Egg donors in Europe - has anyone over 40 had success?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Baby4butterfly

Posted 15 October 2016 - 06:53 AM

Hi all

My husband and I are in our early 40s - married in 2013 and still no children despite 6 rounds of IVF. What a soul crushing experience that was. I did my last one 2 days ago. No more.

My IVF doctor told my husband to find a donor at the pub (a place we never go). He told me to ask my work mates, shop assistants and hairdresser. "Hi I can I have a few of your eggs?" Seriously? I can NOT ask people like that. Does anyone?

We are now looking for an egg donor and have decided to look at donors in Europe. Has anyone had any success with this? Any tips?

#2 MrsBiscuit

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:06 AM

Hi butterfly,

I'm 46 years old & my 3-week old baby conceived using a donor egg is asleep on my lap.

We used The World Egg Bank (US-based, not European) via a Melb clinic. We got 7 eggs, 5 fertilised, 4 embryos made it to Day 5. We transferred 1 & now we have our beautiful bub.

My husband is European so we would have preferred Euro eggs but we wanted to do our procedures in Australia & the World Egg Bank only offered US eggs so we went with that.

My tips:

- Be ready for a long wait: from our initial enquiry to where we are today, it has been almost 2 years - it's heavily regulated in Australia so screening & paperwork are cumbersome

- It's not cheap: 7 eggs freighted from US plus cycle fees, meds, dr appointments, travel etc cost us over $40k

- High doses of drugs to sustain pregnancy played havoc with my mental health, I experienced MAJOR anxiety & depression (as you'll see by some of my crazy EB posts during this pregnancy!!)

- I wouldn't recommend using an interstate clinic like we did (trying to save $ as Melbourne clinic was cheaper than Syd clinics) - we felt pretty isolated during our cycle & they didn't track me as closely. When I rang for my pregnancy test results, my nurse said: What blood test? WTF!!

We obviously have had a great result using the World Egg Bank so we're happy, but others will be able to tell you about Euro clinics.

Just to let you know our experience :)

#3 kirkar

Posted 15 October 2016 - 08:59 AM

Hi Butterfly,

Sorry to hear about your failed cycles, it just doesnt get any easier does it?? Have you looked at going on to other sites to advertise for a donor? Egg Donor Angels & the fabulous Egg Donation Australia are great in helping women get together.

Im 49 & found our donor on Egg Donor Angels. I thought it would be hopeless, being the age i am, i thought no one would donate to me. However I met an amazing young lady & now im just waiting for the go ahead to transfer one of our wonderful little embies.

Good luck with your search & know you arent alone, there are lots of women out there just like you who are there if you need support.

Michelle :yes:

#4 Baby4butterfly

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:39 PM

Hi MrsBiscuit, Great news that you now have a child on your lap. The world egg bank is so expensive. I wont rule this option out locations. Thanks for the tip about clinic locations.

My husband and his parents live in Australia but were born in France so I guess an overseas donor is is worth looking into.

#5 Baby4butterfly

Posted 15 October 2016 - 05:41 PM

Hi Michelle. Thanks for the encouragement. I guess like you I am thinking - who is going to give me an egg. Maybe I should post an ad. Good luck with your upcoming procedure.

#6 finally successful

Posted 16 October 2016 - 12:18 AM

Hi. So sorry you are having such a hard time. I went through an egg donation cycle and am soon going to give birth to twin girls. I am 47. My first try was successful. I did it in Greece as I also live here. I know many couples come from abroad to my doctor. I didn't have to wait for a donor at all. As soon as I was ready to go through with the cycle everything was ok. I transfered 3. The cost here goes about 7000 euros which is a lot cheaper. You can have a look at sykoutrisivf com and if u need any help I would be more than happy to help you. I know this is a stressful journey but the outcome is worth it. I will be giving birth in 3 weeks and can't wait.

#7 Baby4butterfly

Posted 16 October 2016 - 06:08 PM

Finally Sucessful I am so happy that you are finally successful! I would love to have twins.

#8 luke's mummu

Posted 16 October 2016 - 07:47 PM

I have a friend who gave birth to her first child at 43 using Capetown fertility clinic in South Africa for an egg donor. I have no idea how the costs compare, but they preferred to pay an anonymous egg donor than ask everyone they knew in Australia. She did place an add looking for egg donors in "Sydney's child" magazine, I think she got 2 enquiries but neither followed up and said they were happy to go ahead with the donation.

She said they don't get given the donors name at all, just the medical history and photos of the donor as a baby/child.

I think she had her baby after their 3rd trip to South Africa.

#9 finally successful

Posted 17 October 2016 - 01:10 AM

Thank you Baby4butterfly. I hope everything works out for you too.

#10 MaggieFox

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:14 AM

Hi Mrs Biscuit,

I was so glad to read your post. My husband and I chose to go with TWEB and we have just heard that we have 7 eggs coming in January which means a transfer in February. The donor only got 8 viable eggs so her cycle wasn't split up with anyone else. I have been looking on forums to see if anyone has had any success with TWEB and yours is the first post that I have come across. The rest have all just been people saying it's expensive.

Did you have any embryos to freeze? My RE (Lynn Burmeister) wants to transfer two at day 3 as she had another patient have success with this protocol.

Cheers,
Maggie!

#11 Charlie & Lola

Posted 20 December 2016 - 11:11 AM

A friend of mine also was successful going to Capetown in SA after many years of IVF in Melbourne with no results. Another dear friend left Melbourne last night to travel to Capetown hoping for her miracle.

#12 alek2019

Posted 08 January 2020 - 06:08 PM

View PostBaby4butterfly, on 15 October 2016 - 06:53 AM, said:

Hi all

My husband and I are in our early 40s - married in 2013 and still no children despite 6 rounds of IVF. What a soul crushing experience that was. I did my last one 2 days ago. No more.

My IVF doctor told my husband to find a donor at the pub (a place we never go). He told me to ask my work mates, shop assistants and hairdresser. "Hi I can I have a few of your eggs?" Seriously? I can NOT ask people like that. Does anyone?

We are now looking for an egg donor and have decided to look at donors in Europe. Has anyone had any success with this? Any tips?

This has been awhile but have you found an egg donor?  I just found your post amusing.  Really?  Your Doctor told your hubby to find a donor at the pub?  Seriously?  Good thing you had more sense than that doc!

I had an egg donor through Dunya IVF, it's a private clinic in Cyprus.  I had my baby boy.  We're going back to get the frozen embie through FET.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.