Formulas Aptimal AR

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Mrmumof3

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:10 PM

Hi ladies I need some advice my bubs is 12 weeks old and a bottle fed baby, we have tried many formulas as she is a very gassy colicky baby and has silent reflux.
I tried 6 formulas none worked, once I realised she had silent reflux I put her on aptimal ar, after finally getting the right teat for the thickness of it!! she now has very runny stools, she was a once a day baby now she has very runny poos after each feed.
Has anyone else had this happen? Is it her just adjusting to the formula? Besides the runny poops she is a much happier baby, I get to see her little face so much more as before she would just cry and cry!! She dose scream. Before taking the bottle then once I settle her she will feed.
Also she feeds less often, used to feed every 2-3 hrs now she goes up to 5 hrs without a feed.....
Any one else out ere have similar problems on this formula? Should I change once again??? HELP!!

#2 seayork2002

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:16 PM

Our son was on aptimal - 1 scoop to 1oz water and he did have a variety of nappies! but never strained or pulled faces etc so i just went with the flow

#3 Ellie bean

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:19 PM

Some (not all) silent reflux babies have a dairy intolerance, I would talk to your gp, Karicare allerpro is really good if there is a mild dairy intolerance (which can cause runny poo)
Good luck, reflux is tough

#4 Jingleflea

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:22 PM

5 hours between feeds seems a bit of a gap in my opinion, how many feeds a day would that be?

#5 Mrmumof3

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:42 PM

5/6 feeds a day.
Yeah I thought it may b a mild intolerance to dairy.

#6 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 22 September 2016 - 08:47 PM

Is she medicated for the reflux?

#7 AlmondButter

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:05 PM

It sounds like my DS who had cows milk protein intolerance. Probably worth a visit to the GP to check it out...

#8 Ellie bean

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:52 PM

Charity for reflux parents www.reflux.org.au has some possibly useful info on the website Mrist

#9 PooksLikeChristmas

Posted 23 September 2016 - 06:41 PM

Switching formulas around may do very little without the right treatment and then checking for allergy and intolerance if that doesn't work.

#10 JoDie82

Posted 25 September 2016 - 02:54 PM

Could you tell me what bottles and teats your using? I've put my 6 week old on Aptimal AR about 3 weeks ago and am unsure if I have the right teat yet. He has been much the same with his stools... quite loose and at every single feed. Dr took a sample looking for micro-scopic blood, (which would confirm a lactose intolerance) but there was none. Then all of a sudden he has started passing extremely solid stools and screaming in agony at doing so. With each day he is becoming more agitated, especially at feeding.... he farts excessively and SMELLS! He drinks around 200ml every 4 hours (he is a big boy - 9lb 5oz born). I'm thinking he has some silent reflux, the AR stopped him vomiting but something still isn't right. He seems to have a lot of pain in his belly, pulling his legs up, fussing and crying (before, during and after) feeding. He makes horrible gulping, gasping, groaning noises and hiccups a lot. Any suggestions on what I could do to help him??

#11 Mrmumof3

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:39 AM

I use event bottle so I got the variable flow teats, once she got used to it she liked them. I called my midwife and she suggested novolac reflux so I've using that and she is quiet happy with it, she is a little constipated but I give her extra water and coloxyl if it gets bad.

#12 Mrmumof3

Posted 26 September 2016 - 08:11 AM

Also it thickens in the tummy so u can use normal teats,
Much easier I went through every teat and more before I got the variable ones!
I'm trying diff formula as I don't want to medicate her just yet. I've heard really good things about novolac.
We have had trouble with feeding since birth, she had a tounge tie so couldn't latch on to my breast, we had to wait 2 weeks for it to b cut by a dental surgeon, I was expressing but it wasn't enough, I ended up have no milk supply for her :(
My other two breast fed for 3/4 months and had no problems putting them on the bottle but with this little one it has been a roller coaster ride!!!

#13 JoDie82

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:47 AM

When you changed to novolac did you change teats again?

#14 Mrmumof3

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:25 AM

I went back to normal teats, as te variable tears where drowning her, the novo lac is like normal formula in consistency

#15 JoDie82

Posted 26 September 2016 - 12:40 PM

So do you use avent bottles with a 2 teat, has the novolac made a big difference? my little guy is now very unsettled and seems to be gulping bottles of AR but fighting with the bottle at same time. thinking I may need to change formula.

#16 Mrmumof3

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:08 AM

So sorry for the late reply!! Yes advent bottles and normal tests no 2.
I ended up using novolac colic.....but she is still unsettled poor bubba :(
My doc suggested putting her on a lactose free formula so today we trying that!! Fingers crossed this works!!

#17 Kafkaesque

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:27 AM

I know this is probably sorted for the OP now but for anyone new coming and searching for info 6 different formulas in 12 weeks is too many changes. You need to stick with a formula for at least 3-4 weeks to really know how it's working for your baby.

#18 Mrmumof3

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:35 AM

She has been on this formula for about 3 weeks :)

#19 Mrmumof3

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:26 AM

View PostKafkaesque, on 14 October 2016 - 09:27 AM, said:

I know this is probably sorted for the OP now but for anyone new coming and searching for info 6 different formulas in 12 weeks is too many changes. You need to stick with a formula for at least 3-4 weeks to really know how it's working for your baby.

I've never read that it takes that long? 3days to 2 weeks is what I have read and what my doc told me

#20 Mollyksy

Posted 14 October 2016 - 10:52 AM

My son had a CMPI and initially seemed to respond to lactose free but within a few weeks had gone downhill again. For us, Allerpro (Karicare) was the solution. Hope it is sorted for you though.

#21 Mrmumof3

Posted 30 October 2016 - 06:14 AM

Hi Ladies,
Just thought id update I put her on s26 lactose free and she is now finally a happy little bubba!! It's worked wonders, no crying/screaming straining it's like she is a completely diff baby!!
Hope ur all doing well :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.