Which station did the election best?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

Poll: Best election TV coverage? (30 member(s) have cast votes)

Which station do you think handled the election best?

1. ABC (16 votes [53.33%])

Percentage of vote: 53.33%

2. Channel Nine (8 votes [26.67%])

Percentage of vote: 26.67%

3. Channel Seven (2 votes [6.67%])

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

4. Sky News (1 votes [3.33%])

Percentage of vote: 3.33%

5. They were all bad (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

6. I don't know, I watched a movie instead (3 votes [10.00%])

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Lunafreya

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:01 PM

Interested in your thoughts on this.

I started watching with ABC but ScoMo rubbed me the wrong way so I switched it over to nine and found it suprisingly good. Loved he contribution from Oakes, Costello and Beasley. Particularly when Laurie Oakes called people out on their BS.

Vanstone and Albo got down right unpleasant at times though.

#2 purplekitty

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:05 PM

If the ABC did not have Antony Green I would have stopped watching it.
As it was I flicked between 9 and the ABC.

The panel members on 9 were far superior I thought(except for PW on the ABC).

Leigh Sales saying 'Suck on it ,Kerry O'Brien" at the end of the night about the ratings capped it off.

:Edited to clarify.

Edited by purplekitty, 03 July 2016 - 12:42 PM.

#3 MrsLexiK

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:05 PM

I watched 9. The afl was on 7 and I couldn't be bothered by sky as it normally does some interactive thing every time I switch. I did switch to abc a few times. Loved #tiegate

#4 marple

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:11 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 03 July 2016 - 12:05 PM, said:

If the ABC did not have Antony Green I would have stopped watching it.
As it was I flicked between 9 and the ABC.

The panel members on 9 were far superior I thought(except for PW).

Leigh Sales saying 'Suck on it ,Kerry O'Brien" at the end of the night about the ratings capped it off.

"PW" ?
I liked the 9 coverage,( could have done without Amanda and Maxine though tbh)  and the 7 was actually quite good too seeing as it seemed that the set was put together by an underfunded highschool drama group and they had 1 laptop to share.
Leigh Sales spent a lot of time with her arms crossed looking bored. Annabel can't really do any wrong with me but I switched to 7 or 9 when Slomo Scott was speaking so I'd call it a draw.

Edit - I forgot I cannot stand Ross Greenwood so that put me off too.

Edited by marple, 03 July 2016 - 12:13 PM.

#5 purplekitty

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:14 PM

Penny Wong,when she could manage to get a word in on The Scott Morrison Show featuring Scott Morrison.

#6 Lyra

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:24 PM

I was surprised that Penny Wong didn't leap across the desk and smack Scott Morrison out

#7 AxeTheMax

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:35 PM

EB was my go to last night! Kids watch a movie, once they where in bed I watched a movie (well it was on while I browsed EB, AEC and ABC websites)

#8 Soontobegran

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:41 PM

Not  7TWO. :no2:

#9 pili-pala

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:45 PM

ABC for Antony Green, his graphics, and his modelling, and his complete impartiality (did another channel have anyone who was impartial - noting that Laurie Oakes is not impartial)

Also they had Penny, and I liked that Annabel asked the MPs who won what their main challenges were, how they campaigned etc, I got to know a bit more about them.

I didn't realise 7 had Sam, but their graphics and departure board sucked so I only managed five minutes.

#10 Lesley225

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:46 PM

I stared watching the ABC when I got home from working on a booth as a official but couldn't stay awake past midnight so went to bed then but I taped all the stuff before and after and will catch up with it over the next few days.

I really miss not being able to see what is going on we were totally cut off in there counting votes.

#11 Lunafreya

Posted 03 July 2016 - 12:49 PM

Laurie Oakes might not be impartial but his long experience as a political journalist is an invaluable contribution. He also has the memory of an elephant.

#12 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:21 PM

Mostly stuck with the ABC on iview for Antony Green and Penny Wong. I thought Leigh Sales was a pretty poor host: snappy, clearly bored, rude to Penny Wong and allowed Scott Morrison to constantly talk over her. The "suck it, Kerry O'Brien" line really just showed how much better the ABC coverage used to be. I think Barrie Cassidy or Sarah Ferguson would be far, far better.

