WLS - Swapping a band to the sleeve

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 lulu_kimmy

Posted 22 September 2016 - 03:52 PM

Hi. I am 150kg. I was banded in 2007 and lost 30 kilos quickly but due to relationship breakdown, low self esteem and not looking after myself I am back at my starting weight. Thinking of swapping to the sleeve and would just like some advice/reassurance of people who have done the same thing. Also I have type 2 diabetes for which I take tablets and insulin - how did your diabetes go with the sleeve? Thank you in advance and apologies if this is in the wrong section.

#2 OnTheRegular

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:20 PM

Can i play devil's advocate here and ask why you think the sleeve will work if the band hasn't been currently? If your band is correctly adjusted (and given your gain I'm guessing it isn't) and your head is in the right space, you should be able to start your journey again.

I've been up and down with my weight since I had my band (2010) including 2 pregnancies post band but I know that even though it is there I will not lose if my head isn't in it. Even in the last couple of months I've recentred my thinking, gone back to basics and lost more than the stable weight I'd been at for some time - it's all about the head space.

I honestly urge you to go and talk to your lap-band surgeon, get an adjustment and start back the way you did when you first lost weight, shakes if you need and then count the calories and add the exercise before undertaking more major surgery - odds are they're going to suggest a shake and reduction diet prior to surgery anyway due to liver fragility.  Also from my understanding it is a 2 stage process, you can't have band out and sleeve done in the same operation as this reduces the effectiveness of the sleeve procedure due to scar tissue from the band.

The band is only a helpful tool, unfortunately it isn't a fix all and we as people still have the do the majority of the work.

#3 paddington_

Posted 22 September 2016 - 04:54 PM

Lulu there are some great FB groups for sleeve patients.  Lots have gone band to sleeve and don't regret it for a second.

#4 Soontobegran

Posted 22 September 2016 - 05:45 PM

View PostOnTheRegular, on 22 September 2016 - 04:20 PM, said:

Can i play devil's advocate here and ask why you think the sleeve will work if the band hasn't been currently? If your band is correctly adjusted (and given your gain I'm guessing it isn't) and your head is in the right space, you should be able to start your journey again.

I've been up and down with my weight since I had my band (2010) including 2 pregnancies post band but I know that even though it is there I will not lose if my head isn't in it. Even in the last couple of months I've recentred my thinking, gone back to basics and lost more than the stable weight I'd been at for some time - it's all about the head space.

I honestly urge you to go and talk to your lap-band surgeon, get an adjustment and start back the way you did when you first lost weight, shakes if you need and then count the calories and add the exercise before undertaking more major surgery - odds are they're going to suggest a shake and reduction diet prior to surgery anyway due to liver fragility.  Also from my understanding it is a 2 stage process, you can't have band out and sleeve done in the same operation as this reduces the effectiveness of the sleeve procedure due to scar tissue from the band.

The band is only a helpful tool, unfortunately it isn't a fix all and we as people still have the do the majority of the work.

With respect they are entirely different surgeries and the band is an op that is very quickly being made redundant in favour of the sleeve due to it's failure rate.

#5 paddington_

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:42 PM

I should add that I have the sleeve and have never felt better!
From the experiences I have seen from people the FB groups, I can tell you that you will need to wait about 12 weeks inbetween the band coming out and the sleeve op. Also,  depending on what condition your stomach is in,  some surgeons will want to go to Bypass instead of sleeve if there is too much damage.
The overwhelming concensus is that the band is a nightmare and they are so happy to have it out and converted to sleeve/bypass.

Edited by paddington_, 22 September 2016 - 06:43 PM.

#6 OnTheRegular

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:26 AM

View PostSoontobegran, on 22 September 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

With respect they are entirely different surgeries and the band is an op that is very quickly being made redundant in favour of the sleeve due to it's failure rate.

With respect, surely considering the OP already has a band it would be in her best interests to do everything in her power to see if she can get some results with it BEFORE resorting to two more lots of significant surgery (1 or which is irreversible)?!?

