interest in politics to be proven smart. Our kids are not remotely interested.
A 4 year old talking politics? w**ky.

#27 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:55 PM

View PostDebbie Downer, on 01 July 2016 - 06:47 PM, said:

Kids don't need to have an interest in politics to be proven smart. Our kids are not remotely interested.
A 4 year old talking politics? w**ky.

Did I say that talking politics meant a kid was proven smart? No I did not. You did.

My kids generally ask about stuff regularly pops up in their lives. This was one, we discussed and now the youngest is interested in where it happens and what we do, the older ones have been numerous times before.

If its w**ky for them to show an interest and ask questions, fine. I am happy for us to be w**ky then :)

#28 got my tinsel on

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:58 PM

DD has been taken to the polling booths since she was a newborn.  As fairly ancient parents, we didn't have family that we could leave her with anyway.

We've given her age appropriate explanations as she got older, and she was always really excited to go to the school with us.

At 16yo now, I'd say she's politically savvy.

#29 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 01 July 2016 - 06:59 PM

My 9 yr old is quite engaged - he's watched the news and the odd Mad as Hell - he knows the candidates and has an opinion. We are making Election Day cupcakes together for the P&C store.

My four year old is not that interested - I'd have no hesitation in involving him if he were though - I think it's never too early to start them being engaged with the process.

#30 ImperatorFuriosa

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:06 PM

Try to, my kids aren't even remotely interested. DS1 13 is more interested in the polymer clay he got today.

#31 Paddlepop

Posted 01 July 2016 - 07:12 PM

We always take 6yo DD with us, and try to keep her under control. She usually would prefer to dance around the school hall we vote at than be quiet and stand near us. She also asks a million questions like why are the pencils tied up to a string, who made the cardboard booths, where's her piece of paper, etc.

As for politics we don't really explain much beyond grown ups have to choose who gets to be boss of the country. She's happy with that for now.

#32 **Xena**

Posted 01 July 2016 - 10:40 PM

Yes I do. I think it's important to discuss what issues I find important and why I like certain party policies. Plus they asked questions after noticing I'd drawn devil horns on a picture of our local Liberal candidate that came in the mail (in my defence he is a prick and blocked me on Facebook for providing peer reviewed journal articles disputing his claims).

#33 GlitteryElfFarts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:00 AM

We do a little. DD12 has had more to do with it at school. DD16, well she just says what she thinks and doesn't care who is around to hear when it comes to politics.
Since finding out about her heritage(as far back as it is) she is very outspoken. DD12 just listens to her talk.
DD16 had to do animal vaccinations this morning. Quickly clean up and then man the cancer council cake stall they have at the school. So when we go up to vote, we are dropping DD12 with her. Might take her mind off the bird passing away overnight.

#34 Therese

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:02 AM

My girls are 13 and 16 and we often have discussions about politics.  My 16 year old wishes she was old enough to vote and can tell you exactly who she would vote for and why.

#35 suzy-c

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:15 AM

Mine are too little, at 3, 2 and 1. They're also very late talkers, so it's hard to know how much they understand.

I worked on elections from birth, as Dad was a Labor pollie. If you're a member of a party, I highly recommend you taking them along, on election day, to help out. We got letters of thanks for helping, from our local member, when we were 7 or 8yrs old. It was the first mail ever addressed to us. Worth doing!

#36 StringArt

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:27 AM

A conversation from my 6 year old on the way home from sport today. We have been watching the news a little more than usual this week, with lots of talk of elections, Brexit ect. I didn't notice he was interested.

DS6: is Donald Trump a real person?
Me: yes, he lives in America
DS6: What is a racist?
Me: explanation follows
DS6: how old is Donald Trump?
Me: He's 70 (I think?)
DS6: Then he should definitely know better.

Turns out (to my surprise) he is really interested in elections, voting and the government.

#37 Abcde-La-A

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:50 AM

Not at the moment. He is 4 and the concept of politics hasn't really come up in his reality yet. He knows that the Prime Minister works at Parliament House and makes rules for our country, but doesn't know about the electoral process or about political issues.

We are a fairly politically engaged family so he will certainly be around conversations about political and social justice issues as he grows up. I hope he grows up to feel quite engaged with politics, we will certainly encourage that.

#38 librarygeek

Posted 02 July 2016 - 11:57 AM

View PostAggyW72, on 01 July 2016 - 04:45 PM, said:

Yes. My almost 11 year old is obsessed with politics, knows all the major players.
He asks so many questions and is genuinely concerned about how things work.
He is very bright so we can't "dumb" things down or fob him off with a vague answer - he wants details!
I'm so glad too, it means he'll understand the privilege and importance of having a vote. He knows how recently women and indigenous Australians were given voting rights, he knows that millions around the world don't get a say.

This is my DD10 - she's fascinated in it all.

