Do you let your child wear stained clothes to day care?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#1 MiaL

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:03 AM

Hi,
Yesterday my son was at day care and apparently he got wet and they needed to change his clothes. I put in 2 sets of clothes in his bag but got a call from the day care as they weren't going to put these clothes on him because they were stained. then when I picked him up I was sent to the centre director to collect his bag and to talk about it. I was so shocked and embarrassed that I didn't say anything. Then I had to go back and collect him from his room and the carer there made a point of telling me that he is now dressed in nice clean clothes (the day care spare clothes). The clothes I packed had been washed that morning and I literally got them straight from the dryer before popping them into his bag. I don't see the point of dressing him in nice clothes as his clothes get trashed at day care from all the crawling around, painting and playing. So I have daggy clothes for him to just wear at day care. The clothes I'd packed were stained at the knees from his crawling there and at the other day care he goes to, and the top had paint stains which he got from day care. I've washed these clothes a million times. I know I probably should treat them with a stain remover but I didn't see the point with day care clothes. I was left to feel humiliated and embarrassed after the incident yesterday. Am I the only parent that doesn't stain remove day care clothes?

#2 Pearson

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:13 AM

What the absolute hell? Unless they were fresh stains that hadn't been washed, they had no right to say anything to you about this. I bought new clothes for my dd that were low cost due to staining received at daycare (when she grew out), otherwise, good clithes got recycled to daycare when they got stained.

#3 gabbigirl

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:18 AM

Lol my kids when they were babies pretty much only wore stained clothes.

#4 MiaL

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:21 AM

Thanks. I do the same and buy cheap clothes and Bonds onesies for day care because they get thrashed and I end up throwing them out. I'd washed them and folded them in his bag and they smelt nice like clothes powder not a dirty smell. I felt like the worlds worst mum. This is my 3rd child and I've never had this problem at any other day care centres.

Edited by MiaL, 08 July 2016 - 06:22 AM.

#5 Pearson

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:31 AM

View PostMiaL, on 08 July 2016 - 06:21 AM, said:

Thanks. I do the same and buy cheap clothes and Bonds onesies for day care because they get thrashed and I end up throwing them out. I'd washed them and folded them in his bag and they smelt nice like clothes powder not a dirty smell. I felt like the worlds worst mum. This is my 3rd child and I've never had this problem at any other day care centres.

Don't let them make you feel bad. Childcare creates stains on clothes. I would have said something back. Eg excellent, so if I send DS in an antique christening outfit you are going to guarantee no stains? Or do you expect all the children in your care to be like china dolls? No eating, pooping, weeing or playing... and then followed with dont ever call me into here about something so trivial ever again, I am not a naughty schoolchild.

ETA sorry this gets my goat...

Edited by Pearson, 08 July 2016 - 06:32 AM.

#6 MiaL

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:36 AM

Ha I love it! Wish I'd thought to say that. Thanks Pearson

Edited by MiaL, 08 July 2016 - 06:37 AM.

#7 Scouter

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:36 AM

How ridiculous. The clothes are clean & appropriate for daycare you know...painting, playing outside. Most of my sons clothes have some sort of stain on them. Sounds like your daycare centre needs a dose of commonsense & reminder kids aren't on display.

#8 Mmmcheese

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:42 AM

Oh my, all my daughters clothes are stained! I don't use stain remover either. She's there to play and.get dirty so I send her in àppropriate clothing.

#9 Froggilicious

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:44 AM

Let? I insist! If it were up to DD she'd wear her flower girl dress. I'd be making some sort of official comment. That is not cool.

#10 27plus

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:45 AM

Wow.  Your childcare is ridiculous.  Our Centre encourages parents to send their children in old clothes, clothes they don't mind getting stained.

Our philosophy is if the child goes home with more paint stains etc on their clothes they had a good day!

#11 causeway

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:48 AM

WTAF? DD has been going to daycare for 4 years. If I had to chuck out paint stained, or otherwise stained clothes I'd not be able to afford to send my child! DDs daycare clothes are usually Best & Less and Target. I do jave a habit of binning items that have had to much 'fun'... They seriously need to have a reality check. BTW - what are the kids doing all day if they aten't supppsed to get dirty?

#12 BadCat

Posted 08 July 2016 - 06:55 AM

Your child care is rude and ridiculous.

