Election Night Discussion (was Am I the only person...)

• Please log in to reply
1495 replies to this topic

#1476 IkeaAddict

Posted 10 July 2016 - 11:39 PM

I think they will keep Turnbull as pm if for no other reason than to prove a point. "See, we have stable leadership" blah blah. Will be a selling point at the next election

#1477 Mistletoe Kisses

Posted 11 July 2016 - 02:32 AM

Yea I think so too IkeaAdict. Probably only for this term though then will no doubt replace him for the next election.

#1478 jamspread

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:20 AM

View Posthyperion, on 08 July 2016 - 03:59 PM, said:

Jamspread do you believe in climate change and it being caused by human activity?

Yes I do absolutely.

I also think Turnbull will see through the term, possibly into the next election. A pox on Libs if they bring back Abbott.

#1479 *Spikey*

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:24 AM

Lol, see I think that's what the strategically minded people in the LNP will be thinking, and want to do. I also think that's not a bad idea as it happens. It would give Turnbull a chance to have something to show for his stint at being PM.

Only concern I have, is that the party is stacked full of far-righters, and unless Bernardi splits off into his own show (and it would please me no end if he did), they won't be able to contain themselves - and they will roll yet another sitting PM.

Abbott ran a "Tony for PM" campaign, and intentionally ran down Malcolm's campaign in public. That did not go unnoticed - he is reapplying for that job as soon as Malcolm shows a whiff of weakness and the poor results are definitely in that category. He believes that he would have won by a landslide if he stayed - so do Bernardi and various others. They don't get that there would have been a landslide, but one that buried them.

I think we're up for three more years of stalemate in respect of legislation. There is still so much that hasn't passed - and is unlikely to.

#1480 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:34 AM

I can't see him lasting a full term. His popularity with the public relies on him being socially progressive (in Liberal terms) but the conservative arm of his party won't allow him to be that. I think his poll numbers will go down and he'll be removed.

It would take an enormously skilled politician to manage this parliament, the emboldened members of his own party who don't want him there and keeping his polling figures up. I don't think he can do it.

#1481 Romeo Void

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:42 AM

But whoever took the job from Malcolm would face an uphill battle in the senate anyway.  Why would they bother?  Leave Malcolm in the firepit to be roasted over the next 3 odd years, then when he's worn out take the leadership then.

#1482 Romeo Void

Posted 11 July 2016 - 09:47 AM

I must ring mum and tell her Malcolm is it.  She's been asking me for days (English is her 3rd language) 'how many Chairs' does Malcolm today LOL!!

#1483 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:16 AM

Abbott was such a divisive, polarising figure - you only have to look at the election threads last time when it was Abbott v Rudd - they were very feisty - threads were shut down, members banned. This time has had the odd lukewarm exchange, but nothing like last time.

Not that I'm under any illusion that Turnbull is some warm cuddly secret progressive with a heart - I just think he's your bog ordinary laissez faire trickle down Tory. Abbott was something else again - more akin to a Bernadi (who scares the hell out of me).

#1484 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:17 AM

Scott. Morrison is who I'd place money on being a challenger

#1485 ali27

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:24 AM

but in terms of PR, how do you sell the change of leadership to voters?

I can imagine Turnbull being "leaned on" to say he has health issues or family issues or something and needs to give up being PM, but not a spill.

He is a dead man walking whatever way it plays out.

#1486 HRH Countrymel

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:27 AM

View PostLlama in Pyjamas, on 11 July 2016 - 10:17 AM, said:

Scott. Morrison is who I'd place money on being a challenger

Well Pauline Hanson thinks he's it and a bit.... so you may be right.  (obviously not as right as either of those two..)

#1487 ali27

Posted 11 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

Well ScoMo and Pauline definitely agree regarding the treatment of asylums seekers - sadly.

#1488 purplekitty

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:18 AM

It would be politically foolish to have a leadership change by the LNP but I'm not sure Abbott's supporters will be able to control themselves.
That are zealots.

They have the fire of righteousness burning in their hearts and Australia needs him to be saved.

They have to stop that handbasket we are all travelling in,on its way to hell.

#1489 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:27 AM

When Turnbull challenged Abbott one of the reasons he set out was that they had lost 39 newspolls in a row. That set the parameters for him retaining the leadership, in my view, and will be used against him in the future.

Not sure about Scott Morrison, though. Has the right wing of the party forgiven him for abandoning Abbott yet? He hasn't performed as well as Treasurer as a lot of people thought he would.

#1490 purplekitty

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:10 PM

Christopher Pyne mans(or is that poodles) the castle walls today and repels rebels and dissenters.

'Cowardly' coalition conservatives.

http://www.afr.com/n...20160710-gq2sgd

#1491 Lucrezia Bauble

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:16 PM

He's fixed it. He's a fixer. It's in the budget.

#1492 purplekitty

Posted 11 July 2016 - 12:27 PM

He has a fixation on fixing.

#1493 Datrys

Posted 11 July 2016 - 03:19 PM

I wonder if he knows that the other meaning of "fixed" is "dead."

#1494 Lunafreya

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:37 PM

Or castrated

#1495 ali27

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:46 PM

I think that's already happened.

#1496 Ruf~Feral~es

Posted 11 July 2016 - 04:48 PM

View PostAnge remplie, on 11 July 2016 - 03:19 PM, said:

I wonder if he knows that the other meaning of "fixed" is "dead."

So many people he could offer to fix for us.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.