Do you let your child wear stained clothes to day care?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#26 !momo!

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:39 AM

What on earth ? Are these people insane ? I also have preschool clothes that are inexpensive and gone through three kids. So not only is my 2 year old wearing stained clothes to preschool but some of the stains weren't even made by her! Oh the humanity! They would have a heart attack on the spot if they saw the state of some of them.  No way would I be sending her in anything I didn't expect to get messy.

#27 seayork2002

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:43 AM

More than likely i have but i cant say it crossed my mind either way enough to remember

#28 Hopefully helpful

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:44 AM

That is outrageous! You poor thing; I don't think many people would pack / treat day care clothes much differently to how you do.
I'd be worried that if they're that willing to humiliate an adult and give you a dressing down about clean but stained clothes like that, how they treat the children in private.

#29 daisy007

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:49 AM

That's ridiculous!! I would be thinking about moving your child, if they treat the parents that way I would be wondering how they treated your child too.

#30 AlmondButter

Posted 08 July 2016 - 07:52 AM

How ridiculous! DS wears clean but stained clothing to day care. Guess where the stains came from? Painting at day care! If they ever said anything I'd let them know that if they want him in unstained clothing then they had better pay for new outfits every time they send him home covered in paint!
Apart from financial considerations in constantly replacing clothing DS has had favourite t-shirts stained so would be upset if they were replaced anyway.

#31 -Carpe Diem-

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:04 AM

Wow !

I frequently sent ds in old stained clothes to daycare! I never heard anything about it and all the children appeared to be sent to daycare like this.

IM Currently in the process of going on daycare waiting lists for this baby and several of the handbooks I've been given say something along to the lines of "please do not send your child in expensive or designer clothing. They will get messy, it's all part of them enjoying their day".

#32 RynandStompy

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:05 AM

View PostHopefully helpful, on 08 July 2016 - 07:44 AM, said:

That is outrageous! You poor thing; I don't think many people would pack / treat day care clothes much differently to how you do.
I'd be worried that if they're that willing to humiliate an adult and give you a dressing down about clean but stained clothes like that, how they treat the children in private.

Yes that's what I am surprised and concerned at. A decently run daycare would not have an issue with spare clothes that were clean, but worn and stained. They should spend energy privately following up with parents who provide out of season too small spares. Or who don't provide spares. And that follow up should be tactful and private to make sure all is ok. Mgmt who lecture and reprimand parents as you describe are not ok.
I would be concerned at how your child is treated, other children and even how staff are. As Mgmt set the direction and tone of a centre. Lack of respect or condescending attitude speaks volumes.
If I was you I would be ropable too. Don't doubt yourself or your parenting. But spend some time checking other daycare options so that you know if this is something to suck up and ignore as a once off. Or if you have opportunity to transfer your child and give your revenue to another provider.

#33 JomoMum

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:07 AM

I would be bothered if my 2.5yo DS came home in clean clothes. I'd assume he'd done nothing outside, had no fun painting, playing in mud, drawing etc.  

As it is, we empty sand all over our bathroom floor most nights when taking DS's pants off. He often comes home with green fingers, red paint on his bottom where he sat in it, mud in his hair. He's not a complete grot but I know he's had a great day of exploring.

Their approach to play and learning would have me seriously questioning whether I wanted my child in their care.

Edited by FomoJnr, 08 July 2016 - 08:10 AM.

#34 IkeaAddict

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:13 AM

Thats insane. The dirtier  DS was when he got home from daycare the more fun he'd had. And I was happy. Same at school. His school uniforms have paint and texta marks on them no biggie. School doesn't care.

#35 Lou-bags

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:15 AM

Confession: sometimes the clothes I send DS in aren't even strictly speaking clean! Dry, weather appropriate and comfy is all I care about.

And if his daycare raised it as an issue, I'd be miffed. And then p*ssed!

How rudely and ridiculously they've behaved! You're not wrong OP, they are!

#36 Hands Up

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:28 AM

View PostMiaL, on 08 July 2016 - 06:36 AM, said:

Ha I love it! Wish I'd thought to say that. Thanks Pearson

Send them an email. Aholes.

My kid's clothes are always getting stained at daycare. No way am I going to get clothes continually ruined. He goes in the stained but clean stuff.

#37 Moo point

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:36 AM

I often send DS in the jumper he wore at home the day before. You know, the one that's already got a bit of muck on it...

And today he's wearing the same tshirt and long sleeved shirt as yesterday (that he also slept in), as he never took his (stained) jumper off at daycare yesterday, they stayed inside most of the day due to rain, too tired for a bath last night, and he slept in this morning. And no one cares.

Your daycare is way out of line, totally focused on the wrong thing, and concerning in their treatment of you. I'd say raise hell, but I'm a wuss and so would probably just change centres.

