family day care at play group

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 CheekyChia

Posted 22 July 2016 - 03:59 PM

Ok so we have a few play groups in my area and they have been over run with family day care kids there are 3 day care mums that go to pretty much all the play groups in our area and take up spaces they take up to 5 kids each.

Myself and some other parents feel this isn't fair we all know parents who now can't get into a play group because they are all full up and the day care mums are taking up all the spots. Now for me play group is not just for ds it helped me make friends after I had a baby, I was lonely, with pnd and connecting with other parents really helped me big time.

So tell me should these day care mums be able to take all these spots?
I kinda feel like they can get together at each others houses where they play equipment etc and make their own play group. I just think that play group should be for parents.

Wdyt?

#2 Riotproof

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:07 PM

I assume they are paying for their spots, so really I don't see a problem.

If there's that much demand, why don't you start your own?

#3 LUV-MY-KIDS

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:13 PM

I don't see an issue either.  For many day care mums it's probably the only time they get out with the kids as well.  

If there is a lack of spots then hopefully they will have more groups so all that want to participate can.

#4 PeninsulaGirl

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:17 PM

In regards to the important supportive role play groups play for young mums, I can see your point if their attendance means mums can't attend as the group is full. Who organises the groups? Is it the local MCHN? If so maybe you could speak to them and suggest the idea of setting up a play group specifically for family day carers?

#5 Lunafreya

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:32 PM

I think it's a bit unfair. We waited for a year to get a spot in the one DS is in, three mums with fifteen kids takes up a lot of places. Possibly none left for others.

#6 Rowenas candy cane

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:42 PM

If they're taking up nearly all the spots, why can't they organise their own catch ups? That does seem pretty annoying, OP. Maybe get there earlier with a bunch of friends and their kids one week?

#7 ~river song~

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:47 PM

Never heard of playgroup having a limit on kids...

#8 CallMeFeral

Posted 22 July 2016 - 10:56 PM

Is this 5 spots out of like... 10? Or five spots out of 30? Or 15 spots out of 30 (if they say all come to one)?

I think that would impact my answer...

#9 Lunafreya

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:00 PM

View Post~ river song ~, on 22 July 2016 - 10:47 PM, said:

One intake DS to does, and has a waiting list.

#10 Jingleflea

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:30 AM

Our local playgroup is in a tiny building with a tiny fenced yard.
You're limited due to space.

#11 caitiri

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:31 AM

View Post~ river song ~, on 22 July 2016 - 10:47 PM, said:

Alot  of playgroups have limits, due to space, insurance ect.

#12 Luci

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:25 PM

I don't agree that Playgroup should just be for parents.  IMO children who attend Family Daycare are just as entitled to go to playgroup as any other child.    

As mentioned by a PP, it would be difficult for Family Daycare Providers to take the kids they look after out to places - a lot of things would not be suitable for a group of 5 kids of different ages, even just a trip to a park might be too hard to supervise. So a playgroup that was in a confined space and catered to different ages might be one of the few suitable things.

I might have gotten my wires crossed but OP did you say that some Family Daycare groups are attending Playgroup more than once a week?  If yes, I don't think that is OK.  If Playgroups are booked out and some families are missing out I would support a rule whereby each family (and each Family Daycare) can only attend once a week.  Not sure how you would police it though.

Luci

#13 got my tinsel on

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:40 PM

I don't think it's right that Family Day Care are going to play group.

I wonder whose benefit the attendance at play group is for?

If it's for the children, aren't they already getting playgroup-like time within the family day care home?  Are their not toys for them to play with at the family day care home?

If it's for the family day care carer, then sorry, you don't get to charge for a business and then spend some of that that time attending activities for your own wellbeing.

It sounds a bit lazy to me.

I wonder whether the family day care providers are aware that their children are spending so much time away from the home and with so many other people (adults and children).

Edited by fancie shmancie, 23 July 2016 - 06:01 PM.

#14 ~LemonMyrtle~

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:51 PM

The play group I take DS to is very different to what I would imagine a family day care would be like. It's a large room, they have 3 craft activities, and a big outdoor play area. There is story time and song time too. It's almost like kindergarten. Where as I've seen family day care set ups where it's a small house with 5 or so kids and a small backyard and they may not get regular activities.

I think it would be wonderful for local family day care providers to take their kids there, and I would applaud their efforts of getting all the kids there and back safely. it would be fun and enriching for the kids who might otherwise be stuck in the same house every day. I would limit to once per week per child though.

