Do you let your child wear stained clothes to day care?

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

#51 *Arcadia*

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:15 AM

DS wears his stained clothes that come home with more stains to daycare. No way would I send him in his "good" clothes.

#52 ~bluebird~

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:16 AM

I'd be talking to the centre about their philosophy and explain yours. You shouldn't feel like you need to spend endless hours in the laundry soaking and trying to get out stains. I'm the first to admit I'm not very good at getting out stains even when I try, so I don't usually bother, most things I do with the kids don't require perfect clothes.

I was at a kinder once and a boy was having a great time playing in the mud, then he looked at his clothes and said 'Mums is going to be so cross'. He stopped playing after that, I felt devastated for him.

#53 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:21 AM

That insane OP. I purposefully send my son in his old stained clothes because they just get more trashed anyway. Who has time to soak clothes? and a lot of stains don't soak out anyway.

I'd seriously consider a new child care centre. They're obviously nuts.

#54 ceeshell

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:25 AM

Insane!
I'd have a strongly worded chat.
My kids go to primary school with paint on their clothes

#55 A NEW HOPE

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:27 AM

People actually have "good clothes"?

My kids have 1 nice outfit for parties ect and the rest is for everyday wear. I have had people ask why I dress my toddler daughter in tracksuit pants basically everyday....She is a toddler and as long as she is warm and free to roam, I will leave the tassles and cute cardigans ect until she is older. She has stains on most clothes as she like being messy. I must be an awful mother.

#56 Newdisplayname

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:29 AM

I would be looking for a new daycare.

#57 hills mum bec

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:30 AM

Wow, I would not be happy with that.  DD always wears stained clothes to day care because they get absolutely trashed while she is there.  Our day care treats stains on clothes as proof the kids are having fun.  They even have a display set of stained clothes in the foyer that points out where the stains come from and how much fun the kids had making the stains.

#58 HappyTapper

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:31 AM

We have daycare clothes (from target) and non daycare clothes (from other places!).

The daycare clothes are covered in paint stains and I couldn't care less.

I would be so cross OP.

#59 Ho Ho No

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:33 AM

Uh. I sent him *exclusively* in stained clothes.. because daycare clothes get ruined! Because carers have better things to do than make sure little Junior's precious garments never make contact with soiling materials. Well, apparently! :laugh:

Seriously, wtf. Send him wearing one of these next time.

Posted Image

#60 No Drama Please

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:38 AM

Look for a different centre. If they freak out over kids having a few marks on their clothes how are they going to handle the multitude of other bizarre and messy things that happen with daycare age kids?

Tell them you are shocked that they would bother you at work over something so completely trivial and after discussing it with a multitude of other parents you now have grave concerns about their daycares ability to cope with small children.

As you have now received several recommendations for other daycares "with more professional experience caring for children" you will no longer require their services.

Turn it back on them. Make them doubt themselves.

#61 miss mia

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:44 AM

Good grief! The cc sounds awful.

I sent my DD this morning in a jumper that has stains on it. It was a perfectly nice, new jumper that she covered in paint last week. It is now permanently a childcare jumper until next season when she gets a new range of cheap clothing to destroy.

Same with any shirt, pants or skirts that she has.

#62 Mose

Posted 08 July 2016 - 10:48 AM

I treated daycare as the use for clothes which are too stained to be worn elsewhere, but still in good wearable condition.  Inevitably they came home with a few more stains as well.  I made some half-hearted attempts to get stains out with Vanish spray, but didn't fuss if they didn't come out.

Your centre is being ridiculous, and in honesty if that was there attitude towards clothes I would be worried about their attitude toward children.

Give me a happy child in stained clothes any day over one who spends anytime at all worrying about keeping their play clothes clean.

This thread is making me think of Maria making play clothes out of curtains in the Sound of Music!

#63 gracie1978

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:06 AM

Your daycare is insane
Mine tell me off if he wears nice non stained clothing
One day DP dropped him off in a white t shirt and I think they covered him in green paint on purpose....

#64 No Drama Please

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:13 AM

Actually I remember when DS came home wearing his sisters spare clothes, so head to toe pink, as they just found her bag first and "they're only there to play so it doesn't matter anyway" lol

#65 LittleMissPink

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:18 AM

Gobsmacked! Childcare is where kids get dirty and clothing gets stained in the first place. What precious childcare workers to insist he wear unstained clothing.

Yes, I sent my kids to childcare in stained, but not dirty, clothing.

I would be taking it further with the director, you shold never have been spoken to like that. They should have at the very least ASKED if the clothes in his bag were washed, but just stained.

#66 Wolf87

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:25 AM

You poor thing :( that would really hurt me. I think unless there were no other options I would be changing daycare. I'm new to daycare but was just thinking about it the other day as I hung washed but still stained clothes out on the line. I decided no reason not to! :ninja:

#67 Lady Sybil Vimes

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:34 AM

Blimey. The cheek of them! Are they running a day care or a toddler finishing school? Perhaps let them know that you provide clothes that are suitable for his comfort and activities levels and that, since he is a normal human child and not Little Lord Fauntelroy, you'd appreciate it if they could use his own spare clothes when needed.

#68 But seriously

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:37 AM

Madness. All kids have stained clothes for years on end as far as I can tell.

#69 Freddie'sMum

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:39 AM

The whole point of daycare / preschool is that the kids run around and GET DIRTY.  The grubbier the child, the more fun they have had.

OP - your childcare sounds nuts.  I would be sending an email to the Manager / Boss and telling them that you don't appreciate being spoken to like a naughty child and furthermore you supplied CLEAN clothes for your child.  

Then I personally would add in a few choice swear words about how completely ducked up their thinking is about small children should be in "non stained clothes" and ending with a "and the horse you rode in on".

Unducking believable.

#70 IkeaAddict

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:46 AM

The few times that DS came home from childcare clean pretty much coincided with times that he was sick or about to be sick. I love that he had messy play there with sand and dirt and paint and the like. It meant that he didn't do those things at home and my house would remain relatively clean haha. He is now 6 and at school and I still have never had paint in my house. The closest we had to paint was paint-with-water, those books where the page changes colour with water LOL

#71 But seriously

Posted 08 July 2016 - 11:47 AM

And I ended up buying a lot of dark blue and black - hides the stains!

#72 seayork2002

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:40 PM

As I said before I can't remember child care clothes but is now the time to mention I once had to pull a school shirt out of the basket for DS to wear as I forgot to wash???

#73 wallofdodo

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:44 PM

As others, ours sent a reminder not to pack good clothes as they get damaged.

#74 marple

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:54 PM

View Postseayork2002, on 08 July 2016 - 12:40 PM, said:

As I said before I can't remember child care clothes but is now the time to mention I once had to pull a school shirt out of the basket for DS to wear as I forgot to wash???

Done this many times. Clothes go flying like something out of a cartoon as I throw them out of the laundry desperately trying to find the one item of clothing that is essential for that particular day.
It is usually a soccer sock.

#75 EsmeLennox

Posted 08 July 2016 - 12:55 PM

That is up there with the most ridiculous things I have ever heard. Gosh...what on earth did you say back to them, because far out, what I would have said would not have been pretty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.