I would have thought that was a no brainer... And I certainly didn't suggest that the sleeve would not be an option at all, merely that she may find success with the right additional tools in her tool belt.

Many patients who consider their band a failure don't see their doctor regularly (and the longer between visits the harder it is to go back, I understand that) and this is a major reason for the band failure. Monitoring is a major part of the band success. Hence why I suggested that the OP go and visit her original doctor/surgeon before making any decisions.

And also STBG I don't appreciate your assumption and insinuation that I don't know what I am talking about (they are very different surgeries, clearly) seeing as I've got a lap-band, which was clearly stated in my post. I kinda do know something about what I am talking about 56.2 very hard and stubborn kilos lost later (and still minimum 11 of those to go).

Edited by OnTheRegular, 23 September 2016 - 09:27 AM.

#7 Soontobegran

Posted 23 September 2016 - 10:19 AM

View PostOnTheRegular, on 23 September 2016 - 09:26 AM, said:

With respect, surely considering the OP already has a band it would be in her best interests to do everything in her power to see if she can get some results with it BEFORE resorting to two more lots of significant surgery (1 or which is irreversible)?!?

I would have thought that was a no brainer... And I certainly didn't suggest that the sleeve would not be an option at all, merely that she may find success with the right additional tools in her tool belt.

Many patients who consider their band a failure don't see their doctor regularly (and the longer between visits the harder it is to go back, I understand that) and this is a major reason for the band failure. Monitoring is a major part of the band success. Hence why I suggested that the OP go and visit her original doctor/surgeon before making any decisions.

And also STBG I don't appreciate your assumption and insinuation that I don't know what I am talking about (they are very different surgeries, clearly) seeing as I've got a lap-band, which was clearly stated in my post. I kinda do know something about what I am talking about 56.2 very hard and stubborn kilos lost later (and still minimum 11 of those to go).

Yes, I KNOW SHE HAS A BAND .....it has failed her and she is asking what's next and of course she will visit her doctor before making any decisions.

You are lucky your band has been successful. Everyone I know who has had one ( and there are many ) have eventually had it failed and replaced by a sleeve.
A little research will tell you that many surgeons will bypass the band if there is significant weight to lose because they have a high failure rate......it is fact.
The very reputable surgeon I spoke to said he ONLY removes them these days and they have generally caused significant damage by this time........that does not mean they do not work for anyone.......it didn't work for the OP.

#8 ElizabethIAm

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:17 PM

I am desperate to have my band removed and had planned on getting the sleeve however turns out I can't afford to get my band removed. My PHI now only part covers th removal and they told me I would have to pay for my hospital room and theatre fees!!! My surgeon is not at all sympathetic for my circumstances. I am now on the public waiting list for the removal.

#9 lulu_kimmy

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:27 PM

Thank you all for your thoughts and opinions. The surgeon has said to go for bypass as with the scar tissue from the band I won't be able to have sleeving done.  Will be having the band out and having 6 months before bypass to give my stomach a good time to recover.

#10 lulu_kimmy

Posted 23 October 2016 - 03:30 PM

ElizabethIAm would it be worth upping your level of health insurance? Also it may be worth looking into early release of superannuation

#11 PurpleWitch

Posted 27 October 2016 - 10:42 PM

I dont think surgeons do bands anymore! They should be banned!!

I had one in in 2007 and was sleeved in 2009 or 2010, I always forget lol.

Anyway. I absolutely love my sleeve. Best thing ever! No drama like the stupid band. No blockages No adjustments.

Just 50 odd kilos gone :)

Good luck!

#12 lulu_kimmy

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:46 PM

Hi all. Thanks so much for your opinions. So in July 2017 I had my gastric band removed & in October 2017 I had a gastric bypass operation (I wasn’t eligible for the sleeve) I am 35 kilos down (20 of those post op) & am really happy.

