Morning sickness!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 MissBelle

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:44 PM

Please tell me this morning sickness thing gets better!!!!!

I'm 7weeks with #1. I started feeling really nauseous about a week ago, and each day it's gotten progressively worse. I feel terrible because it's at its worse at dinner time, so I haven't been able to cook because the smell (actually even just the thought) of cooking food sets me off. Luckily dh has been very supportive (and is a good cook!)

For the first couple of days, gingersnap biscuits helped ease mild nausea, but now nothing seems to be working.

Is anyone else suffering? Any go-to remedies?

Edited by MissBelle, 14 July 2016 - 09:45 PM.

#2 Seven of Nine

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:56 PM

I don't belong here, I hope you don't mind me posting.

You poor thing. Morning sickness is the pits. Mine was the same, worst at dinner and getting worse at 7 weeks.

For most women it gets better around 12 weeks.

Get yourself up to your GP and talk through some options. Ginger really only works for mild nausea. You could try taking B6 and restavit (but it will make you drowsy), both are over the counter but it's best to talk to your GP first. Reflux medication helps some people, and those acupressure sea sickness bands at the chemist help with mild nausea. The number one thing that makes a difference to me is getting enough sleep.

Your GP might be able to talk you through some prescription options too.

Good luck. Eat your healthiest meal at breakfast and get your partner to eat something that doesn't smell for dinner.

#3 Bidi

Posted 14 July 2016 - 09:58 PM

With all of my healthy pregnancies I was sick from week 6 to about week 12.  With no.3 I was really sick until week 16.  She made me so nauseous I wanted to go to bed and wake up after it was all over.  I always felt better is I stayed hydrated but I couldn't drink water - had to be water with juice in it ect.  I tried to include carbs in most meals and lived off plain food.  Dry crackers are good too.  I was always worst from 3 pm onwards.  8 pm seemed to be the peak for me.  

This time around (no.4) I have started feeling sick on and off during the day but it has started to escalate from about 5 pm.  If I eat anything greasy I feel like crap and want to vomit.  I will be 6 weeks tomorrow and hoping it doesn't get as bad and last as long.  Mind you it gives me comfort too as before my previous losses I wasn't sick at all.  It makes me feel securer that this pregnancy will stick.  

Hope you feel better.  Also as it is number 1 and you don't have other kids to run around after try and nap ss much as you can as 1. you don't feel sick asleep and 2. Sickness is always elevated when tired.

#4 Megustas

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:21 AM

I felt nausea constantly with number 2, from moment I woke up till moment I went to sleep. I vomited anywhere from 0-5 times a day. This lasted from 5-13 weeks. It was debilitating.

The only thing that really helped was the meds my ob gave me - Zoloft. It is an anti nausea developed for cancer patients on chemo. Its expensive but so worth it ($40ish for 20 doses from memory). I only took it when it was really bad or I needed to get through work day.

#5 Wonderstruck

Posted 15 July 2016 - 07:07 AM

MissBelle. I'm in Feb DIG but I feel your pain. I'm 7w5d. It hit me at 5 weeks. Most days I feel awful all day and count down hours till home time at work.

I ensure DH makes me toast in bed, I have snacks at work and force myself to eat. I tend to find rice cakes, plain or salt and vinegar chips, biscuits and dry cereals help. I tend to eat plain lunch and dinner meat mash veg etc.

When I get home DH has to cook and do everything - he's been great.

I also take an elevit morning sickness tablet its vitamin b6 and ginger which you can take twice a day and it takes the edge off.

I have good days and bad days. My OB said it should start to decline from 9 weeks or so which I hope so.

I've stopped worrying but healthy eating and just nibble what helps.

If it gets worse see your doctor things like maxalon are safe in pregnancy and zofran is what PP is refering to (Zoloft is an antidepressant).

Good luck. Hopefully it will be better soon. I keep telling myself that as all day nausea sucks.

#6 Megustas

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:23 AM

Whoops sorry, Zofran! Thats what happens when you post at 6am after being awake half night with sick bub!

#7 Purple Polka Dots

Posted 15 July 2016 - 12:16 PM

I don't belong in this group either - but I feel your pain! I'm 32 weeks now, and have had HG through the whole pregnancy. It is tiring.

There are the usual suggestions:
Dry crackers before you get out of bed
Ginger biscuits/tea
Resting

I have found, that even though you probably don't feel like eating - try. The nausea is worse on an empty stomach. I've been told to aim for 1/3 full stomach. I'm not sure how you judge that exactly... but eat something.

Stick to plain foods - nothing too spicy. I've found food with too much flavour doesn't want to stay down.

Maybe try some avocado on toast to add some good fats and oils. Or peanut butter on toast/crackers.

