Another Election

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: If another election was called (154 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you change your vote?

1. Yes (9 votes [5.84%])

Percentage of vote: 5.84%

2. No (143 votes [92.86%])

Percentage of vote: 92.86%

3. Unsure (2 votes [1.30%])

Percentage of vote: 1.30%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 AxeTheMax

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:35 AM

After last nights non-result it has been suggested that we may have to go back to the polls, but I am curious to see if anyone would change their vote.

I wouldn't I am happy with who won my seat, the only thing is I think my senate paper wouldn't have been counted because I made a mistake, and just fixed it quickly as I was in a rush. Only realized yesterday after reading EB I should have gone and gotten another sheet.

#2 Lunafreya

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:40 AM

I dont think we'll be going back, and if we do it will probably be worse for Libs. I wouldn't change my vote though.

#3 JustBeige

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:41 AM

I wouldn't I am happy with who won my seat, the only thing is I think my senate paper wouldn't have been counted because I made a mistake, and just fixed it quickly as I was in a rush. Only realized yesterday after reading EB I should have gone and gotten another sheet.
They will accept changed sheets, so long as your intent is clear

If you cross out the numbers and re write them so you can clearly see your number choice then it is accepted.

When I was doing the training last week, I was surprised to see what they actually accept now.  Gone are the days that if you vote and then write F off on it it would automatically be discarded.  You can write it all over it, providing its clearly a vote it will be accepted.

#4 BadCat

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:44 AM

I wouldn't.  And judging by the result in my electorate it would make no difference at all if I did.  ALP member returned with an increased majority here.

#5 AxeTheMax

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:45 AM

That's good to know, I think it would be clear what my vote was.

I remember years ago when helping out, I was only there at the end of the night to help clean up. But any sheet that anything written on it that was not a vote was discarded!

#6 Coffeegirl

I wouldn't change my vote.

Honestly I had a real struggle voting for the Senate once I got past my first 2 picks.   Seriously there was no one I wanted to vote after that.  

Lots that I didn't want to vote for though.  

#7 MidgetHippo

I won't change.  We had had candidates, greens, alp, animal justice, rise up, family first, lib, Nat and an independent who couldn't get elected as liberal in 2010 and palmer in 2013.  It was hard to decide who to put in what order in positions 3-8.  

We are a marginal labor seat.  Liberal one the initial count last time but lost it on preferences.  This time around there was a swing against them and they were beaten in both.  Labor claimed our seat pretty early in the night.

#8 Bone Apple Tea

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:48 AM

I won't be changing my vote.

I don't think they will call another election.

However, my seat is quite close, so would be very interesting to see what happens if they do.  I would love it if my local Lib member got the boot.

#9 IkeaAddict

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:53 AM

Wouldn't make a difference here, strong Labor seat before the election (15% margin) which is even stronger now (22% margin). According to our local members facebook page we are now the strongest Labor seat in the country (though I haven't verified this and have no intention of).

Would my vote change? No

#10 MidgetHippo

Posted 03 July 2016 - 09:56 AM

I'm hoping if we do go to another election people in our old seat (barker) will see the difference a good vote can make and vote accordingly.  It is considered a very safe liberal seat (around 17%) but the member is largely unliked but people vote liberal anyway because what's the point.

On first preferences there has been a 10.5% swing away from him.  It's huge.  Sadly though he will still take it out on preferences.

#11 Hayleymumof3

Posted 03 July 2016 - 10:16 AM

View PostBadCat, on 03 July 2016 - 09:44 AM, said:

I wouldn't.  And judging by the result in my electorate it would make no difference at all if I did.  ALP member returned with an increased majority here.

How that happened when he is such a douche nozzle I have NFI.

#12 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:37 PM

I think it would be political suicide for the Liberals to go back to the polls. Might as well hand it over now.

Surely they arent that dumb?

#13 AxeTheMax

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:39 PM

It's the Liberals so who knows! Some of them still think they would have won if TA was still PM!

#14 Hayleymumof3

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:05 PM

View Post~Jodama_Feral~, on 03 July 2016 - 01:37 PM, said:

I think it would be political suicide for the Liberals to go back to the polls. Might as well hand it over now.

I was reading an article earlier and Sinadonis has hinted at it.

#15 Lees75

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:13 PM

If neither LNP or ALP can form a minority government, do they even have a choice?

#16 Lunafreya

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:23 PM

View PostLees75, on 03 July 2016 - 04:13 PM, said:

If neither LNP or ALP can form a minority government, do they even have a choice?
No, they don't. If they can't form a government the GG steps in and calls an election.

#17 IamtheMumma

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:24 PM

Not for HoR but Senate yes. I forgot the name of an Indi who sounded good. She'd have been #3 so I doubt it would have mattered.

#18 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:30 PM

View PostMasahiro Tanaka, on 03 July 2016 - 04:23 PM, said:

No, they don't. If they can't form a government the GG steps in and calls an election.

Its a huge risk for the Libs.

Maybe they are hoping the lets set the AFP on Labor line will win them some votes.

Edited by ~Jodama_Feral~, 03 July 2016 - 04:32 PM.

#19 Octopodes

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:45 PM

If neither side can form a minority government, there will be no choice but to hold another election. My understanding is it would be a lower house only vote though.

ALP would be returned with a majority if another election is held. The public historically blames the incumbent government when elections are held close together.

edit: my vote would remain the same.

Edited by r0cket, 03 July 2016 - 04:47 PM.

#20 la di dah

Posted 03 July 2016 - 04:47 PM

My primary vote would remain the same, I would slightly reshuffle my preference order and I might not exhaust as soon.

#21 Riotproof

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:08 PM

View Postla di dah, on 03 July 2016 - 04:47 PM, said:

My primary vote would remain the same, I would slightly reshuffle my preference order and I might not exhaust as soon.

But if it's only lower house, you number to the end anyway.

#22 seayork2002

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:10 PM

So we need another sausage?

#23 blue86

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:15 PM

Not my first second third or fourth, but I would put lnp eighth rather than fifth

#24 Rowenas necklace

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:16 PM

I might change my lower preference order ever so slightly, but my primary choices remain the same. I voted the day before surgery, which I was stressed out about, so I went the easier route and voted above the line. If it went back to the polls so I didn't have that hanging over my head, I'd likely vote btl instead.

#25 HolleyShiftwell

Posted 03 July 2016 - 05:35 PM

they might be that arrogant though!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.