Bill Shorten concedes Labor defeat.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Hayleymumof3

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:04 PM

Damn it

Labor leader Bill Shorten says he has called Malcolm Turnbull and conceded electoral defeat, as the Coalition edges towards a slim majority in federal parliament.

Eight days after the polls closed, the ABC's election computer says the Coalition has won 74 seats and Labor 66, with five still undecided.

Mr Shorten said although counting was still underway, it was clear the Prime Minister would form either a minority or majority government.

"I have spoken to Mr Turnbull and congratulated him," Mr Shorten told a press conference in Melbourne.

Mr Shorten said Labor was willing to work to find "common ground" with the Government, saying Australians deserved "nothing less".

http://www.abc.net.a...-defeat/7584400

#2 Cimbom

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:15 PM

What's so good about Bill Shorten or the Labor Party? There's virtually nothing separating the two major parties these days :shrug:

#3 IamtheMumma

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:29 PM

All hope is lost. I'm actually scared of what the future might hold.

I'm disappointed the greens didn't get a better turnout. EB is an idealistic oasis.

#4 ali27

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:35 PM

Hopefully their slim majority will hold some of their excesses in check, but another term of Libs is pretty disappointing.

Hope they don't gut medicare any further or find some money for education and give up off shore processing.

Doubt that the right wing loonies will have any moments of introspection though.

Feeling quite depressed actually.

#5 Lunafreya

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:43 PM

Yay democracy [/sarcasm]

Well, I hope this result has at least put the LNP on notice given the amount of seats they have lost. I doubt it will have any affect thiugh. Maybe the Libs will splinter.

#6 IkeaAddict

Posted 10 July 2016 - 02:55 PM

I am glad that Shorten have what seemed to be a good speech from the transcript I read. I am also glad that he bought up that vote counting shouldn't take so long and that we need to become all digital so results would be available as they happen, not this archaic manual counting. I am guessing that MT won't be giving a "victory speech" until it is established exactly how many seats they have and whether or not its a majority or minority government

#7 ali27

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:04 PM

Unfortunately, you're probably correct

#8 Hayleymumof3

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:06 PM

View PostCimbom, on 10 July 2016 - 02:15 PM, said:

What's so good about Bill Shorten or the Labor Party? There's virtually nothing separating the two major parties these days :shrug:

Nothing but it's better than the scummy ****ers that form the LNP.

Edited by Hayleymumof3, 10 July 2016 - 03:51 PM.

#9 NunSoFeral

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:41 PM

Sidenote - note that the big L's/right wingers seem to be getting media interest of late

Abetz fair put me off my croissants this morning and innuendo about Bernardi and his splitter group are all over the place. Although the latter made me laff. And vomit. Mostly vomit.

Knew Mal was despised within the party - but they are really throwing weight and $ behind dissent now.

Interesting few months coming up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.