Elective csection - not medically indicated. Can someone recommend an on/gynae in Melbourne?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Ybaby

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:29 AM

Hi everyone!

I have a major fear of giving birth and after all the research I have done (knowing the risks of a csection) I have decided I would still prefer one. Can anyone suggest a private hospital and an ob/gynae that would be happy to do a csection if it's not medically indicated? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! 😊

Edited by Ybaby, 24 September 2016 - 08:12 AM.

#2 IkeaAddict

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:46 AM

Not sure about specific OBs but most of them would do one if you requested it as a private patient. They would likely ask you why and try and offer alternatives....like controlled vaginal delivery using induction and pain management but if you were dead set against it then I can't imagine any OB refusing.

A work colleague was the same as you, absolutely terrified so at her first OB appointment she told her OB that this was what she wanted to do and that it was non negotiable. Her OB was fine with her decision

#3 possumbaby

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:00 AM

It's no problem. You just have to ask around. ask friends that have had good experiences with elective sections.and your gp will know who to refer you to if you let them know that a section is your preference.

Edited by possumbaby, 24 September 2016 - 08:02 AM.

#4 Ellie bean

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:02 AM

My private OB would have been fine with this. Best of luck!

#5 Ybaby

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:10 AM

Ellie bean, on 24 September 2016 - 08:02 AM, said:

My private OB would have been fine with this. Best of luck!
Hi Ellie Besn, could you private message me her details?
Unfortunately I don't know anyone that has had an elective csection πŸ™ Or can you recommend a well known OB that have a great reputation?

#6 IkeaAddict

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:15 AM

Is there a specific hospital you would like to have your baby at? If so then check with them as to which OBs deliver in that hospital and do some research from there

#7 Missy D

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:23 AM

Speak to your GP. I think many OB would view phobia of giving birth a valid reason for a c-section.

#8 Ybaby

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:27 AM

Thank you ladies!!

#9 Ybaby

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:40 AM

IkeaAddict, on 24 September 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

Is there a specific hospital you would like to have your baby at? If so then check with them as to which OBs deliver in that hospital and do some research from there
Im not too sure which hospital at this stage but I'm thinking potentially Cabrini? Unless someone can recommend another good one?

#10 mandala

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:47 AM

Ybaby, on 24 September 2016 - 08:40 AM, said:

Im not too sure which hospital at this stage but I'm thinking potentially Cabrini? Unless someone can recommend another good one?

While Cabrini gets good reviews, I found the OBs there to be pretty expensive compared to others.

Also consider how close the hospital is to your home. It can be a hassle you don't need travelling through difficult traffic, especially if you end up having to go in for monitoring etc. It's also handy for your partner to be able to pop home to collect things, do washing etc after the baby arrives.

I chose the hospital first, then the OB.

#11 Mooples

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:05 AM

Where are you located? I too would choose the hospital first then ask around for ob recommendations.

#12 Ybaby

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:13 AM

I'm only a 10 minute drive from Cabrini hence why I thought it may be a good option? I'm in the Caulfield area. Who would I approach once I've chosen a hospital to enquire about an OB?

#13 Silly Old Elf

Posted 24 September 2016 - 09:24 AM

Check their website
http://www.cabrini.c...-obstetricians/

Also, confirm when you call that the OB will be happy to do the c/s for your reasons. But in my experience, private OB ask which way you want to go anyway.

#14 Ellie bean

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:34 AM

Ybaby, on 24 September 2016 - 08:10 AM, said:

Hi Ellie Besn, could you private message me her details?
Unfortunately I don't know anyone that has had an elective csection 🙁 Or can you recommend a well known OB that have a great reputation?
Sorry I'm in WA so it wouldn't help much! I just wanted to reassure you that I think most private obs will do this :)

#15 Future-self

Posted 24 September 2016 - 12:42 PM

Choose your hospital first. Look at where it is , traffic to get there, their policies on baby rooming in, Caesar policy on skin to skin; are there lactation consultants on site that you can see; is there are special care nursery or a NICU? If not, where would baby be transferred to if they need NICU.

You can call the Hospitals and ask these things if you can't find the info on the web :)

Then look at the OBs that deliver there. Do you want a female/male; look at whether their rooms are on hospital grounds or elsewhere; so how easy will it be to get there for appointments; what about parking.
Once you have a shortlist Ask for recommendations here or google their names Then call their rooms and ask for their fee structure and mention that you want a caeser if you want to be certain they .

Most private OBs will work with you. They'll lay out risks and benefits and plan your elective at the best time medically

#16 Luci

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:01 PM

You could try going to the Cabrini website, and seeing if they have a list of OB's who deliver there. Some of those OB's might have their own websites, and might mention that they support whatever method of birth their patient's chose.

The first OB I had, with my first baby, mentions on her website that she supports elective c-sections.  I had a different OB with baby #2.  I wanted a C-section and when I booked in with him I asked his receptionist about it and she said straight out that he always let's the mother chose what she wants.

Good luck
Luci

#17 Ybaby

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:28 PM

Thank you ladies! That is incredibly helpful!! Lucikily I'm still very early in my pregnancy as I only just found out I got a BFP three days ago!!! So I have plenty of time to do my research 😊😊

#18 Mmmcheese

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:32 PM

Sent you a pm :)

#19 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:39 PM

Have sent PM.

My Cabrini OB reasonable price, but book in quick. He can be booked out by 5.5wks

#20 SplashingRainbows

Posted 24 September 2016 - 02:41 PM

Ybaby many OBs book out very quickly. I would be calling around first thing Monday to book in if you're set on private.

It won't be an uncommon question. I'm sure the receptionist will be able to tell you.

#21 smmaho

Posted 24 September 2016 - 03:13 PM

Your GP will be able to give you a referral and recommendations for a OB however I would get onto it soon. Some OB's book out quite quickly.

#22 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 24 September 2016 - 05:22 PM

You can book OB before going to GP. You will just need the referral from your GP prior to your first appt (usually 8wks).

With my third I booked at precisely 4wks (would not take bookings prior to this although BFP 10dpo), but got around to seeing the GP for referral right before going to OB at 8wks (GP next door to OB).

#23 MuminMtEliza

Posted 24 September 2016 - 06:49 PM

Have sent you a PM.

#24 Future-self

Posted 24 September 2016 - 06:58 PM

Ybaby, on 24 September 2016 - 02:28 PM, said:

Thank you ladies! That is incredibly helpful!! Lucikily I'm still very early in my pregnancy as I only just found out I got a BFP three days ago!!! So I have plenty of time to do my research 😊😊
Congratulations ! But no, actually you have no time!!
You need to be calling and booking one on Monday or Tuesday . My OB had to turn people away by 6 weeks, she's booked out for the month by then.

#25 LUV-MY-KIDS

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:05 PM

Futureself, on 24 September 2016 - 06:58 PM, said:

Congratulations ! But no, actually you have no time!!
You need to be calling and booking one on Monday or Tuesday . My OB had to turn people away by 6 weeks, she's booked out for the month by then.

I would be doing that also.  

My OB asked at 1st appointment if I had any preference for natural or c-section.

They book out quick so sooner is better to book.  Go with the hospital you want.  I just got a list from the hospital and started ringing.

Edited by LUV-MY-KIDS, 24 September 2016 - 07:07 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.