Couldn't bear to watch Latham, Jones and Lambie on Seven. Thought Laurie Oakes was good, as always, on Nine.

#13 F.E.B.E

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:26 PM

I liked Penny Wong, Antony Green and Annabel Crabb. The ABC coverage was quite disorganised and patchy though and they did dissolve in to giggles a lot.

I switched over to 9 a few times and thought Lisa Wilkinson looked tired and bored. You could not pay me to watch Latham and Alan Jones

#14 Coffeegirl

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:31 PM

We didn't watch any of it. (At the footy, then came home and watched a movie) Though did catch some replays that were montaged together this morning.

One bit included Peta Credlin at the desk (missed the channel) and she was blatantly texting someone as the other panelists were discussing a Labor result.   Found it really rude.   I'm sure she was being paid to be on the panel, so she should have been giving it her full attention.

#15 ~Jolly_F~

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:32 PM

I watched the ABC. Didnt even realise it was on other channels. Even if I did, I assume they still had ads and that would have crapped me off, so ABC for the win!!

Edited spelling, it was a late night or early morning :)

Edited by ~Jodama_Feral~, 03 July 2016 - 01:33 PM.

#16 purplekitty

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:34 PM

View PostCoffeegirl, on 03 July 2016 - 01:31 PM, said:

We didn't watch any of it. (At the footy, then came home and watched a movie) Though did catch some replays that were montaged together this morning.

One bit included Peta Credlin at the desk (missed the channel) and she was blatantly texting someone as the other panelists were discussing a Labor result.   Found it really rude.   I'm sure she was being paid to be on the panel, so she should have been giving it her full attention.
Most of the commentators on all channels were getting updates on their phones from party scrutineers and the numbers guys out in the booths etc.
Part of the job.

#17 Lunafreya

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:42 PM

Peta Credlin was on Sky News with Andrew Bolt, I believe. I believe Bolt had some sort of meltdown.

Channel 9 had people getting stuff off their phones, Sinodinos was texting Malcolm apparently.

As for the ads, they were a good chance to take a leak without missing anything or get yourself a cup of tea. :D

#18 Coffeegirl

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:49 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 03 July 2016 - 01:34 PM, said:

Most of the commentators on all channels were getting updates on their phones from party scrutineers and the numbers guys out in the booths etc.
Part of the job.

Fair enough.  As I said it was just a montage and I didn't notice it on other stations. But the look on her face in the clip was of utter boredom.     I also probably have a bit of biased as I deeply dislike that woman :p

#19 Seven of Nine

Posted 03 July 2016 - 01:58 PM

I thought channel Nine was quite good, and I'm not normally a channel Nine viewer. Laurie Oakes, Peter Costello, and Kim Beasley were definite highlights, but they didn't let the panelists talk enough IMO. There was a point when Beasley and Vanstone were talking about Hanson's win and the rise of more minor players and I would have loved to hear more from them both but 9 cut for an ad or over to social media or something.

Edited by Seven of Nine, 03 July 2016 - 01:58 PM.

#20 Tender Heart

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:09 PM

I watched ABC, but didn't hear Leigh Sales' comment.  I like her as a journalist, but that's not professional.

Penny Wong was great.  Yes, ScoMo was annoying, but it was entertaining to see him squirming and answering "but Labor" as a reason for everything going wrong.

#21 Hands Up

Posted 03 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

I switched from the ABC to nine but quickly switched back when they did some weird dance thing. I was surprised by how average Leigh Sales was.... Definitely off her game.

#22 laciem

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:40 PM

Leigh Sales didnt look like she was particularly enjoying herself but I still found ABC the most watchable.

Channel 7 looked like they were trying to win on the 'it's so bad it's good' basis but it was so bad it was impossible to watch.

I loved how grumpy Scott Morrison looked when anonymous texts from inside the far right of the Libs were being read out.

#23 71Cath

Posted 03 July 2016 - 03:52 PM

ABC had the God of elections, Antony green, so I watched them all night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.