Moving year 7 into secondary school

• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#76 A NEW HOPE

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:55 PM

View Postbikingbubs, on 10 June 2018 - 06:50 PM, said:

If you are zoned then they have to accept you

There is not enough spaces for the number of students.

#77 Expelliarmus

Posted 10 June 2018 - 06:56 PM

View PostA NEW HOPE, on 10 June 2018 - 06:48 PM, said:

mark Oliphant
And you are zoned to a different primary school? In that case his Year 8 enrolment will come home saying a place has been reserved for him at MOC. If he's 11 then he'll be in Year 7 next year? So the Year 8 enrolment will come home in May of Year 7.

#78 A NEW HOPE

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:01 PM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 10 June 2018 - 06:56 PM, said:

And you are zoned to a different primary school? In that case his Year 8 enrolment will come home saying a place has been reserved for him at MOC. If he's 11 then he'll be in Year 7 next year? So the Year 8 enrolment will come home in May of Year 7.

we have been told he is on the waiting list and priority goes to existing students.

we got into a primary school 10 kms away.

His sister has got in. she is 10

Edited by A NEW HOPE, 10 June 2018 - 07:03 PM.

#79 Expelliarmus

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:04 PM

First I've heard of a DfE school having a waiting list for zoned students.

#80 Soontobegran

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:07 PM

View PostVeritas Vinum Arte, on 11 August 2016 - 08:08 PM, said:

Year 7 always been first year of highschool for both NSW and VIC since at least the 1980s

Since the 60s at least. My first year of high school was year 7 :)

#81 Soontobegran

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:12 PM

View Postpurplekitty, on 14 August 2016 - 05:19 PM, said:

My brother and sister did Yr. 7 and 8 in primary school in Vic. before it changed.
Uni High started at Form 3 when I started high School in Yr. 7(Form One).

Are they older ?
My brother is 65 and did prep to grade 6 in primary school then 7-12 ( form 1-6 ) in high school as did I. All in Vic, state schools.

#82 A NEW HOPE

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:12 PM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 10 June 2018 - 07:04 PM, said:

First I've heard of a DfE school having a waiting list for zoned students.

give a phone call. huge waiting listsa

#83 Expelliarmus

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:26 PM

The letters for Secondary places come from Head Office and are defaulted to the zoned school of the student according to the listed residential address.

I would anticipate that his Secondary school letter will come with an offer to MOC if that is your Secondary zone. They are handled differently to other year level intakes.

The good news is that if he's offered Playford International instead it's only 8.5km from MOC so closer than primary school. :shrug:

#84 Heather11

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:40 PM

View PostA NEW HOPE, on 10 June 2018 - 04:32 PM, said:

Libs scrapped it

This article states that the Liberals are committed to the proposed new schools.
http://www.abc.net.a...schools/9099570

#85 Lees75

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:38 PM

View PostExpelliarmus, on 10 June 2018 - 05:30 PM, said:

I suspect they will spruik Botanic High as a problem solver ...
I wonder if they will open it up to Yr 7 right from the start?  

I don't think they have had the number enrolling that they expected for yr 8 and 9. The initial cut-off date was a while ago, but they are still advertising with a new cut-off date.

Many families at our primary school have been campaigning hard, as half or our primary school zone is for the new Botanic School and the other half of our primary zone is for Roma Mitchell.

#86 Expelliarmus

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:48 PM

I was speaking to a teacher from Botanic High last night. I don’t know about numbers or cut offs but she said they were starting next year with Years 8 and 9 and they had 500 students starting in Term 1 2019. She said another thing about a school tour, that most of the students were from the zone but there are some special interest applications, and how they are currently working out of the Zoo but that’s all I really know!

#87 Kiraffe

Posted 10 June 2018 - 08:54 PM

I heard they are only taking 20 out of zone enrolments at Botanic.
In regards to previous reply, There is a DfE primary school in the east that does not guarantee spots for children in their zone as they have too many enrolments.

#88 Lees75

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:05 PM

Adelaide High doesn't guarantee spots for children in their zone if they don't start in Yr 8. I have a friend whose DS is in Yr 9 and wanted to transfer to Adelaide High at the start of this year because they have a better cricket program than Black Friors. He got accepted in to the cricket program, but the school doesn't have a spot for him.

Edited by Lees75, 10 June 2018 - 09:10 PM.

#89 purplekitty

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:14 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 10 June 2018 - 07:12 PM, said:

Are they older ?
My brother is 65 and did prep to grade 6 in primary school then 7-12 ( form 1-6 ) in high school as did I. All in Vic, state schools.
I'm the baby by a fair bit.

#90 Expelliarmus

Posted 10 June 2018 - 09:14 PM

There are varying levels of zone enforcement in various primary schools across the eastern suburbs. My class is the only primary class in our site with any spots. The other 4, and one of the Early Years classrooms are closed.

The enrolment of Year 8 is a completely different ball game however. My experience has been that High Schools would not speak to me outside official special entry processes and I was directed to the official process in May of Year 7 as all waiting lists were closed. And Year 8 is the only point at which anything is guaranteed.

#91 hills mum bec

Posted 14 June 2018 - 10:08 AM

http://www.abc.net.a...-school/7309620

This is an article regarding Mark Oliphant capping enrolments.  It says that year 8 intakes would be restricted to students who already attend the primary school and students within the zone.  ANH, if you are only one street away I don't think you will have a problem getting in.  Just wait for your high school application paperwork in May of year 7.  Like Expelli said, it will tell you what your zoned school is and that your child will automatically have a place at this school reserved for them and then give you options to apply for out of zone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.