Was your polling station waiting time longer than previously?

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#51 Hands Up

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:08 PM

Slow going. We tried at eleven and then again at one, but the line was about 80 people long! Went again at 4pm and only had to line up for about five minutes.

#52 EvesCristina

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:01 PM

Yes!  Unusually long lines everywhere - very different to all previous elections that I have been involved in...

#53 TND

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:09 PM

Ours was quick. About 5 people in line. No stalls and bbqs.

We did try to vote last night. Arrived at 5.10. Was told it was at least a 40-45 min wait and if you weren't in before 6pm too bad. Decided not to wait. Lucky as it started drizzling as we walked to the car.

#54 countrychic29

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:18 PM

Not even one person in front of me..straight in
small queue for absent votes as we are semi rural on the edge of big town so a lot come from the suburbs to us as it is quicker
CfA bbq started at 7.30am with bacon and eggs.

#55 Ellie bean

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:50 PM

Yummymummycakes that totally sucks. If you have the energy I would be complaining about that official, how disgusting.

I was lucky, went at 9am and no queue

#56 Nanaimo Girl

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:34 AM

I was in and out in maybe 5 minutes. I went down quite later in the day though, around 3.30.

#57 Expelliarmus

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:44 AM

View PostRiotproof, on 02 July 2016 - 05:43 PM, said:

I'm curious about the stats too. It seems a lot more people postal voted or prevoted than before, so why is everywhere so crowded? It can't just be for the sausage sizzles.
I read somewhere yesterday that the AEC actually had fewer polling stations than previously. This seems true, because as a PP here says they didn't have one at her local Hall this time and I heard the same from a facebook friend - they went to their usual polling place and it wasn't a polling place.

Decided to look it up: it says on Google there were 9146 in 2013, I found 8390 on the list of polling places for yesterday. Quick and dirty google but seems like it's a factor.

#58 katpaws

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:04 PM

I worked at a polling office. To be honest, i have no idea how long people waited as i was trying to get people through as soon as i could. I heard 20 minutes from one person during one busy period. Some people obtained their sausage first then went to the queue, people were saying.

For me, it took some time to explain to people how to vote on the senate ballot paper (for many people it was confusing, especially people from a NESB or elderly people); people wanted to sit and complain about the senate ballot paper (like one in three); and for many people it took a while for them in the polling booths due to the senate ballot paper. Some people thought the House of Rep ballot paper was the 1-6 vote ballot paper (Senate ballot paper). I had some people who did not want to vote and wanted to discuss this. We also had some ineffective queue controllers, in my opinion, or else my arm is so tiny they couldn't see me waving to get people to me. I gave out ballot papers consistently from 8am to 3pm (then moved to other duties). It got quiet around 5pm but people were still coming in until 5.55pm.

#59 CallMeFeral

Posted 03 July 2016 - 06:20 PM

Ours was longer than usual. I wonder if we made it onto the democracy sausage app or something and that increased the numbers? We certainly ran out of bread hours before we intended to, so there was a high sausage uptake, not sure if it was just bad estimation or they actually sold more than previous year...

#60 Ianthe

Posted 03 July 2016 - 07:45 PM

I waited maybe 10 mins. But I was on the BBQ at church and was keeping an eye on the line. I think the longest anyone would have waited would have been 20 mins.

#61 Claudia Jean

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:00 PM

Edited by Claudia Jean, 12 June 2019 - 05:13 PM.

#62 Sparklearkle

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:12 PM

I only waited a couple of minutes at just after 8:30am. I tried to vote at the local primary school that I usually vote at but it wasn't a polling station this year so ended up at a church. I'd just prefer my sausage $ to support a school. No sausage sizzle but they had a cake stall that didn't seem to have anything appealing on it.

#63 Heather11

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:15 PM

I read somewhere yesterday that the AEC actually had fewer polling stations than previously. This seems true, because as a PP here says they didn't have one at her local Hall this time and I heard the same from a facebook friend - they went to their usual polling place and it wasn't a polling place.

Was certainly the case in our suburb.  There is usually one at the PS and one at the TAFE.  TAFE one wasn't operating yesterday.  

