Elective csection - not medically indicated. Can someone recommend an on/gynae in Melbourne?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#26 Soontobegran

Posted 24 September 2016 - 07:15 PM

View PostYbaby, on 24 September 2016 - 08:40 AM, said:

Im not too sure which hospital at this stage but I'm thinking potentially Cabrini? Unless someone can recommend another good one?
I can't think of a private Obstetrician who would not say yes to this.
I will PM you.

#27 Ybaby

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:36 PM

Wow I had no idea they get so booked out so quickly! Thought I had weeks to spare!!

#28 Rainbow21

Posted 24 September 2016 - 08:42 PM

I had an elective c section at Cabrini a few weeks ago, was a great experience, will PM you the details.

#29 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:21 PM

Cabrini can be booked out by 6wks.

My OBs office organised that

#30 Ybaby

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:22 PM

thank you again! I will contact them Monday morning! 😊

Edited by Ybaby, 24 September 2016 - 10:34 PM.

#31 purpleblaze

Posted 24 September 2016 - 10:48 PM

Not what you asked but keep an open mind re childbirth, it's still early days. I was terrified and ended up doing a calm birth course which really helped with my mindset and approach to labour. I know everyone is different but I ended up having a natural birth with no drugs, and whilst it was challenging it wasn't as painful as I had anticipated.

Agree with others that private OB's generally have no probes with elective.

#32 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 25 September 2016 - 12:41 PM

My OB was happy to leave it open (CS or not), even suggesting wait until I was in labour and then decide. He was even willing to suggest booking CS in for 40ks and then decide on the day if I went earlier.

Even though I had 3cs, although all three were scheduled to be done prior to 38wks, 2 became emergency as I went into labour prior to CS date. With my third I was asked if I wanted to continue labour or go to CS, I chose CS and no one blinked an eye. It was more about offering the alternative, not pushing it.

#33 born.a.girl

Posted 25 September 2016 - 01:06 PM

View PostYbaby, on 24 September 2016 - 08:10 AM, said:

Hi Ellie Besn, could you private message me her details?
Unfortunately I don't know anyone that has had an elective csection Or can you recommend a well known OB that have a great reputation?

An 'elective' is just one which has been decided on before labour.  I had an 'elective' because giving birth 'naturally' would have been death defying.  Some 'emergency' caesars are because people demand them when they feel they can go no further with labour.

When discussing the options with my gynae (admittedly private), and I was vacillating between the two (I was given the option of early induction, trial of labour, attached to all monitors, no moving around, no showers etc, and he gave that a less than 50% chance of succeeding), I said that I felt like a cop out going straight to a caesar. He stressed that there are women who simply can't face labour and choose a Caesar, so obviously it's not an uncommon thing to happen.

Good luck with the search.

#34 Veritas Vinum Arte

Posted 25 September 2016 - 05:49 PM

As I said 2/3 of my "elective" cs (2 medically required due to baby position and size) became "emerg" ca because I went into labour before scheduled date.

Basically if a date for cs is set it is "elective" if it then happens on that day... Even if the mother has eclampsia and to not do cs would involve death of both mother and baby, if a date and time has been scheduled and it happens that day it is "elective".

Emergency cs just refers to the fact that labour has started prior to the cs. So 2 of mine were emergency as they happened 1-2wks before scheduled date.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.