Delusional MIL (fluff)

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 88k

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:28 AM

We had lunch with the in-laws today during Mr3's nap time and he had a very minor, very shortlived tantrum to which (my normally delightful and easy to love) MIL exclaimed "I never know what to do when he tantrums because my boys never had them".

Look lady, I've been married to your son for some time now, and he is a gem, I'll give you that, but I have seen him chuck a tanty or 2 - if he can do it at 35 he sure did it at 3.5.

What is the most out there/delusional thing your MIL has ever said?

#2 Fright bat

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:47 AM

POPULAR

After bringing me a birthday present and I politely objected and said she shouldn't have, she said "oh we couldn't possibly miss your birthday"...

Sounds innocent...

Background - she hated me as soon as she realised now DH and I were serious as she didn't want 'half caste grandchildren' and I was stealing her son. She refused to allow him to date me (not that she could) but he was still at home at the time so she used to stalk him and scream at him if he met up with me. She refused to acknowledge our engagement, and they didn't come to our wedding. They refused to acknowledge we were married and it wasn't until kids were on the cards that an attempt was made at reconciliation. And it wasn't until there were two grandkids she really liked that she decided to be civil, at which point she realised she actually liked me and became relatively nice. And so, 16 years after we met, she brought me a birthday present.

#3 ceeshell

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:48 AM

My mother in law, looking around at our lives-in home, after i mentioned in passing how hard I'm finding staying on top of the housework with three children, said:

'I don't know how I did it, but I just... did. My house was always tidy...'

I told DH and he said 'ah, she didn't work outside the home AT ALL until I was 9, she has one less child at home than us, and her sister lived with us for ages, so she had free child care. Not to mention, Nanna came over and did her ironing several times a week'

Oh. So that's how.

(Dont get me wrong, I'd still struggle to keep my house tidy with all of that. Mainly because I orioritise literally everything else above the housework)

#4 88k

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:54 AM

After 16 years Frightbat!? You are a saint! I wouldn't have given her the time of day after a single "half-caste" comment!

#5 88k

Posted 04 July 2016 - 12:56 AM

Ceeshell - They do have a tendency to gloss over the details!

#6 Fright bat

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:02 AM

View Post88k, on 04 July 2016 - 12:54 AM, said:

After 16 years Frightbat!? You are a saint! I wouldn't have given her the time of day after a single "half-caste" comment!

Ah well. See, proof that I do know how to keep my mouth shut at times.

Whatever her faults (many) she did raise the man I love and is (mostly) a good grandparent and so for the sake of everyone else in my family I put up with her.

ETA - and when she said it, DH snorted with laughter. The look she gave him... its easy to be nice when you have someone on your side.

Edited by Fright bat, 04 July 2016 - 01:03 AM.

#7 Mistletoe Kisses

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:08 AM

That because she had an abortion as a teen and doesn't regret it i shoud have one too and if i dont my partner should leave me coz I'll ruin his life if i have his child.

#8 88k

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:16 AM

Holy guacamole T&C I think you win this round! I hope you told her exactly where to deposit her sentiments?!

#9 Fright bat

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:28 AM

Yeah wow, T&C - there's not many who can normally compete with me, but you win!

#10 lynneyours

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:36 AM

my MIL - where to start with the bat-sh*t laa-laa comments....

* you can't vote Greens because they want to legalise paedophilia....  so stated by her pastor apparently.

* She had an abortion which she doesn't regret but hates herself for since she is far-right Christian.  So therefore all abortions for all women should be illegal for all circumstances.

* she told me that she hoped DH would beat me up one day so I realised he wasn't a good person. About her own son.  She was a victim of DV by DH's father until he died.

* When whinging that she didn't have nice things like overseas holidays and how poor me it was, I commented that generally people get jobs when they want luxuries:  oh but I can't work, it would interfere with my prayer time.....

* she lived in our house. When I rang to give her the heads up that we were going to be bankrupt within the month, had less than $15 in the bank and 2 kids under 3, she had no concern for her son, nor her grandchildren.  Just was worried about where she would live.  What would happen to her.  When I stated I didn't know, that I didn't have enough $ to buy a packet of nappies or a tin of formula, she couldn't have given a crap.  Never rang to see how we were for months after that.

the list goes on.  She's not a nice person, although somewhat easier to be around now she is on Lithium, which is a mental health drug.
Unfortunately for her, after 15 years of comments like the above every time I see or speak to her, I no longer have any time for her.  I refuse to do anything with/for her.  DH doesn't give a crap.

#11 88k

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:40 AM

The mind simply boggles Lynneyours!

#12 Lou-bags

Posted 04 July 2016 - 01:42 AM

These are so awful! I'm going to give my amazing MIL an extra big hug when I see her next.

