The birth of Lucas Riccardo (a year on)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Divine 37

Posted 11 August 2016 - 11:14 PM

Only took me a year but I finally wrote my birthstory πŸ˜…

Lucas' birth story

My 4th pregnancy was very different, this one I experienced so much movement much more than ever before, it was just such a beautiful experience and such a bonding time.

I also had 9 months of nausea, which was very different to my previous pregnancy and shocking hip/sciatica pain. By 32 weeks I was waddling it was the most pregnant I have uncomfortable felt before lol

Well this time was yet a very different story for me, I was uncomfortable lots of cramping and back pain from 35 weeks which made me nervous as my daughter was premature.

This pregnancy was the biggest I have felt and the most uncomfortable, I was dealing with some shocking hip pain sciatica and had trouble with walking alot of the time.

It was also the most active baby I have had inutero, lots of movements quite a lot of the time. Every night I would lie in bed just waiting for the movements to begin(especially after ice cream he he)

I really wanted to go into labour on my own like I did with my last pregnancy, I am also high risk with kidney issues and Bp problems

Luckily for me all was good, I was quite nervous that things would go wrong and I would be induced early as my first two were born before 40 weeks.

Baby was breech until 35 weeks which I was a little nervous about, but all turned out fine
I did lots of spinning babies excercises for a few weeks to help it along and one night I felt the biggest movements ever.
Things changed a lot at 38 weeks, when my my Ob wanted to do a s&s and it was already 3cm but still thick and long. From then until delivery I pretty much had constant cramping and back pain every single day, it was the first time I had really ever dealt with pre labour. They were so many nights I thought for sure it would happen but nope !
Ob booked me in for induction at 40+1 weeks,really wasn't thrilled about it but I didn't want to worry about  it till that time as I really wanted to go on my own. I was 3-4cm and thinned out by then so it was decided it would be by ARM.

Baby was engaged at around 38 weeks an boy could I feel it lol. Tbh I was so sure I would deliver at 39 weeks, i was wrong ha ha

I managed to finally finish packing my bag at 39 weeks !
Anyway, my 40 week appointment came I honestly thought I would ask to wait another week. It just never came out of my mouth, I think partly because I was sick of the pain and just exhausted.

I was very fortunate my Bp was pretty good right throughout the pregnancy too.
I was monitored as I was cramping quite badly, but nope they weren't contractions.

I managed to get my 2 year old into preschool the day of the induction, which I figured was another sign to go ahead with it.

Even that night, I still wasn't sure I was doing the right thing. I just felt so confused by it all.
But deep down I knew it was the right decision, I had to call the hospital at 7am snd I thought if they were too busy then that was a sign to wait.

Nope they said shower and eat and come on in eek
Well that was it, this was happening. I got up and showered got the kids organised for school and preschool and we arrived at delivery suite at 9.20 or so

Well, they were very busy. A whole heap of women had come in and we had to wait, my Ob was working in delivery suite that day and she was ready for me but no room.

So, off we go to the waiting room. Lots of sitting happening, we took some breaks for morning tea and lunch while we were still waiting. We started chatting to some grandparents whose daughter was in labour, it was just so lovely to see how excited they were.

Anyway, come 1pm, yes almost 4 hours later and still no room I sent dh home.  It didn't look like it was going to be anytime soon which I was quite bummed as I wasn't sure who could watch the kids if it happened in the night as everyone was busy !

Anyways, 3pm I finally got called dh got the kids from school and preschool. My sister was going to try and come over in between her two jobs but there wasn't much point.

But after lots of messages back and forth her and my mum were talking about dh bringing my mum there after she got home from work to watch them.

Anyway, they break my waters at this point and I get put it on the monitor all looks good. I did ask if I could go walking to bring it on as I was still cramping constantly.
The OB said with how long we have been waiting she would prefer not to, which bummeded me out again. But we were here to stay at that point.

I discussed with the midwife my birth plan of no drugs, skin to skin right away, delayed cord clamping, breast feeding ASAP, natural placenta delivery and she was fine with all that.

They started pitocin about 30 mins later, I was able to sit up in the chair and could get up when I wanted but my bum was sore I preferred to lied down.

Contraction started around 4, but just here and there, while all this was going on I was also messaging& ringing dh as well as my sister to organise everything

By 5pm I was in active labour and my body was doing it on my own. I was a bit nervous with my 2 year old as he is quite clingy, but he did quite well and went to sleep by the time dh got back.

I was breathing through contractions , watching some tv which really helped distract me. I had some affirmations saved on my phone to help me focus that I had saved and they really helped.

At 6, they checked me and I was fully thinned out now a 5cm.

These contractions were both in my back, hips and front not like my last labour at all, eventually it was getting hard to keep monitoring bub so we had the electrode thing on the head to keep reach of him.

Things were getting really tough, and I knew dh was picking my mum up at 6.30pm so I was focusing on that. By the time he brought her over and got to the hospital he didn't arrive till 7.30pm.

I was crying in pain by then, thinking about maybe some gas, i really tried to focus on each contraction and reminded myself that I could do this and I am strong.

I remember being on the phone to dh crying in pain, reminding him how much this hurt. The midwife basked quite a few times whether I wanted pain relief but I kept saying no.

I had to be on my side for the rest if the labour snd had a bit if oxygen as bub's was having a little trouble with me on my back.
This was definitely a much tougher labour than my last. Dh arrives and I am just so happy that he is there, so are the midwives lol as they were asking quite often when he would arrive.

I was asking him if he thought I should have some gas again, he kept saying it was up to me st that point I was begging to be checked again but she kept putting it off lol

She did mention that gas wouldn't affect the baby if I wanted it, I was feeling a little pressure but not much it really just felt like I wanted to pass gas and they kept asking where my pain was to seeing i was ready to push.

Then all of a sudden my legs started shaking, I knew I was in transition and got all excited hen and we began pushing.

My goodness it hurt more with pushing too, and I had the burning which I didn't have with the others. It felt like I was pushing forever, dh with my one leg,midwife with the other.

She began prepping the room prior to me being sure it was pushing time, so she must of sensed I was close.

I had to push both his head and body out, which surprised me as usually mine have slipped out right after the head. The pushing lasted about 10 mins
Dh was in awe as he saw the head come out, and the rest of him.

Yep, it was a boy ! We thought it was another girl as dh was told in an u/s that it was a girl. I never found out, now looking back there was some clues as we never aw obvious parts and he constantly had his legs over his head lol

Also especially the last cpl months, I felt really unsure in the specific the baby even going through baby clothes I just wasn't sure anymore and 2 days before I had a dream I had a baby boy . I even told dh about it.

Anyway, dh was in tears and was so surprised and all I could say was how beautiful he was.

He was lying on my chest while were in awe of him & waiting for the cord to stop pulsating. Then dh cut the cord, I made him take lots of photos and video as we missed all that with our last birth.

He was just so calm, just loved being on me and didn't cry till he was taken away it was truly the most beautiful post birth experience I have ever had

I then pushed the placenta out and that was harder than I thought lol. He went straight to the breast for the next 40 mins. Dh sent messages and made phone calls during that time and by that stage I was ready to have a shower and we did all his measurements, needles etc...

We named him Lucas Riccardo, I always liked the name Lucas & his middle name us after dh. He was born at 8.10pm on the 16th July and  was 3510g (my biggest)50.5cm and 34.5 hc.

Now a year later, I look back and he has brought our family so much joy and is the funniest little guy and adores his siblings. We are truly blessed to have him in our livesπŸ’•

Attached Files

Edited by Divine 35, 11 August 2016 - 11:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.