How did your hair grow back after cancer?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 MummyHILI

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:59 PM

Hi,

As per my earlier posts, I'm 30 and was recently diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer.

I have had two rounds of chemo so far, I lost all my hair after the first round.

I'm just interested to know what your hair was like before and after chemo. Prior to chemo I had thinish, lightly waved blonde hair.

Also how long did it take from your last session of chemo to get to about chin length?

I previously had very long hair but prior to chemo commencing chopped it to chin length and really liked it :-)

I know that this is many more important things I have to worry about but I'm just interested to hear other people's experiences.

#2 Babyno4

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:07 PM

Not me but my mum had slightly wavy hair before. After the first lot it grew back really really curly. But it didn't grow long it just grew out. She hated it.
Second lot it grew back as per the first time but a bit more wiry of that makes sense? She much prefers this hair than the previous hair.

I would say it took about 6 months before it was a reasonable length again. For the top of the heads hair to catch up to the bottom if you know what I mean?

All the best for you xoxo

Sorry posted before I finished.

Edited by Babyno4, 09 July 2016 - 06:09 PM.

#3 MummyHILI

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:09 PM

Babyno4, I have heard lots of people say it often grows back curly!
Did it change colour?

#4 Babyno4

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:10 PM

Not that I can recall, it was dark brown and grey.

#5 MooGuru

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:12 PM

My DS had only just begun growing hair when he lost it all due to chemo. When it grew back it was affectionately known as "the Homer" - a couple of stands sticking out the top of his head :lol:
One of the kids we chatted to went in with thin blonde hair and it came back thick and like a light browny auburn.

#6 JRA

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:13 PM

Mine came back curly, I have VERY straight her so it was weird having curly, but it didn't stay curly for that long. It also came back darker, and 13 years later is still darker than it was.  

As far as how quickly,  i have photos 6 mths later and have hair that length

#7 baking101

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:17 PM

DH's hair grew back baby soft and curly after his chemo but within a few years it was pretty much the same as it was prior. Grows like a jolly weed.

#8 IkeaAddict

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:24 PM

Lady I work with had triple negative cancer, had all necessary treatments and is now "clear". She had dark straight hair which really suited her, before she was diagnosed and treated etc. Hair when it grew back was light mousey brown and curly, like ringlet curly. She now bleaches it blonde and it really suits her as well. I am guessing she has that lucky colouring etc that suits all colours. Looking at photos of her before diagnosis it's almost like a different person.

Wishing you all the best OP xx

#9 toomuchmess

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:26 PM

Ive lost mine 3 times due to chemo. First and second time it came back exactly the same as before. After being nice and fluffy it turned my regular Thick, coarse and wavy and my regular dark blonde.
This time it has come back thick and wavy, not so coarse and more ash dark blonde which i dont mind. It has been about 8 months since i stopped needing to wear a cap. Ive been trimming the neck waiting for the top to catch up. It naturally parts on my left side, that side the too length is almost perfect, the other side the top layers are still above my ear. It will probably be another 5 months for that to catch the bottom layers. After that i can start to grow it all longer.

It always feels like the top takes forever!

#10 MummyHILI

Posted 09 July 2016 - 06:28 PM

View PostIkeaAddict, on 09 July 2016 - 06:24 PM, said:

Lady I work with had triple negative cancer, had all necessary treatments and is now "clear". She had dark straight hair which really suited her, before she was diagnosed and treated etc. Hair when it grew back was light mousey brown and curly, like ringlet curly. She now bleaches it blonde and it really suits her as well. I am guessing she has that lucky colouring etc that suits all colours. Looking at photos of her before diagnosis it's almost like a different person.

Wishing you all the best OP xx

Thank you.
I am very fair, so I fear darker hair may not suit me, never mind that's what hair dye is for :-)

Thanks for all your responses, very interesting :-)

#11 Tinkerbell74

Posted 10 July 2016 - 12:26 PM

Also had chemo for triple negative BC. My hair before was very straight. After my last chemo which was 16+ish months ago it started growing very very curly which I hated. Only now the curls are starting to drop so I believe it will go back to what it was. (well I hope) ... Good Luck

#12 Hattie

Posted 10 July 2016 - 01:17 PM

I had been dyeing my hair for years before I started chemo, so had no idea what I'd end up with when it came back!

It came back a mixture of very grey and white, with lots of curls especially around the nape - I have never had curly hair so it was very weird! Apparently the curls are due to damage to the hair follicles and once this damage is corrected the hair goes back to normal for most people.

It changed after a couple of months to being straight. The colour also morphed and is now a mixture of brown with a bit if grey flecked through. I had some issues with it being very thin but it has thickened up in the past year (I am now 3.5 years post my last chemo).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.