#39 IkeaAddict

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:21 PM

DS age 6 is obsessed with Malcolm Turnbull. He loves Malcolm Turnbull. We do not discuss politics in the house or with him, DP and I have vastly opposing views. DP took DS when he voted this morning and DS scored a whole heap of How to Vote Labor pamphlets which he has drawn love hearts on and stuck around the house. The sticky tape has now been hidden

#40 EsmeLennox

Posted 02 July 2016 - 12:34 PM

Yes, I discuss it with my kids. We've recently been debating the importance of compulsory voting.

I have pretty strong left wing views, so they've grown up with that...sometimes there is definitely an associated eyeroll and a look between them that says 'sh*t...we've set mum off on one of her rants again'...but underneath that, they have a strong set of social values in favour of supporting our education system, the underprivileged, the environment and removing discrimination and promoting equality.

#41 GlitterFarts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:32 PM

Kinda. Its mostly about dh and i explaining that a huge percentage of australians are morons and why - racist, homophobes, today tonight believing non thinkers, etc.

#42 SplashingRainbows

Posted 02 July 2016 - 01:44 PM

Yes, our eldest is 5 and he has an age appropriate involvement.

My husband and I are politically aligned and interested so it features in our everyday life.

I think political awareness and education and critical thinking are pretty important roles and responsibilities. I'm all for equipping our kids. Leaving it to the teen years is pretty fraught IMO.

#43 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:08 PM

My kids 6,8,10 have been very interested this time.

Started with earlier this term with 10yo having to declare for Trump or Hilary after researching them. 10yo was unimpressed with both but thought Hilary was the lesser evil.

So lots of conversations walking up to the shops (1.5kms each way). Talking about Local, State, Federal. How you vote for your local candidate and how the party which forms government decides the PM which they can change if they want... No direct voting like US presidential.

We also spoke about how no party matches our beliefs so we have to compromise.

Kids went with us to polling booth. They were amazed at the huge senate paper. Helped us number the papers then posted the votes into the right boxes.

#44 reachforthestars

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

Yes but I am careful about how I put things. I do take them along and explain the process/parties and how and why we vote. I also talk about how lucky we are to be able to do so and that others in many other countries are not so lucky. I don't want them to take it for granted nor treat it as a joke as they grow into adult hood.

#45 Squeekums The Elf

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:07 PM

Dd asked if it was election day today, shocked that she knew i said yes
She goes on to ask does that mean we can get whoppers?
Sadly i have to say no as we too far away from a hjs
seems all she took from tv election ads is the vote whopper ad

#46 SummerStar

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:21 PM

Not at all. We didn't even take any when we voted. Just left them all to their own devices while we dashed out to get it over and done with as soon as possible.
I'm not as interested as I should be in it all, if it was something I was more interested in I'd discuss it with them. But it's not a topic that comes up.

Edited by SummerStar, 02 July 2016 - 03:23 PM.

#47 rosie28

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:45 PM

We answer when DS asks about the signs he's been seeing everywhere, and voted with a group of friends and their children at the local primary school. DS is 2 so it doesn't go much further than that at the moment, aside from an essay for each of their baby books attached near the "who was the PM when you were born" question, on exactly why we disagreed with Abbott and Turnbull.

Lots of political discussion around here, they'll pick up on it as they get older no doubt.

#48 SummerStar

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:59 PM

View PostFresh Start, on 02 July 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

I am not having a go but I am genuinely surprised at disinterest from anyone.

It affects your lives and your children's future - education,  health, buying a home. Crikey soo. Who runs the country you will affect whether you can afford to eat.

Not to say I don't do my own research and work out who I'm voting for before going. But it's not a topic I want to have discussions about. And the topic never comes up in our house.

I do my reading and decide because I have to the week prior. Not because it's something I enjoy researching.

Edited by SummerStar, 02 July 2016 - 04:00 PM.

#49 TinCat🐱

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:16 PM

Took my 9 year old with me to vote today, and had a discussion about how it all works.

He was interested, it's a good start.

With discussion on EB in the last few weeks showing either disinterest or a lack of understanding of how it works, I think it's important parents lay the groundwork before they get to it in school

#50 *Spikey*

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:21 PM

Yep, DD came along and happily took flyers from everyone. She asked about who 'we' were voting for, and I told her that as a parent, I would be voting for the interests of Australian children - so in line with "I give a Gonski" - and to protect Medicare and other social public goods.

As I'm also involved in animal welfare, that affected my vote - as did those who actively supported renewables (I live in an area with a massive windfarm, and the locals love it *blows raspberry at Joe Hocky*).

I also put the Christian Democrats last. Fred Nile and his coven are despicable stains on the great state of NSW.

And wasn't it nice not to have to fill out fifty zillion candidates in the senate?

It was a relief not to have to decide the relative rankings of worse to despicable amongst the minor parties, so it was a relief not to dive into the morass of universal hatred.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.