Was your polling station waiting time longer than previously?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#26 dadwasathome

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:34 PM

Shorter at the one where I finally voted for my new electorate. The queue at the same booth for my old electorate was 5 times as long.

Long lines at the other two booths I've seen today, and I walked away from one because of it.

#27 NunSoFeral

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:37 PM

Hit it at 9.10 - walked straight in.

Democracy sausages were not ready.
No conciliatory cupcakes either.
DS 11 was leaning over my shoulder making "mmm...mmm..good choice" murmurs, while DS7 "swam' on the floor behind me, DD5 bunny-rabbited into all and sundry and DS 8 proclaimed loudly he had the squits and had to go right NOW.

Fabulous morning.

#28 GlitteryElfFarts

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:37 PM

Nope. It was actually about the same if not shorter.

#29 mumto4boys

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:45 PM

Went about 3pm. The line was longer than usual but still less than 5 minutes.

#30 Inkogneatoh

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:47 PM

Way quicker than normal. But then again I voted 2 weeks ago at a pre-poll station. As a result I missed out on the sausage sizzle, cake stall and raffle the seniors at the prep-12 school run. Plus I had to deal with pushy pamphlet dealers, and a slow moving accomplice, who likes to stop and collect all the paper.

At the local elections a couple of months ago it took me longer to walk to the middle of the school, with my head down looking annoyed and avoiding the pamphlets, than it did to line up and vote. I was in between trips to the hospital to visit Mum, so I was annoyed I couldn't get into the carpark I was walking through because of the pamphlet people.

#31 YumChaDaily

Posted 02 July 2016 - 03:53 PM

Ours was quicker than last time. After we came out there was a big queue though. Maybe I spent too long with my big white paper :secret:

#32 born.a.girl

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:05 PM

More people handing out how to vote than voters in the queue for me, but we did go at 1:30, so maybe hit a lunchtime lull.

The only time I've had a loooong queue was at a pre-poll station, which was chaotic as no one knew if they were in the right queue (or what that queue was for) as there was no one directing anybody, and the signs for what we were queuing for were on the front of the counters, obscured by the people in the queue!

#33 Coffeegirl

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:08 PM

Stepped in line at 11 walked out at 11:25.  

Hubby went an hour later and walked straight in.

Sausage sizzle was on opposite side of building from the exit so I missed it.

#34 Madeline's Mum

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:09 PM

I popped out and voted yesterday and it was quick with no lines. Busy though, lots of people, lots of older people, beating the rush I suspect.

As I walked in the Greens sign had fallen over and there were no Greens volunteers so I picked it up. The liberal HTV lady told me not to worry about it and leave it there "because no one cares anyway" and offered me a liberal HTV card. I told her I would rather die and snapped a Greens HTV card off after propping not the sign back up and stormed into the centre.

No democracy snag for me either.

#35 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

Our wait was long enough for DH to buy and eat a sausage, and then for me to have a look at the cakes. DH took longer than me to vote this year (I vote below the line, he votes above) because I had already planned my vote.

#36 Bone Apple Tea

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:50 PM

Just got back.  Waiting until later in the afternoon usually means I can zip straight in and out.  Not this year.  Had to fight for a carpark then line up for a good 40 minutes or so.

ETA slightly off topic, but I was pleasantly surprised to see The Greens had such a big presence at my local booth plus the large number of people who were taking their handouts and asking questions.  The Lib lady was standing to one side getting no interest.  Very refreshing for what is essentially a safe Liberal seat.

Edited by canstayferal, 02 July 2016 - 05:00 PM.

#37 Gegemite

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:57 PM

Much longer wait at ours than usual.

#38 jojonbeanie

Posted 02 July 2016 - 04:58 PM

Four voters in our household and we all went at different times. None of us waited more than a couple of minutes.

No sausages or cakes at our polling booth but apparently the one a few blocks away has a whole community fair thing happening.

Edited by jojonbeanie, 02 July 2016 - 05:01 PM.

