A doctor's opinion on NaPro technology for infertility?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GreyhoundLover

Posted 13 September 2016 - 08:57 PM

A bit of background... a friend of mine is trying to conceive her first child and unfortunately has had no success after over 2 years of trying.

She told me her doctor was going to treat her with this new "NaPro technology" as an alternative to having IVF (she is a Catholic and so I don't think she agrees with IVF).

I had no idea what NaPro was, at first I just assumed it was some amazing new fertility technique but after some reading I realised it is heavily influenced by religious teachings and it basically just looks like it is a combination of awareness of fertility signs in women and recognised traditional fertility medicine (ie treatments of PCOS, endometriosis etc) that a fertility doctor would attempt before giving up and recommending IVF..
So in other words NOT an alternative to IVF and not as likely to result in pregnancy??

I was just after some feedback from people who have either tried it or who are in the medical field as to whether it can be considered a viable alternative to IVF or whether my friend is wasting her precious time avoiding IVF :(

Of course at the end of the day it is her decision but I was just curious as to whether the statistics presented by the institutions that recommend NaPro are as positive as they are claiming...

#2 Seven of Nine

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:04 PM

I too have a friend using a NaPro doctor and the treatments she receives seem about the same as any doctor would use. Cycle tracking, clomid, sperm count etc.. Progesterone seems to be big too.

I wouldn't call it an alternative to IVF, and I don't really understand why you wouldn't just see a normal doctor closer to home.

#3 Caribou

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:06 PM

Is she not trying ovulation tracking and ovulation induction? They're fairly conservative as you can get. I'm not sure about the NaPro thing!

Edited by ~Mintie~, 13 September 2016 - 09:11 PM.
Edited to remove ticker

#4 GreyhoundLover

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:12 PM

View PostMadnesscraves, on 13 September 2016 - 09:06 PM, said:

Is she not trying ovulation tracking and ovulation induction? They're fairly conservative as you can get. I'm not sure about the NaPro thing!

I think she is trying ovulation tracking and they are trying to medically treat PCOS...

By the way madness I was SO stoked to see you were expecting again :) Congratulations!!!! I remember you from when I was on the TTC boards and you were always so lovely and I'm just so happy for you x

Seven of nine - that's exactly what I thought... it just seems wrong to tell women that it's a 'natural alternative to IVF' because that seems to imply that you are are likely to get a baby at the end of it.

#5 Seven of Nine

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:19 PM

I think there is a feeling that OBs aren't thorough enough and that a NaPro doctor will look into more avenues because they can't go down the IVF or ICSI route. I don't agree.

It's an alternative to IVF in that not doing IVF is an alternative to IVF, I guess??

Edited by Seven of Nine, 13 September 2016 - 09:52 PM.

#6 Sara.xoxo

Posted 13 September 2016 - 09:45 PM

I don't know about Na pro but I think catholics have the option to do  GIFT instead of IVF?

Edited by Sara.xoxo, 13 September 2016 - 09:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.