Dating/viability scan

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Cate4BJ

Posted 24 July 2016 - 03:25 PM

Hi everyone!
Congratulations to all on their BFPs ☺
I was after some advice... I have PCOS and needed clomid in the past to help me ovulate. My 1st pregnancy in early 2014 ended up being a blighted ovum. We had a dating scan at what should have been 7 weeks, but was just a gestational sac. It was pretty clear, because of the clomid I knew exactly when I ovulated, so knew it should have been further along.

My 2nd pregnancy, I elected not to have a dating scan, as again I knew when I ovulated from the clomid, and saw a perfect baby at my 10 week appointment. Ended up being a beautiful baby girl who is now 18 months old ☺

So, we were about to start trying again (not using clomid yet), and my last period started 20th May. My June period didn't come, after having 35 day cycles all year...and I was getting early pregnancy symptoms. But kept getting negative pregnancy tests...
Eventually got my BFP on 12th July - felt so relieved!
But I had a scan on Friday. Couldn't see much, and on blood tests my hcg hadn't quite doubled in 3 days. My obstetrician told me to expect a miscarriage, but would do another couple of blood tests and a repeat scan next Thursday, where we would 'discuss options'.
So, I feel like they are going to tell me there is no hope and to have a d and c, but would like to know what you ladies think?
Should I go against that and give it more time so things are more sure? I also have a retroverted uterus, which makes early ultrasound less reliable... I feel like my Drs are going to push me towards ending / giving up hope - wondering if I am being silly for continuing to hope?

#2 lissyrose

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:35 PM

I also got my BFP on the 12th July, surely it's too early to see much on an ultrasound yet anyway? I don't have a scan for another 2 weeks.

I wouldn't give up hope yet, see how your scan is on Thursday and if you still can't see much I'd ask for another scan the following week.

Hoping it's all ok on Thursday though

#3 Polka dot

Posted 24 July 2016 - 05:04 PM

I got my bfp on 28th June and had my scan a few days ago. And that was as early as the dr wanted to do it.

I guess it is completely up to you, if it some stage you are told it's not viable then you have the option of waiting for things to happen naturally and that way you know you have given it extra time just in case if you are worried about that. It depends on what you are comfortable with.

I really hope it turns out well though, have my fingers crossed for you.

#4 MissBelle

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:19 PM

I would wait, and don't lose hope just yet.
My sister had very low levels in her 1st pregnancy, got conflicting opinions on weather or not she was even pregnant, was booked in for a curette because they believed she was miscarrying, only to be told at the last minute (while she had fasted and ready for prep) that she was in fact pregnant.
Fast forward 8 years she has a very healthy and happy 8 year old son.
Wait a little longer! Best of luck

#5 Cate4BJ

Posted 24 July 2016 - 08:06 PM

Thanks so much everyone!
I will see what my hcg has done tomorrow, and if it is still rising then I think I will give it more time, even if they think it isn't rising fast enough.
I'd rather wait a few more weeks and be sure than have any doubt. I think the doctor's attitude where she was already talking about it being a miscarriage rocked me a bit. But until I see that it hasn't progressed, or I get cramping or bleeding, I don't think I can give up on it.
Thanks for the support.

#6 Jellybean5

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:31 PM

I got a bfp 9th July, had 1 scan due to pains to rule out ectopic, dr said it was right spot but looked empty he was giving me 2 weeks before another scan. My pains must have been stretching pains or something like that. Thankfully they have eased up
Wishing you more luck with your next scan too , if you can't see anything next scan but still feel confident your pregnant just ask for a scan another week or 2 later.

#7 Cate4BJ

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:21 PM

Hi, just wanted to update. Had 2nd scan today - there is now a gestational sac and yolk sac, and hcg has risen appropriately!
My Dr was pretty surprised, and said that she would have to eat her words from last week!
I will have another scan in 10 days to check for growth and viability. But it's looking much better than it was ☺
Progesterone was a little low, so have a script to start some pessaries. Fingers crossed..
Thanks for the support.

#8 suline

Posted 28 July 2016 - 09:29 PM

Wonderful news!

#9 Jellybean5

Posted 28 July 2016 - 10:47 PM

That's great news

#10 EJ79

Posted 29 July 2016 - 09:17 AM

Fantastic news Cate!! x

#11 JB5

Posted 29 July 2016 - 06:49 PM

Fantastic news!

#12 Cate4BJ

Posted 29 July 2016 - 07:37 PM

Thanks everyone! I'm feeling much more relieved and hopeful ☺

#13 tac87

Posted 30 July 2016 - 11:06 AM

Hi cate4JB just wondering how far along you are and what your HcG levels were at? During the week i got mine checked at 5w4d and HcG was 694 so waited 48hrs and they had risen but only to 989. Im repeating bloods again on Monday (6w4d) to see what's going on. Hoping for a straight answers!!! Would be great to hear others levels for either a positive boost or to know its probably going to m/c. Thanks

#14 Cate4BJ

Posted 31 July 2016 - 08:34 PM

Hi Tac87. I have irregular periods from PCOS, so my last period was 20th May, but now thinking I may not have ovulated until around 27th June... which is why I was having dating scans.
My hcg last Friday was around 1600, then 3300 on Monday. I think I'm about 6 weeks, 6 days but not sure.

Are they going to send you for a scan to see what's happening in there? Your hcg is still rising, so that's something!
Good luck, I really hope things work out for you xo
By the way, my hcg seems to be taking closer to 3 days to double, so maybe yours is like that too?

#15 Cate4BJ

Posted 09 August 2016 - 06:44 AM

I'm out I'm afraid I had another scan yesterday but things haven't really progressed since the last one - yolk sac is still there, but no embryo. There's also some cystic looking tissue elsewhere in the uterus that they are concerned might be a part molar pregnancy. So I'm in to have a d and c this afternoon.

Good luck to everyone and I hope things go smoothly and you all get to welcome your little babies next March xo

#16 Bidi

Posted 09 August 2016 - 12:55 PM

Cate4BJ I am so sorry to hear that.  I hope you can recover quickly from the D&C and start to heal.  Sending big hugs.

#17 JB5

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:19 PM

View PostCate4BJ, on 09 August 2016 - 06:44 AM, said:

I'm out I'm afraid ������ I had another scan yesterday but things haven't really progressed since the last one - yolk sac is still there, but no embryo. There's also some cystic looking tissue elsewhere in the uterus that they are concerned might be a part molar pregnancy. So I'm in to have a d and c this afternoon.

Good luck to everyone and I hope things go smoothly and you all get to welcome your little babies next March xo

So sorry to hear Cate4BJ it's a devastating time.  If it is molar and you need a sounding board I've just had a complete molar.. There is also a really great molar support group on Facebook.  

Fingers crossed it isn't anything complicated. Sending good vibes your way.

#18 Jellybean5

Posted 09 August 2016 - 09:41 PM

Sorry to hear your scan didn't go well Cate4BJ

#19 Cate4BJ

Posted 10 August 2016 - 10:41 AM

Thank you Bidi and Jellybean. Thanks JB5, hopefully it doesn't end up being a molar, but thank you for the support, that's good to know xo

Wishing you all happy journeys for your pregnancies xo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.