Breast Cancer symptoms during menstrual cycle

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 inabind

Posted 14 October 2016 - 08:42 AM

Hi all
I'm hoping to seek some information ahead of a doctor's appointment and a mammogram next week.

I don't have a specific lump but have had very tender breasts (one in particular) the past three menstrual cycles, and have a reddish, slightly painful area on the right breast.

The symptoms flare just before my period and then ease slightly but the bad one stays painful when I press hard.

I know / hope I'm probably being paranoid (and have googled to within an inch of my life) - but previously I've never had tender breasts during my cycle.

Can anyone provide insights into how their breasts typically feel / felt during a cycle ?

I'm 47, and have a bit of cancer in the family (grandmother bowel, paternal aunt breast).  I'm single with a 4yo boy and frankly, very scared.  I know I need to calm until I've seen medical professionals but I'm struggling on my own as I don't want to unnecessarily worry my family.  

Thank you :-)

#2 Gruffalo's Child

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:01 AM

OP, I think it's great you are seeing a doctor and having a mammogram, and hope that it turns out to be nothing to worry about. I'm the same age, and over the last couple of years have noticed my breasts have become more tender at various stages of the month.  It is generally cyclical, but for the last few months they have stayed moderately tender throughout the month, with one very specific area being particularly tender, and flaring around my period. I get yearly mammograms and ultrasounds, and had my appointment last week - there was nothing there, it was just hormones playing havoc. Tender breasts can also be a sign of perimenopause, so perhaps you are starting to enter that stage.  

Best of luck with your appointment.

Edited by Gruffalo's Child, 14 October 2016 - 09:03 AM.

#3 inabind

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:11 AM

View PostGruffalo, on 14 October 2016 - 09:01 AM, said:

Tender breasts can also be a sign of perimenopause, so perhaps you are starting to enter that stage.

Thanks so much Gruffalo's Child ! I did think about perimenopause as well.  My mum didn't enter menopause until her late 50s but of course I can't assume I'll be the same. I need to calm down and get the experts' opinion.

I guess I'm hoping the cyclical nature of the symptoms is actually a good sign ....

#4 Gruffalo's Child

Posted 14 October 2016 - 09:23 AM

inabind, the doctor I see regularly for my ultrasounds and mammograms, also told me when I mentioned this pain to her, that if a pain is cyclical it is generally nothing to worry about.  It's always important to get it checked out, but it's most likely to be nothing sinister.  

I've been told by doctors that when your mother entered menopause is a good indicator of when you might, but my mum hit menopause at 40, and although I'm in peri, I've been told I've got a while to go until menopause... I've also been told that perimenopause can last years.   I am seriously envious of men right about now.

#5 inabind

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:04 PM

So the GP's initial thought this afternoon given the cyclical nature of the tenderness is perimenopause but she did find a lump she feels is a milk duct ectasia (enlarged) ... so I'm off for a ultrasound and mammogram.

Fingers crossed that's all it is.

#6 PhillipaCrawford

Posted 14 October 2016 - 04:10 PM

I'm nearly 54 and had amazingly tender breasts and nipples about 3 years ago - as in anything touching them was agony even a bath towel.
Not something I was prepared for at all - hot flushes, etc yes but this was worse than pregnancy!

Hope all turns out well for you, but I think many of us have been there.

#7 Gruffalo's Child

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:19 PM

inabind, how did your tests go?  I hope everything went well and you are ok.

#8 inabind

Posted 24 October 2016 - 06:23 PM

Hi GC
Thank you so much for checking in.
I had both mammogram and ultrasound late last week and it's all clear. They spotted a lymph node but it was normal - seems like it's perimenopausal as you mentioned. Thanks again for your concern and advice

#9 Gruffalo's Child

Posted 24 October 2016 - 08:42 PM

That's great news!!   Welcome to the roller coaster that is perimenopause! I hope your journey is smooth and relatively uneventful.

#10 greenthumbs

Posted 24 October 2016 - 09:04 PM

Sounds very familiar. I've had similar the last few months. It seems to be cyclical as well. During the week before my period and settles afterwards. I panicked at first and still feel uncomfortable about it, but I have had an ultrasound which came back clear, so I will just keep an eye on it and hopefully get yearly ultrasounds if doctor will refer it.

I can't imagine I'm perimenopausal - mainly because I'm not yet 40. The doctor never mentioned it either. But I wasn't given any reason for this to happen out of the blue, pretty stressful isn't it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.