Sorry I haven’t updated before now.

#13 limakilo

Posted 19 December 2017 - 12:36 AM

Can I ask how the bypass has helped better, and why you couldn't sleeve? Glad you are feeling happy!

#14 lulu_kimmy

Posted 19 December 2017 - 02:21 AM

LK1 - I couldn’t sleeve because of the internal damage done by the band, apparently quite common. Given I had a lot to lose & other health concerns (type 2 diabetes) it was also felt by the surgeon that I would have a better outcome with the bypass than a sleeve & he would have recommend I go that way rather than then sleeve but would have given me the choice (had I been able to have sleeve)

#15 PurpleWitch

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:05 PM

Congrats!

I couldn't have a "traditional" sleeve due to all the damage from my band..

seems a common issue. STUPID BANDS

#16 limakilo

Posted 29 December 2017 - 08:42 PM

View Postlulu_kimmy, on 19 December 2017 - 02:21 AM, said:

LK1 - I couldn’t sleeve because of the internal damage done by the band, apparently quite common. Given I had a lot to lose & other health concerns (type 2 diabetes) it was also felt by the surgeon that I would have a better outcome with the bypass than a sleeve & he would have recommend I go that way rather than then sleeve but would have given me the choice (had I been able to have sleeve)
Thanks for the reply. A family member is leaning towards the bypass instead of sleeve, and I was interested to hear how you went.

#17 lulu_kimmy

Posted 31 December 2017 - 08:19 AM

LK1 - best of luck. If they have any questions or anything feel free to send me a PM & I am happy to give you my email or phone number.

#18 #YKG

Posted 06 January 2018 - 02:13 PM

View PostSoontobegran, on 22 September 2016 - 05:45 PM, said:

Bariatric surgery in general has an extremely high failure and complication rate. There’s a reason the surgeons indemnity insurance is $500k+ for 12 months.

I considered bariatric surgery and after my last job where I had to deal with the fall out from it, you couldn’t pay me to get it done.

Edit: the rest Nm

Edited by #YKG, 06 January 2018 - 02:14 PM.

#19 ShelbyP

Posted 08 January 2018 - 09:38 PM

1% failure rate for sleeve apparently. EB is very anti-WLS, as I've learned.

#20 #YKG

Posted 09 January 2018 - 05:26 PM

View Post~Greengables~, on 08 January 2018 - 09:38 PM, said:

1% failure rate for sleeve apparently. EB is very anti-WLS, as I've learned.

Yeah that is not, by a long shot the failure/complication rate.

If you’ve seen what I have in regards to bariatric surgery, I doubt you’d love the idea either. I’ve seen ruptured stomachs, twisted bowels, leaking from the stomach and the list goes on. My last job was to triage medical complaints to then forward on to the lawyers, bariatric and obs were the two biggest areas for complaints and issues, again there’s a reason a Dr will pay over $500k in indemnity fees to be covered for it.

#21 JediMaster

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:11 PM

What is considered a failure in WLS terms? Complications like list above? Or is that failure to lose excess weight counted ?

I only know 2 people IRL who have had the sleeve. One person lost 40kg - 4 yrs post op, she looks great (sz 10?) ... but has had to have several iron infusions. And initially lost a LOT of hair.
The other lost 20kg but would still be close to 100kg (3yrs post op). She has said she feel like she can eat as much food as pre op... but is certainly more active and healthy now.

#22 Mummy_Em

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:27 PM

I don’t know what ‘counts’ as a failure rate, but I know some people overeat despite the band. My dad lost really well and then after a few years he started regaining. He also has a lot of reflux and is restricted in what foods he can eat (meat, raw fruit and veg and bread are difficult). But he hasn’t gone back up to his original size, and his diabetes is better controlled.

Some doctors aren’t doing bands anymore due to these issues.

I believe bands are somewhat reversible, which I Tink is the main draw, whereas sleeves are not, because most of the stomach is removed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.