If it does not ease and you need medication, do some research/talk to your GP/OB about the following options:
- B6
- maxalon
- restavit tablet at night
- zofran (they might try this option last, as zofran is on a private script and is quite expensive)

If you are struggling to stay hydrated, sip on Powerade. It's better than water for replacing your electrolytes. I'd also suggest the hydralyte icey-poles, I find them easier to keep down than liquid.

I hope it passes quickly for you.

#8 MissBelle

Posted 15 July 2016 - 06:59 PM

You ladies are wonderful, thanks for the quick replies!

Today I tried eating more often, especially throughout the afternoon and I found it really helped. This has been the first evening that I've felt OK!

I feel thankful that this is #1, I don't know how some of you handle it while looking after little ones! There are moments where if I'm not over the toilet bowl, I'm on the lounge 1/2 asleep haha.

Bring on the 2nd trimester!

#9 HeartMyBoys

Posted 04 August 2016 - 08:11 AM

Hi.  I'm around 7 weeks also with my 4th and having nausea much worse than with any of my others. I dry reach if I cough too hard. And just like you, I'm struggling to cook because of the smell. Especially 2 nights ago when I cooked hot dogs. I had to call my partner in to finish it and I was outta there!
A woman walked past me at the shopping centre and her perfume almost made me throw up.
I find that carbs ease it for me. If I eat anything healthy I feel worse.

#10 Nutty nut

Posted 04 August 2016 - 10:52 AM

Number 3 for me and it's kicking my behind. Luckily DP often cooks anyway, but half the time the only thing I can face is tinned spaghetti

#11 berkotobe

Posted 04 August 2016 - 11:31 AM

Tinned spaghetti! I might try that.

I'm glad I found this group today.

I've been feeling progressively worse and had first real bout of sickness this morning. I've been really anxious about this stage of pregnancy, in fact it prevented us from trying for another sooner. It totally wiped me out with number one and seems to go on forever.....optimistic aren't I?

My tops tips are more to do with coping rather than feeling better:

- tell your boss confidentially even if its loads earlier than you planned to. At least they know why you are suddenly being a slacker. If you have holiday saved up and can take it, then do. Much better to feel like crap on your own couch than at work
- say no to all social invites, there is a mineflied of smells out there - they'll understand once you say you are pregant and you can make up for it later
- at work and in the car/on public transport carry a sick bag on you all the time, removes that panic from will I/won't I make it

#12 Birdie88

Posted 04 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

As most of the ladies above have said, eating regularly definitely helps. My antenatal vitamins have about 5 B vitamins in them and apparently this helps?

Also a walk in the morning seemed to help me, something about distributing the hormones or something?

Good luck! Exciting!

#13 Sunnygirl20

Posted 04 August 2016 - 01:58 PM

Hi!
you poor thing... Mine started at 5 weeks and im currently 26 weeks in with it still however after getting my gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago it has settled down a lot (I was throwing up easily 10 times a day, whatever was in my stomach at the time) anyways I lived off zooper dooper icy blocks, gatoraide at times but just try and keep something in your tummy I found as hard as it was it helped and don't overdo it.. try and also drink water. I'm allergic to maxolon so that was out for me but the Zofran was a heaven sent and as bad as this sounds macdonalds lemonade helped a lot.

ETA - I found all prenatal vitamins made me worse and stopped taking them on doctors advice around week 10.

Edited by Apennyformythought, 04 August 2016 - 02:00 PM.

#14 Perth_mumma

Posted 19 August 2016 - 08:46 PM

Ah im on the couch feeling yuk but hungry but can't think of what to have for dinner as nothing tickles my fancy. Its so crazy how it comes and goes and can just hit you like a ton of bricks out of no where. Hmm I'm off to peruse the fridge...

#15 Offspring

Posted 25 August 2016 - 03:11 PM

Hi,

Has anyone elses morning sickness gone?

I am now in week 10 and my sickness has stopped. Every now and then I feel a bit nauseous and was dry reaching the other day..

Is it normal to stop yet?

Thanks

#16 Perth_mumma

Posted 27 August 2016 - 06:57 PM

Im 11 weeks tomorrow and mine has almost gone but that said it still hits me every now and then (and stronger than ever but shorter). From 6-9 weeks I felt sick a lot of the time but definately changed a bit around ten weeks. I was dry reaching today in Target lol I didn't know where to turn it just hit me!

Edited by Perth_mumma, 27 August 2016 - 06:58 PM.

#17 laciem

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:18 PM

13 weeks and still spewing every morning :(

It isn't fun but it is usually just the one spew a few minutes after i wake up and then I'm fine for the rest of the day. Earlier the nausea was lasting some of the day and reappearing in the evenings so it is an improvement.

#18 hungryhippo

Posted 29 August 2016 - 12:42 AM

I'm 11 weeks today and wake most mornings feeling a little off, but that usually subsides after breakfast. Some days though, I still vomit. Today I brought up my breakfast about an hour later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.