I'd be seething if they treated me like that.

And yes, I would absolutely send kids in stained clothes.

#13 Iezze

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:15 AM

That is just nuts. All my 2 year old DD wears to daycare are the faded, stained, ugly and borderline too small clothes in her cupboard. She has so many clothes that are paint stained.

Ridiculous.

#14 Teds

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:19 AM

One day DH managed to send DD in the shirt she wore the previous day, with food still on it. By accident, he is usually really good. If daycare had shamed him for a simple mistake, they would have copped an earful from me! Of course their clothes get stained, in fact it's expected. They need a telling off for their rubbish attitude methinks. And I am being very restrained here so my post doesn't get taken down for 'language' because that's stupid of them. OP, I admire your restraint thus far!

#15 Sparklearkle

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:21 AM

Do these people actually work with children?!

Ridiculous! Daycare is not a fashion parade and they're just going to get dirty anyway.

#16 lozoodle

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:23 AM

What? Surely they are taking the p*ss!

My kid are ALWAYS in stained clothes at daycare. That's where they get messy as If I am sending their good stuff!

#17 babybug15

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:24 AM

Utterly ridiculous and very judgemental in the way they handled it. My child wares clothes with stains because of daycare- paint, dirt play, crawling outside, food etc.

I agree with asking if they will guarantee no stains on what you send in. Also ask why they are not offering opportunities for messy play, art, nature experiences etc.

#18 maryanneK

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:28 AM

Yeah, that's ridiculous. We also have the special stained day care clothes. I'd be really angry at being 'shamed' over that. Maybe they just had a quick glance and thought it was actually 'dirty' rather than stained? Either way, not ok to talk to you like that...

#19 laridae

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:29 AM

I pretty much always send mine in stained clothes (clean, but stained). Because it seems that the one day I'll send her in something nice is the day they decide to do painting without a smock, and yet another nice outfit joins the daycare pile.

#20 Bethlehem Babe

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:30 AM

That has to be one of the most ridiculous things I've heard.
My boys come home with stains on everything.
Once my eldest dressed himself and was so proud. He'd picked an old stained shirt with the print cracked and pealing and shorts which had furniture paint on them.
His carers just said "well don't you look ready for fun today"

#21 JustOneMorePlease

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:30 AM

That is so odd. My kids aren't in childcare but kinder always remind us to send them in old clothes. They will get covered in dirt, paint, sand etc... I'd ignore them!

#22 Taradiddle

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:33 AM

Yep, mine goes pretty exclusively in stained clothes.  If a tshirt got stained, it then becomes a daycare shirt.

Your centre sounds ridiculous.

#23 AKAmum

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:34 AM

That is ridiculous! I don't send mine in 'good clothes' otherwise they would have none.

I would send them an email asking them to clarify their comments and ask what policy this pertains to and why you were not made aware of this beforehand. I would also ask them to detail what was wrong with the clothes you sent.

#24 theboys2

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:35 AM

Lol I don't think my boys are ever in clothes that are stained - I think that was a myth that kids stayed clean!!

I'd probably have said something like oh well I'll have to send them naked cuz I have no I stained clothes!!

#25 toomuchmess

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:36 AM

View Post27plus, on 08 July 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

Wow.  Your childcare is ridiculous.  Our Centre encourages parents to send their children in old clothes, clothes they don't mind getting stained.

Our philosophy is if the child goes home with more paint stains etc on their clothes they had a good day!

My philosophy too, grubby clothes equals great day.
I dont dress them in anything that id be upset to lose one way or another. I dont soak and stain remove those, its a waste of time and effort.

I was on the committee at a previous daycare. We had a mother who would dress her kid completely inappropriately. White sailor girl outfit (not costume, outfit) complete with hat and white shoes. The most frufru tutus ever. Faux fur coats. Actual bling, better than mine. More white/light clothing then ive ever seen before. The list goes on. The mother would get ropeable if anything got ruined or lost. We were in rural nsw on the cusp of the outback for crying out loud. The dirt is red dust, the sandpit is red dust, the grass is red dust! Its not fair on the child or the staff to be put in that position. They cannot stop little sally from playing outside for fear of her ruining her clothes and they are not responsible for prescious  sallys lost $3k diamond earring!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.