So sorry you all have had to put up with these kinds of comments, truly awful :(

#13 mintyfresh

Posted 04 July 2016 - 02:33 AM

My MIL doesn't really know me. Which is cool. But it amuses me when she has said a few things because they demonstrate it loud and clear.

The best one was when I was pregnant with our first and she told me I shouldn't watch the girl with the dragon tattoo movie because of my delicate condition.

I was with her son for 11 years before i was pregnant, she didn't contact me during that time, except when we got married. She lives interstate, but still. The second I was pregnant, she wants a relationship with me. We have been together 17 years now, she only found out when my birthday was by accident this year.

She's a nice enough woman, but I find her fascinating and odd. And I'm glad we will never live super close to her. Currently OS but even in Aus we will be 2000km away.

#14 yellowtulips74

Posted 04 July 2016 - 03:19 AM

My ex-MIL is (I think) a pathological liar. Eg she announced proudly that all 3 of her children were walking before the age of 8 months.

FIL and everyone else always just roll their eyes and let it go. I find it insanely irritating that nobody challenges her.

#15 my*xmas*kiddies

Posted 04 July 2016 - 06:15 AM

When my MIL states our boys are her whole world but she never calls them or even sends a card for their birthdays :no:

#16 Hands Up

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:00 AM

View PostFright bat, on 04 July 2016 - 01:02 AM, said:

ETA - and when she said it, DH snorted with laughter. The look she gave him... its easy to be nice when you have someone on your side.

I reckon that's the crux of most in law vents...... The partner doesn't have the venter's back, and that would suck.

#17 Soontobegran

Posted 04 July 2016 - 08:55 AM

My MIL has nothing in common with me, she has said some truly ridiculous stuff which I have been vehemently opposed to for FORTY years but I have kept my mouth shut.

She is a loving mother to my husband and she raised a really good person under extreme conditions so for that I am grateful. She is also loving to me and the kids in her own special way.
Sometimes I have asked myself whether I really need to be right when it comes to what she says or whether I keep it to myself as criticism of her hurts my DH and walking away is what I have always done.

My lesson was to tell myself as a MIL to not do the same thing...I thank her for that lesson, I do not believe any of my children's partners will be able to have the same vent about me...this is something we all need to be mindful of.

#18 lozoodle

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:17 AM

Mine always tells us how it was so hard for her as she never had holidays and always had to work so hard (self employed, who's fault is that?) and it was so hard with the kids.

Meanwhile I think she forgets the fact that we've got 3 kids, she only had 2, and only ever had 1 at home at a time because by the time she had SIL her first was already in year 1. Also seems to forget the fact that both DP & I work full time, and his job is particularly demanding meaning he's usually out of the home for 14+ hours a day (leaving it basically all on me).

But yep, I've totally got no idea about what its like to work hard ha ha

#19 JustBeige

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:35 AM

whether I keep it to myself as criticism of her hurts my DH
Yes this is where I am too.

I'm lucky in that she really does care and has a modicum of self awareness.

I'm also lucky in that from the start, if she 'went off on a tangent' I would pull her up on it and DH and I agreed on very firm boundaries with them.

FIL is the one that we generally go :o  at.

#20 Feral Grey Mare

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:35 AM

I married an orphan.

#21 Chief Pancake Make

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:44 AM

This is my father.

My mother has 6 canvas pictures of all the grandchildren at about 6mo on the wall.  My sister has blond blue eyed children, mine are dark and half chinese.

"They all look the same , I can't tell the difference"

#22 Mistletoe Kisses

Posted 04 July 2016 - 09:55 AM

Not MIL but my own father once told me that because I hadn't vacuumed in 2 wks I had no idea how to clean and because of that my firstborn would die.

Edited to make the sentence make sense

Edited by Tea&Crumpets, 05 July 2016 - 09:11 PM.

#23 born.a.girl

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:05 AM

View PostTea&Crumpets, on 04 July 2016 - 01:08 AM, said:

That because she had an abortion as a teen and doesn't regret it i shoud have one too and if i dont my partner should leave me coz I'll ruin his life if i have his child.

Gawd.  I think that takes the cake.

With icing.

#24 Freddie'sMum

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:06 AM

Some of these are jaw dropping awful and horrible !!

My MIL pales in comparison but she was against it when we sent the girls to daycare, was against me going out to work (if I didn't selfishly work then the girls wouldn't have to go to daycare see?), doesn't speak to me - will ring on the phone and ask for the girls or DH by name, is still holding a grudge from 20 plus years ago when DH & I were young and in love and we moved away from their family.

#25 triangle

Posted 04 July 2016 - 10:17 AM

MIL told me she prayed and prayed and that is why her last child was a girl (she only had boys prior to that).

And that me, her son, and our children are all going ot burn in hell when the LORD comes back because we aren't spirit filled and won't get any salvation.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.