Large age gap?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 LUV-MY-KIDS

Posted 28 December 2016 - 10:58 PM

Being school holidays age gap drives me crazy and find it hard to do family time.  16year old and 7 year old.  Prior to last couple of years it was ok, but since she hit 14/15 trying to do things together has become hard.  i find now we hardly do anything as a family and as my DD keeps pointing out it's her that has to compromise all the time and she is right, so this holidays we are doing it totally seperate, I took him away for a week and I'm going away with her to watch tennis soon.

#27 babybug15

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:03 PM

LUV-MY-KIDS, on 28 December 2016 - 10:58 PM, said:

i find now we hardly do anything as a family and as my DD keeps pointing out it's her that has to compromise all the time and she is right, so this holidays we are doing it totally seperate, I took him away for a week and I'm going away with her to watch tennis soon.

I'm glad you realised this and I hope your daughter appreciates you are making the effort to spend quality time with her. I am 4 and 12 years older than my siblings and was very frustrated as a teen that we always had to do what I saw as "baby" things and my parents ignored the fact I was turning into a young adult. As an adult I understand more now, but it still hurt and felt like I was ignored at the time.

#28 LUV-MY-KIDS

Posted 28 December 2016 - 11:31 PM

babybug15, on 28 December 2016 - 11:03 PM, said:

I'm glad you realised this and I hope your daughter appreciates you are making the effort to spend quality time with her. I am 4 and 12 years older than my siblings and was very frustrated as a teen that we always had to do what I saw as "baby" things and my parents ignored the fact I was turning into a young adult. As an adult I understand more now, but it still hurt and felt like I was ignored at the time.

Luckily my dad was in same situation with his siblings him and his brother are only a year apart and then a 10 year age gap and then his twin brothers.  He was the one that pointed out her venting was a legitimate one and it's exactly how he felt growing up.

Now I've done holiday with him I can see where she is coming from, this time last year we had a dreadful holiday as she was just over having to do things with him and having to do and go places she had no interest in.  it does take a lot of effort though as this week I do one day with him and then take her out the next day, so no down time for me, but in the end it's less conflict so more pleasant all round.

I can see why my parents after dads experience were keen to have us all close together.

Edited by LUV-MY-KIDS, 28 December 2016 - 11:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.