It's annoying OP that other mums can't get in because of a waiting list, but i see playgroup as equally about enrichment for the kids as it is a social outlet for the mums. So I don't think you an ban the kids just because they're at family day care. That wouldn't be fair.

#15 blimkybill

Posted 23 July 2016 - 05:55 PM

Family day care scheme supervisors are usually very supportive of carers going to playgroup. In fact schemes i have known organise their own playgroups just for family day carers. There are benefits all round for kids and carers.

However if families are actually missing out on accessing playgroup due to carers attending multople sessions, then I would have a word about it to whoever organises the playgroups.

#16 Heather11

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:11 PM

If it's for the children, aren't they already getting playgroup-like time within the family day care home?  Are their not toys for them to play with at the family day care home?

Don't parents have toys for their own children?  Isn't that just the same.

Family daycares aren't set up like day care facilities or even playgroups.

If I had my child at a family daycare facility I would actually be happy if they went to playgroup during their time there.

In fact I am pretty sure the Playgroup registration form asked if you were in fact a family daycarer.  From this I assume it was actually encouraged.

ETA:  Just checked the PlaygroupSA website and yes you can become a Family Daycare member which entitles the FDCer to attend with up to 4 children.

Also from my experience of attending 4 different playgroups some have a drop in numbers at certain times and so having a family day care group come in can actually keep it viable.

I know I stopped going to one because there were only three of us attending, all with children at different ages. It just wasn't beneficial at the age my child was at.

Edited by Heather11, 23 July 2016 - 06:24 PM.

#17 timtam92

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:16 PM

first in best dressed!

I went to a playgroup once with my son and it was the most awkward two hours of my life!  never again!

#18 CheekyChia

Posted 23 July 2016 - 06:22 PM

Just to clarify these 3day care mums are going to 4 separate play groups that are in my local area I have no problem if they went to one or two a week but all four sessions is just to much and other kids and parents are missing out so its not really fair one play group has a Tuesday and Thursday session and to separate groups hold the others on Monday and Friday.
There are now waiting lists for all these groups most sessions of these sessions allow twenty to thirty kids.

Edited by CheekyChia, 23 July 2016 - 06:24 PM.

#19 got my tinsel on

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:03 PM

Not being awful, but would someone tell me what happens at family day care, if there aren't organised activities (some sort of program) and free playtime?

From some of the answers here it sounds like little more than babysitting.

#20 ~Kestrel~

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:36 PM

View Postfancie shmancie, on 23 July 2016 - 07:03 PM, said:

Not being awful, but would someone tell me what happens at family day care, if there aren't organised activities (some sort of program) and free playtime?

From some of the answers here it sounds like little more than babysitting.
DS attended FDC for three years, from under 2, until he started school.

They had excursions twice a week (or more) to library storytime and playgroup etc. They had outside play time, dress ups, puzzles, fine motor skill activities like bead threading, pencil and paper school readiness activities, craft, and so on. Pretty much the same as you would find in a preschool program, just without the larger group experience. Playgroup and library storytime provided that larger group experience.

#21 Bearynice

Posted 23 July 2016 - 07:55 PM

Sounds like there are lots of kids attending playgroup.

That is a great thing.

But if there are families missing out or particular play groups are popular then perhaps the local schools etc should look at starting more play groups in the area

#22 Nobodyelse

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:02 PM

FDC is different to LDC in that it is in a domestic setting. They don't have large yards with rotating play equipment. Heading out to a playgroup twice a week isn't an excessive luxury. It sounds less like they are taking over playgroups in your area and more that there is a shortage of group activities for children in your area. Starting a playgroup isn't that complicated and it seems like you have a few contacts to have a good starting number of kids.

#23 CheekyChia

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:12 PM

The point is that they are not heading out twice a week they are going to four different session at three different play groups as I said if they went twice a week there would be no problem but they are going to all four sessions taking up 15 spots per session its alot.

#24 caitiri

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:12 PM

Twice a week is not excessive but 4 days a week is. Playgroups are not just for kids they are a valuable resource and support for parents too.  Starting a new playgroup can be difficult for a number of reasons

Sometimes there is not an available space and many of the spaces playgroups use are also used for other community groups.
Starting without the backing of an already establish organisation ie a neighbor hood house or church can be very difficult financially.
You need to have someone willing to spend a good deal of time on potential issues that can arise as a start up
The list goes on

#25 2813665

Posted 23 July 2016 - 08:17 PM

The FDC I used in Sydney (Leichardt & Canterbury) were run by the local council who also had their own playgroups for the carers to attend at the FDC main centre.
Caroline

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.