anxiety following c section

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jess2023

Posted 06 September 2016 - 10:53 AM

hi

ive just recently had my baby via elective c section nearly 2 weeks ago. i chose to have a c section to avoid worsening the fecal incontinence id been experiencing since two previous vaginal births.

For the past two days Ive been suffering from terrible anxiety, feeling really preoccupied with the healing process and things going wrong internally. I had stopped bleeding and last night it started again, but its not heavy but has returned to a dark red. I also have a pain that feels muscular but I'm paranoid ive busted a stitch inside.

Is this all just my anxiety or have others felt this way?

#2 Hollycoddle

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:09 AM

Sounds perfectly normal to me - it is major abdominal surgery, after all.  I would keep an eye on the wound though - mine came open after about 2 weeks but I was told by the doctor that was normal too as any fluid or build-up inside will find a way to get out.  I just had to get it dressed every few days at the wound clinic at the chemist for a week or two.

#3 Therese

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:13 AM

If you are worried, it is always best to go to your GP to get it checked out. A c section is major surgery and so it takes a while to recover. Weird pains were a part of my recovery but it is probably worth getting checked out if your bleeding has returned.

#4 PocketIcikleflakes

Posted 06 September 2016 - 11:53 AM

17 months past my second c section I still get twinges. It all sounds normal but that doesn't mean there's nothing that can help. See your OB with any concerns. Get a referral to a Women's physio to be checked for adhesions and get exercises to help healing and strengthen your core muscles. There are often public physios you can see but there is usually a long wait to get in.
Best of luck with your recovery.

#5 Natttmumm

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:10 PM

Sounds normal but I cant see any harm in going for a quick visit to a GP or calling the home doctor if you cant get out. Why sit and be anxious if you can be checked out.

I find my anxiety was quite bad the first few weeks after birth due to being very tired and not getting enough rest. I hope you are getting help

For 3 weeks following my C-section I was in a lot of burning pain when I got up or moved around. I couldn't have walked to the end of the street. By 4 weeks I was recovering but for me it took a full 6 weeks

#6 Lallalla

Posted 06 September 2016 - 03:52 PM

I think if the colour goes backwards you're supposed to get checked out. I had that and an increase in pain (more like cramps than the ongoing twinges) plus a really awful smell. I had an infection that a course of antibiotics cleared up

Edited to add a fever is another sign of infection but not if you have a localised infection like I did.

Edited by Lallalla, 06 September 2016 - 03:56 PM.

#7 Soontobegran

Posted 06 September 2016 - 04:25 PM

The pain is most likely normal but the preoccupation about something being wrong is probably what needs attention right now OP.
I think you need to see your GP and have a chat.

Lots of luck.

#8 c.sanders

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:19 AM

Hi op. I'm not sure why it's the case but with both my c-sections I bled for a long time...like 12 weeks or something crazy like hat...u r was light at the end but still going. It sucked and I was paranoid but they said it was normal. I would still get it checked out. The twinge are pretty oral though. Your nerves have been cut so your sensations/feelings are all over the place. It's only been 2 weeks. Your body needs a lot longer to heal.

#9 c.sanders

Posted 07 September 2016 - 01:22 AM

Just to add most likely you would have disolving stitches wouldn't you? So that might be normal too. Maybe check that out as well. But even if u had busted a stitch...your skin has been held together long enough to start healing at the cut anyway. If it makes you feel any better I didn't get stitches...I had staples, first time dr hose that, second time I requested it. It's amazing how well the skin heals. They routinely take staples out at day 3 and 5 so you can imagine the cut heals really well in general.

#10 Yaya80

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:02 PM

I had anxiety after my DD, an emergency c-section, for me it was all of sudden my body was doing all this stuff I had no control over, so felt "not in control of me" if that makes sense. Please talk to your GP or Midwife if you are still seeing one or Maternal health nurse. Talking to someone make so much difference I found.

Hope you are feeling better soon xo

#11 Kay1

Posted 07 September 2016 - 02:38 PM

I have had 3 c-sections and the physical symptoms you describe sound very familiar. I also had stop start bleeding. I did call my OB and speak to his nurse a couple of times for reassurance. Is this an option for you?

Keep an eye on your feelings though, if you are developing post partum anxiety it could well be focused around your surgery. If you find it is getting worse rather than better in the next few days I'd suggest a chat with your GP.

Edited by Kay1, 07 September 2016 - 02:38 PM.

#12 jess2023

Posted 10 September 2016 - 03:30 PM

thanks everyone. I went to my gp in the end. I have already had issues with anxiety in the past so I thought best not to ignore it.

I had anxiety after my DD, an emergency c-section, for me it was all of sudden my body was doing all this stuff I had no control over, so felt "not in control of me" if that makes sense

Read more: http://www.essential.../#ixzz4JpOnuhSv
Follow us: @essentialbaby on Twitter | EssentialBabyAU on Facebook

I think this is exactly what I have been feeling.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.