#38 Splodge83

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:38 AM

I only buy cheap clothes for daycare and good clothes that get stained get relegated to the daycare pile here. In our daycare welcome pack they actually say not to send in good clothes as they do a lot of messy play. That's terrible OP and I would be making a complaint.

#39 WigglyMama

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:49 AM

Cheap stained clothes here too! I only ever send him in tracksuit pants as well, I want DS to be comfy and free to run and roll and get all that energy out!

I forget to check his daycare bag regularly too and if he hasn't required a change of clothes in a while, chances are his spare pants may even be a size too small and are ankle freezers! Still no word from daycare about it though (although they are replaced as soon as I realise!)

That was just rude and unnecessary. I'm sorry they put you through that!

#40 Wonderstruck

Posted 08 July 2016 - 08:54 AM

View Post27plus, on 08 July 2016 - 06:45 AM, said:

Wow.  Your childcare is ridiculous.  Our Centre encourages parents to send their children in old clothes, clothes they don't mind getting stained.

Our philosophy is if the child goes home with more paint stains etc on their clothes they had a good day!

This - my mother owns a long day care, she regularly advises parents not to send children in pristine, expensive clothes as they'll just get dirty.

Day care/pre-school is the place where the kids should be free to explore with their senses and explore their environment. The do finger painting, colouring in, craft, water play, cooking experiences and play in sand amongst many other things.

Even eating can be messy for little ones - the number of times I've cleaned custard, yogurt or spag bol out of a child's hair...

As long as the clothes where clean and dry who cares!

Edited by McBubba2016, 08 July 2016 - 08:56 AM.

#41 BetteBoop

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:00 AM

The question should be

"Do you let you children wear clean clothes to daycare?"

#42 jayskette

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:00 AM

pretty sure OPs daycare for celebrity kids gives her fines for not wearing brandnew designer clothes either :/

#43 iWonder

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:03 AM

Their comments are utterly ridiculous!!
I'd definitely make an issue of this!! Depending on their response you could say that you've been thinking about conducting a survey on Facebook and hopefully you won't need to name the centre.
Please don't let them make you feel bad at all!!

#44 Inkogneatoh

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:04 AM

In my opinion, the absolutely only reason for not wearing stained clothes at daycare is if the stains look like biological hazards. Big brown patches on the knees, elbows, hips, chest - no problems. Brown patches on the seat of the pants - yeah, that's a little different.

#45 Soontobegran

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:23 AM

I hope it is a one person problem not an entire CC one because I have never heard such nonsense.
I have picked up grandchildren who have soiled their spare clothes too and they are in stained and well used spare clothes that are often too big, too small and always mismatched.
I would ask to see the manager and have it out with her/him...such a horrible thing to say to you. :(

eta......To answer the original  question....no, I didn't send my children to anywhere in stained clothes but this is my issue completely and do not judge others ( more sensible )
for not being so stupidly pedantic about having spotless children as it was such a chore.

#46 EmAyEm

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:33 AM

Madness! Our daycare insists on no nice clothes. Old and stained are the way to go. They are there to play in the sand and the dirt, to mess around with paint and textas and water, they never come home clean!!

#47 Suz01

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:37 AM

I used to have a hangup about clothes coming home from DC all stained.  My view is that they are meant to be that way now.    We have daycare clothes (those that I can handle being destroyed) and weekend clothes that I like to keep nice and do my best to get stains out of.

#48 Hollycoddle

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:40 AM

I'm with you, OP - in fact I hardly ever buy my kids good clothes anymore as they only very rarely get worn if we're going out somewhere.  Last year I even neglected to take note of when school photos day was so sent my DS in a t-shirt with paint stains on it lol.  My daycare didn't seem to have an issue with it.  

I'm pretty much over these institutions trying to be the parenting police, as if telling us what to feed our kids isn't enough (my son can't even have a cupcake once a week as a special treat in his lunchbox), now they tell us what they can wear (aside from common-sense safety regulations such as wearing closed-in shoes, sunsafe etc).

Edited by Mollycoddle, 08 July 2016 - 09:41 AM.

#49 Mamabear2010

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:43 AM

I would be fuming. What an awful way to be treated. My dd  is frequently in stained clothes and not just at childcare.

At our childcare reception area,  there is a framed shirt with paint splashes and other 'stains'. It says something like if your child's clothes look like this, it means they've been playing/having a great day (can't remember the exact words).

#50 IkeaAddict

Posted 08 July 2016 - 09:46 AM

View PostSplodge83, on 08 July 2016 - 08:38 AM, said:

I only buy cheap clothes for daycare and good clothes that get stained get relegated to the daycare pile here. In our daycare welcome pack they actually say not to send in good clothes as they do a lot of messy play. That's terrible OP and I would be making a complaint.

This was DS daycare and is the same as his OOSH vacation care. In the manual we got for both places when he started "Please send your children in clothes that are comfortable and that you don't mind getting mess and dirt on". The only thing they really said anything about, clothes related, was that if it is winter then have spare clothes for cold weather and vice versa.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.