VBAC induction foley catheter 38wks?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 sunny.jay

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:38 AM

Hi,

Looking for your experiences / stories. I am hoping for a Vbac (in a fairly supportive public hospital) with my second baby due in 4 weeks time.

A little bit of background. DS1 is 3. At 40+8 I went to the hosp for post dates monitoring and was induced immediately because his heart rate kept dipping. After 20 hours of highly monitored labour I got to 8cms and asked for an epidural. 10mins later his heart rate crashed dangerously low and wasn't recovering after contractions so the labour ended in an emergency c-section. He was born perfectly healthy @4.1kg.

I am now 34wks with my second. I was diagnosed with GD at 26wks this time around. I am only really struggling with fasting levels and have recently started on 8 units of the slow acting insulin before bed. Because of the GD, my fundal measurements being consistently 2-3wks ahead and the size of my last baby I have had 2 health and well being scans in the last few months to check on the babies size. The first scan showed baby at the 85th percentile. I haven't been back to the hospital for the second scan results as yet. At my last visit the OB mentioned they wont let me try a Vbac if her size has increased to the 90th percentile. They also said due to her size & my GD they would induce at 38wks. They will only use the balloon catheter to induce and if it works they will pop my waters and see how things go. The do not administer induction drugs due to the risk of scar rupture.

Just wanting to hear your stories of VBac with balloon catheter at 38wks (or before 40wks). I was so overdue last time I am wondering if my body will be ready to kick into labour at 38wks using the balloon catheter.

Thanks for your help.

#2 foxy_feline

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:36 PM

I didn't have a vbac, but I was induced at 37+6 with my first (also due to bubs heart rate dipping too low).

I had a stretch and sweep about 5pm (as my cervix was favourable), followed by the foley catheter insertion about 9pm. By the time I got to the birth suite at 7.30am the following morning, I was already having irregular contractions and 4cm dilated, so the doctor just ruptured the membranes about 7.50am and left me to the midwife for an hour. She took me up and down a few flights of stairs for about 20 minutes to try and get things to progress without needing hormonal induction. It worked... better than anyone (including the midwife) could have predicted.

Bub was born at 9.30am, no hormone drips necessary.

Hopefully it works for you!

#3 podg

Posted 17 July 2016 - 02:41 PM

I had a Caesar with my first baby and have had two foley inductions with gestational diabetes, followed with synto infusion and successful VBAC, one with epidural and vacuum, the other not assisted. I also had one spontaneous delivery.

#4 sunny.jay

Posted 17 July 2016 - 09:59 PM

Wow, awesome story foxy_feline! Will keep the stairs trick in mind, sounds like it worked a treat. Thanks for sharing such a positive story.

#5 sunny.jay

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:01 PM

Thanks podg, great to hear stories like this. Gives me a little more hope. 4 very different births! I keep thinking this birth will be a repeat of the last one but need to remember every birth is different.

#6 foxy_feline

Posted 17 July 2016 - 10:31 PM

That is what I hear (I've only had one). My midwife was very good, and she told me that walking up and down stairs helps the baby's head to descend, which helps labour to either kick-start, or progress. It was hard work though! And a looooong, slow, approximately eleventy thousand contractions later walk back to the birthing suite for my desperately wanted shower (I now understand why there are rails all around the maternity ward and birth unit though). Would love to have the same midwife when we go back for #2!

Your mileage may vary, I would definitely take your midwife's advice on whether the stairs might work for you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.