#39 Lou-bags

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:02 PM

Way longer than normal. But it moved quite quickly.

No sausage or cake stall or the like. Missed opportunity for the primary school, IMO.

#40 Nasteh Llamah

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:08 PM

Have never waited more than 5 minutes anywhere.

#41 VigilantePaladin

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:10 PM

First school we went to we got a park and got out. As we were walking in an older lady said "I hope you're ready to wait. It's over an hour" :omg:  Got back in the car and looked up other poll booths in our area and drove to second one.......which had a line almost 500 metres long :omg: :omg:  Drove to another school and asked people coming out how long it was taking. They said it was about 25 mins. I asked if there was a sausage sizzle and they said yes so we got out.

45 mins, two sausages and two cans of coke later we finally got to vote.....

I think there were a lot of people doing more than the 12 below the line :no2: :no2:

#42 Seven of Nine

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:13 PM

Nope, same as always.

The AEC staff were monitoring how long it took to get to the front of the line.

#43 darcswan

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:28 PM

SO long... I've been here for 35 min and still waiting, still lines out the door. Not sure what happens if it ticks over to 6 and I'm still standing here.

Eta, because I'm still here, I asked and was told that if you're in the line before 6, you still get to vote...

Edited by darcswan, 02 July 2016 - 05:43 PM.

#44 Caribou

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:33 PM

Yes. Last time it was quick in and out. was about the same time around 11am

This time, had to wait about 20 mins in the line. It was definitely more packed than I was used to. It felt like everyone had come out to vote. Makes me wonder how many people didn't vote last time!

#45 Riotproof

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:43 PM

View PostMadnesscraves, on 02 July 2016 - 05:33 PM, said:

Yes. Last time it was quick in and out. was about the same time around 11am

This time, had to wait about 20 mins in the line. It was definitely more packed than I was used to. It felt like everyone had come out to vote. Makes me wonder how many people didn't vote last time!

I'm curious about the stats too. It seems a lot more people postal voted or prevoted than before, so why is everywhere so crowded? It can't just be for the sausage sizzles.

#46 Caitlin Happymeal

Posted 02 July 2016 - 05:58 PM

I worked til 3pm, so jumped across the road to vote just after work. It was awesome. The how to vote people had run out of steam, didn't even try to hassle me. They all looked like they were tired of life. (My Resting B Face probably helped).

No line, in and out as quick as is possible with a meter long ballot paper. I loved being able to concentrate and make sure I was putting the right numbers in the right boxes without feeling like a massive line of people were impatiently stamping their feet.

No democracy sausages, though :( they had long packed up and gone home. Never mind, might go to bunnings tomorrow to fill the void.

#47 Octopodes

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:04 PM

We were at the local high school at 9am to vote. Strolled straight in, no wait at all.

We had to wait last time, but it was at a different school and later in the day.

#48 choccy2

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:17 PM

Was on the doorstep before polls opened. About 5 min tops to get to the ballot papers.

They had less space this time as the local school hall where held was also housing a load of timber being used in renovations, so they had half the space available than in previous years.

#49 Nobodyelse

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:20 PM

I haven't had anything less than a 30 minute wait for the last three elections. I did a postal vote this year.

#50 yummymummycakes

Posted 02 July 2016 - 06:41 PM

I meant to vote earlier in the week but with me & kids sick that didnt happen.

Then had to take DD to ED as she stuck a lolly up her nose, had to medicate her to get it out which means I had a child sleeping until 3pm.

Went to vote with 2 x SN children.... the line was still long.
By the time we got to check in I had 2 in meltdown mode.... literally my 11DS was on the floor rocking!!

Managed to get them both near to the booth to fill in the 3 million mile form and DD9 started head banging..... then an official came over to me and asked me to stop her from banging the floor.

I tried to explain that she wasnt being naughty but sensory overload..... he then said it doesnt matter she has to be quite.

So I literally shoved the form (unanswered) into his arms and told him to shove it!

So for the first time ever I didnt get to vote

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.