Did they do it wrong?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Nasty Teens

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:26 PM

Me: Went to the polling booth, had my name narked off, given the papers and directed to the booths.
DH: at the same polling places but different person marking off name person, given papers and instructions on how to fill in forms so they are counted.
DS: different polling place but as for DH.

Should instructions about how to vote, not party etc, just instructions about how to do, be done at all booths? How do the differences work?

#2 Hands Up

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:29 PM

Not sure. But we were reminded of the 6/12 rule and the need to number all HoR boxes.

#3 Caribou

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:30 PM

I don't think so. The instructions are also on the ballot sheets they give you.

They have to ask have you voted anywhere else as a requirement, but I think the spiel about how to vote is encouraged, but not enforced?

#4 TND

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:41 PM

My person just said 'do you know how to vote'. I said yes and she gave me the papers.

#5 wombatgirl

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:42 PM

They should have asked you if you had voted already and then given you a spiel on how to place your vote.

#6 Mooples

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:43 PM

View PostTND, on 02 July 2016 - 07:41 PM, said:

My person just said 'do you know how to vote'. I said yes and she gave me the papers.

Same with us.

#7 Jingleflea

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:46 PM

I was asked if we'd voted before in this election and given the papers after our names were marked off. We were also told if we made a mistake to go back and get a new sheet.

#8 Nasty Teens

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:48 PM

My person just gave me the papers. Fortunately I already knew how to vote. How is there not a standard spiel Aus wide With the option of clarification?

#9 Owliegirl

Posted 02 July 2016 - 07:50 PM

I don't think I  was asked if I had already voted.

#10 Loore

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:09 PM

View PostJenflea, on 02 July 2016 - 07:46 PM, said:

I was asked if we'd voted before in this election and given the papers after our names were marked off. We were also told if we made a mistake to go back and get a new sheet.

That's what I was told as well, but the guy in front of me was told how to vote.  Seems a bit random.

#11 TobiasFLK

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:23 PM

My dad used to volunteer.

All depends on how busy they are he recons. He said there were really obvious waves of quiet vs crowded.

#12 Nasty Teens

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:27 PM

View Postit, on 02 July 2016 - 08:23 PM, said:

My dad used to volunteer.

All depends on how busy they are he recons. He said there were really obvious waves of quiet vs crowded.

But surely there should beck standard this is what you say, then answer questions?

#13 anna_garny

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:37 PM

The only thing they have to do is ask if you have already voted - I know that there are also supposed to be random spot checks but rarely are. The elections happen so infrequently that it's not like they have the same employees every time.

But I did get reminded to number every box on the green ticket and the 6/12 rule on the Senate paper.

#14 Mistletoe Kisses

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:39 PM

I had to do an absentee vote so was given a rather detailed run down compared to other people there. Strangely though I was told 6 above or 7 below...

#15 Nasty Teens

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:43 PM

Sorry, but I can't help but to think this is wrong. Elections may not be frequent, but how hard is it to have a reasonably standard "say this"? The officials are after all being paid

#16 wombatgirl

Posted 02 July 2016 - 08:52 PM

There is a a standard and it is in the training manuals. Workers should have been following a standard.  The Officer in Charge of the Booth should have also been making sure that this was happening

#17 nasty snaugh

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:23 PM

View PostMadnesscraves, on 02 July 2016 - 07:30 PM, said:

I don't think so. The instructions are also on the ballot sheets they give you.

They have to ask have you voted anywhere else as a requirement, but I think the spiel about how to vote is encouraged, but not enforced?

I did not get asked if I had voted elsewhere

I got no instructions

It also turns out that there were volunteers at my polling place who were not initialing the papers, according to a local FB discussion page. It seems it was only for the first hour or two, but I voted at about 08.30.

Nobody seems sure if this means a wasted vote or not. I went below the line, for more than 12 preferences. I value my vote, I want it to count.

I never even thought to check if a the initial was there.

Anybody know what will happen to my very well thought out vote, if it is  not initialed?

EFS

Edited by snaugh, 02 July 2016 - 09:24 PM.

#18 casime

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:25 PM

Mine was too busy getting flustered to say anything.  She was probably even barely old enough to vote I suspect.  Lucky I was able to tell her what to do as the supervisors had just left her alone and she was getting a bit freaked out.

#19 Expelliarmus

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:30 PM

I can't remember what he told me beyond 'have you voted before today?' and 'come back and see me if you make a mistake'.

He made a mistake though cos he gave me two Senate forms! He was quite relieved when I brought it back to him!

#20 Psiren

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:43 PM

I wasn't asked if I'd already voted but did get instructions on how to vote, despite me saying that I knew what I was doing.

#21 Abcde-La-A

Posted 02 July 2016 - 09:55 PM

I got both the "have you voted" and the verbal instructions. I didn't need the instructions but just nodded and smiled because the woman was a bit nervous, it was her first time working at an election, and I wanted to be encouraging. I also think it's better to let them explain, so that those people who DO need an explanation will get one.

#22 Kafkaesque

Posted 02 July 2016 - 10:11 PM

Yes they are supposed to tell you how to complete the ballot papers. And yes there is a standard spiel they are supposed to give. It's not supposed to be optional all staff are supposed to be trained to say the same thing.

#23 JustBeige

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:50 AM

View Postsnaugh, on 02 July 2016 - 09:23 PM, said:

I did not get asked if I had voted elsewhere

I got no instructions

It also turns out that there were volunteers at my polling place who were not initialing the papers, according to a local FB discussion page. It seems it was only for the first hour or two, but I voted at about 08.30.

Nobody seems sure if this means a wasted vote or not. I went below the line, for more than 12 preferences. I value my vote, I want it to count.

I never even thought to check if a the initial was there.

Anybody know what will happen to my very well thought out vote, if it is  not initialed?

EFS
Pretty sure it wont be counted.

The only thing I can think of is if the place that didnt initial picks it up in their sort and has the person who forgot to initial them under the scrutineers eyes / OICs watch - bot sure how legal that would be though.   Otherwise they should have been classed as informal. or will be classed as informal on Tuesday (when all the votes go to the sorting office)

Re the spiel.  We legally have to ask Name; Add; Have you voted.
We are 'supposed' to to explain how to vote, but as PP said, when you have queues of 1hr + its done as quickly as possible

#24 Bone Apple Tea

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:53 AM

Can someone please explain the initials on papers?

How does it make a vote invalid?

I wouldn't have a clue if mine were initialed or not.

I definitely wasn't told how to fill out the forms.  I was asked if I had voted before and then the lady who handed me the forms said she had no clue why she had to ask that, and then said they couldn't stop people voting twice anyway.  Guess she broke lots of rules.

Edited by canstayferal, 03 July 2016 - 09:57 AM.

#25 Lunafreya

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:54 AM

I got the question if I've voted but no instructions. She did complement my dress as I was dressed for the medieval fair we went to later and said it was a nice day for it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.