Was your polling station waiting time longer than previously?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 seayork2002

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:12 PM

I was at ours helping on a stall and it was double the length than the last 2 elections. What were the others like?

#2 BadCat

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:20 PM

Quick as.

Would have been in an out in 10 minutes except I stopped for a democracy cupcake.

#3 lissyrose

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:22 PM

Yes! Last time we pretty much walked straight in and got it done this time we had to wait in line for 20-30 minutes. Went roughly at the same time too

#4 Dionysus

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:23 PM

Went earlier in the day last time, basically walked straight in

This time did an absent vote - took ages, but the normal queue was long too

Went at lunchtime though

Edited by Dionysus, 02 July 2016 - 02:23 PM.

#5 **Xena**

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:31 PM

Last year I had to wait, this year there was no one. Last year though I went earlier than this year.

#6 BBC

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:33 PM

Went at 11am. Saw queue out the door and into the car park.  Went back home.  Will try again about 3.30pm.

#7 José

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:33 PM

I waited  a couple of minutes

#8 Riotproof

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:34 PM

Everyone in my local Facebook groups is whining about it. The line was long at our school, but the line moved quickly. And the coffee was great.

#9 BBC

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:35 PM

Both my teenagers asked me today if you get free sausages when you vote.

If only....

#10 gravity1

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

Ours was much longer than usual. Had to wait in line for quite some time, then once inside, had to wait until I could actually vote. Of course, that white ballot paper was ridiculously long!

We don't even have a sausage sizzle to make it worth it!

huge Greens presence, and this is a very safe Liberal seat.

#11 Wompyrules

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:55 PM

I arrived just before 12 and it took around 35 minutes. Much longer than in the past. The sausage sizzle was good.

#12 Hayleymumof3

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:57 PM

10 minutes in and out, then stopped for a democracy sausage yum.

#13 karkat

Posted 02 July 2016 - 02:59 PM

About 15 min here. The how to vote people were saying it was due to the change in Senate voting. I know I took longer to vote for the Senate, just trying to manage to hold the huge piece of paper in a tiny booth was time consuming,  then to read through all parties and number 6 boxes.

#14 TinCat🐱

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:00 PM

Yes longer. And no sausages.

#15 SummerStar

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:02 PM

Longer than I'd like. Would prefer to be able to just do it online. That would make it a less awful event for me when it came around.
I long for the day I can just log in and get it over with and not have to push through a crowd of people shoving pamphlets in my face and then queue up for the pleasure of having to attend..

#16 JRA

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:04 PM

A lot longer, and same for most people I know.

First time ever it was the actual voting bit (where the pencils are) that were full and the critical point rather than the signing off of people

#17 seayork2002

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:04 PM

We had sausages, books/toys and cakes - if they put a bar in i would have stayed all day

#18 Owliegirl

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:06 PM

Walked in and out. Loved voting set up where I didn't need to give any votes to the bad guys under the lines!

#19 BadCat

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:10 PM

I still had to vote for bad guys.  There weren't enough good guys.  :(

#20 skylark

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:16 PM

I always vote early to avoid the crowds, so I voted yesterday at the early voting centre in our suburb. My husband had an hour's wait today, the queue went out the school door, across the playground, out the gate, up past the car park along the access road almost to the main street. Couple of hundred  metres at least!

#21 rosie28

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:17 PM

We waited about 20 minutes, with cakes and a group of friends, which helped with the unruly group of toddlers we had between us.

#22 AmicusCuriae

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:23 PM

The line was long but moving fairly quickly, so we enjoyed our democracy sausages while we waited.  Looked like everyone was getting in and out even with the new senate voting.  We were there at 12 and the poor ballot box guard was struggling to squash the senate ballots in the box, Pitt whoever has the job of unfolding them to count!

#23 blackcat20

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:25 PM

Definitely slower than previously, waited 20 minutes or so. The weird thing is, all the voting booths werent even being used so not sure what the hold up was.

#24 MooGuru

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:29 PM

Ours was crazy!  First time I've voted there and I'm all special so have to see the organiser person. I swear a woman almost went me thinking I was queue jumping her when the official showed me where to wait.   She kept going on about how she's in the queue and has been waiting. Wouldn't listen to the official's "it's a DIFFERENT line" logic at all. She kept glaring at me and wouldn't let me past her to go to where they told me to wait. Then they called her over and she looking at me all "oh yeah not so special now are you!"

It was a terrifying insight into the cut throat world of election day. :lol:

#25 Team Awesome

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:32 PM

Faster than earlier this year. This year is the first lot of elections in 8 years we haven't pre-polled. In previous years lots of complaints about wait times.

No sausage sizzle or other stalls but works out well for us as DD3 can't usually eat them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.