Accounting software for micro business

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 feral magnolia

Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:59 PM

Hi, I am looking for accounting software for my business, which is tiny. It needs to be able to handle BAS and one employee, and import bank transactions. With about 5 invoices a month, no inventory, one user and limited outgoings, I would just use excel (and have in the past) but would like the software to help with the BAS and payroll/super and also make it easier to get the information to the accountant in the right format.

An accountant has recommended Cashflow Manager and I've also looked into Quickbooks Online Simple Start. It looks like people really like Xero but I think I'd be paying for unnecessary functionality.

Any recommendations? Thanks

#2 timtam92

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:05 PM

Ask your accountant what they would prefer. Some have a program they use so it's easier at tax time.

#3 cordyline

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:08 PM

Xero.

Subscription is only $25pm.

#4 Moukmouk

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:26 PM

Xero. Easy to use, and it can grow if your business does. The accountants and book keepers like it as it works in well with them. I was completely new to all of the business side and it is easy to use. I like the payroll function.

#5 Lesley225

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:33 PM

$300 for that small a business seems a bit dear though.

#6 2good4u

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:39 PM

Quickbooks. $15pm.

#7 Not Escapin Xmas

Posted 20 August 2016 - 05:45 PM

Xero. But get your accountant to set it up for you! Really, $300 a year is minimal. You are going to have other much larger costs, insurance for one.

#8 Bone Apple Tea

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:11 PM

View PostLesley225, on 20 August 2016 - 05:33 PM, said:

$300 for that small a business seems a bit dear though.

I agree.

I would do everything using manual books / excel for a business that small and just writing cheques for the 5 invoices per month.

Having said that, I'm not sure how you could pay super using superstream without accounting software, although your accountant could do this on your behalf, although would probably charge more than $300 per annum for the privelege.

ETA upon reflection, even though it is overkill for such a small business, quickbooks or xero would be your best bet.  I would avoid MYOB.  We pay around $1200 pa for the subscription with all the bells and whistles and aren't particularly happy with the system or service.

Edited by canstayferal, 20 August 2016 - 06:18 PM.

#9 Hopefully helpful

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:27 PM

I love Xero!

#10 BadCat

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:38 PM

This one might be worth a look.  I haven't looked into it myself.

http://www.freeaccou...oftware.com.au/

Edited by BadCat, 20 August 2016 - 06:44 PM.

#11 hills mum bec

Posted 20 August 2016 - 06:52 PM

View Postcanstayferal, on 20 August 2016 - 06:11 PM, said:

I agree.

I would do everything using manual books / excel for a business that small and just writing cheques for the 5 invoices per month.

Having said that, I'm not sure how you could pay super using superstream without accounting software, although your accountant could do this on your behalf, although would probably charge more than $300 per annum for the privelege.

You don't need an accounting package to comply with super stream.  You can use the ATO super clearing house for free if you have less than 19 employees.
https://www.ato.gov....clearing-house/

#12 MK24

Posted 20 August 2016 - 08:35 PM

Quickbooks online is a great program and will allow your business to grow without changing software and is also very user friendly and cost effective

Edited by MK24, 20 August 2016 - 08:37 PM.

#13 feral magnolia

Posted 21 August 2016 - 10:52 AM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, very helpful. Thanks for the super clearing house link hills mum bec - I'll check it out in more detail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.