Older Dads

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bidi

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:49 AM

We are TTC no.4 and unfortunately have suffered 2 MMC's this year so far.  Of course this has caused me to stress about my age at 38 turning 39 in January.  But yesterday when having a casual conversation with my friend (no specifics as only my 2 sisters know we are TTC) we moved onto the topic of more kids.  I said I wasn't against the idea of another and her response was "isn't DH a bit old".  I was a bit taken back because yes he is 42 turning 43 in January but I suppose all the focus has been on my age.  It got me thinking about it.  Is 43 too old for him to have a new born???  Have I left it too late for him???  I just never considered him too old as he is fit, active and really healthy.  He runs around with our DS 8, DS 5 and DD 2 and is fine.  But again I never gave it much thought.  Anybody else got a DH or partner that age?  Has it been OK??!?  Just a bit worried now where as before all I stressed about was my "advanced maternal age"!

#2 blondie82

Posted 10 September 2016 - 10:59 AM

What?! Gee I hope it's not too old! Ha! I'm about to pop with number 3 and DH is 42. He was 35 when we had our first and 36 when we had our second.

In all seriousness though, we have had a brief discussion about going for number 4 and it was the first time he said that he felt he was probably done as he didn't want to be fathering little kids in his late-forties. Fair enough too.

Good luck with it OP.

#3 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 10 September 2016 - 11:17 AM

DHs dad was 51 when he was born to his 43yo mother..... That was 40 years ago..... DH was a honeymoon baby.... A very big surprise :)

#4 ABabyPlease

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:11 PM

DP and DFIL were both late 40s for their first child.

Good luck!

#5 paddington_

Posted 04 October 2016 - 08:33 PM

My dad was 43 when I was born.  My mum was 40.
I didn't miss out on anything!
My mum is fitter than I am and she's now 73.
Age is just a number.

#6 Bereckii

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:13 PM

Sorry to hear of your losses.

DH was 42 (I was 32) when our eldest (now 7) was born.

He was 48 (I was 38) when our youngest (now 2) was born.

He's a great Dad - he has lots of active adventures (park playing, cycling, beach, etc) on the weekend with the kids. We enjoy being outdoors together. He initiates a lot of the fun family activities we do.

He does make it a priority to look after his own health and fitness. He always has, but continues to do so despite busy family life.

In an ideal world he (we) might have had kids much younger, but we hadn't found each other yet, sothe opportunity wasn't there until later in life. Obviously there are pros and cons each way. No regrets for us thus far.

Best of luck.

#7 Jennifaraway

Posted 04 October 2016 - 09:28 PM

DH was 40 for baby #1 (I was 34) and 43 for #2 (I was 37). Not too old, although we're both really frigging tired. DS does. Not. Stop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.