DH went to the PS and had to wait an hour.  It is located in an easily accessible area and on a major road so most in the suburb would go have chosen this booth.

I decided to chose one the next suburb over in a PS in the back streets.  In and out in 5 minutes.  A lady behind me had come from the other polling booth after being told about the long wait.

#64 WigglyMama

Posted 03 July 2016 - 08:36 PM

Only waited about 10 minutes...feel like it took me longer to find who I wanted to vote for in the Senate. I pick my times though - either as soon as it opens or close to the end.

Glad I checked where the polling booths were before I went - wrongly assumed that the school that held it last time would have it again!

#65 JJ

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:16 PM

About a 20-minute wait for me, a bit after 10am. The line got longer behind me... when I left, it was probably twice as long as when I had arrived.

I had never waited more than 5 minutes before.

#66 seepi

Posted 03 July 2016 - 11:32 PM

Super long queues around here. I have never had to queue for more than 5 minutes before.

I went at lunch, saw the mega queue out onto the street and gave up. I tried a different place at about 4 and it was better, but still waited 15 mins or so.

#67 Zesty

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:07 AM

I had a 40 min wait. The bottle neck seemed to be from those marking off the electoral roll, there were only 3 doing that job. Don't get me wrong, they were churning people through as fast as they could, but I think the explanation to the senate ballot added extra time to everyone.

There was not a democracy sausage, slice or coffee in sight. Without taking any of the results of the election into account, I already had the taste of disappointment in my mouth before I voted.

#68 Caribou

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:13 AM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 03 July 2016 - 10:44 AM, said:

Decided to look it up: it says on Google there were 9146 in 2013, I found 8390 on the list of polling places for yesterday. Quick and dirty google but seems like it's a factor.

I wonder why they had less booths? did not enough people volunteer? Or is the budget to hire out halls reduced, if they have to pay at all?

I heard a lot of complaints about people waiting when polling closed at six and they were there before that waiting eons. (I am sure a fair few turned up 5 mins before closing thinking they were safe) regardless, Did they get to put in their vote or was it cut off at six?

#69 jamesandi

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:29 AM

Last time the booth I was at took 3000, this time I was sent to a booth we took about 350.

But it still took us until 10pm to sort those senate papers which we had to drape over chairs.

We have to be accurate so it does take up more time sometimes.

Sometimes some workers are overly official but that is their role at the booth.

I do like volunteering I'm on government benefits and the AEC they do seem to pick staff from different backgrounds so that's always interesting. I used to do a lot of customer service so I enjoyed that yesterday in helping out.

#70 jamesandi

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:33 AM

To my knowledge, people in a queue before 6pm will be processed, but when the door is shut that is the cut off time.

#71 SplashingRainbows

Posted 04 July 2016 - 07:38 AM

About 40 mins for me, but I must have timed it badly. Neighbour was in and out at the same booth earlier in the day, and DH was only about 20 minutes at the same booth. It was moving steadily at least when I was there, just lots of people to get through, and no other booths within 5 minutes drive.

#72 Kavity1

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:34 AM

Longer here too, but we were at the kids primary school and the queue ran around the playground so the kids plated while we stood in line win/win lol

I think it was a mix of less polling places and less workers than normal our school usually had 5-6 people doing the electrol role this time only 3 which slows everything down.

Less volunteers or less money so less volunteers?

#73 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:46 AM

No waiting at all.  We vote at a rural school.
20 mins from Craigieburn where people were waiting an hour, and then they had to get out of the car park

suckers.

#74 Hypnic Jerk

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:51 AM

View PostEllie bean, on 02 July 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

Yummymummycakes that totally sucks. If you have the energy I would be complaining about that official, how disgusting.

I was lucky, went at 9am and no queue

I'll complain for you YMC.  I have a rule, I do not apologise for my son.  He is who he is.

#75 seepi

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:41 AM

View Postjamesandi, on 04 July 2016 - 07:33 AM, said:

To my knowledge, people in a queue before 6pm will be processed, but when the door is shut that is the cut off time.

I heard the AEC got onto twitter to tell ppl to stay in line, and their vote would count after 6, as it was unexpectedly busy, and lots of booths still had queues at 6.

I'm glad I didn't do my 5.45 plan to beat the queues!

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.