Toddler in a hotel room for 2 weeks

28 replies to this topic

#1 Coeur de Lion

Posted 25 October 2016 - 08:50 AM

Does anyone have any suggestions for activities for a toddler (17 months) in a hotel room? We'll be staying about two weeks and I also have a newborn. The activities need to be hotel room appropriate - so messy is ok but not permanent mess, IYKWIM. We'll be getting out and about everyday but there will be periods when we're stuck in the room (feeding, bad weather etc). We don't have a TV at home but tv on the iPad only keeps her entertained for about five minutes.

These are some I've thought of already -

- bubbles
- painting with water on the balcony
- filling bath with soap suds and letting her play in them
- dried pasta play

#2 Hands Up

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:11 AM

Is this trip unavoidable? If so, I'd go a self-contained apartment rather than a hotel room. Naps and so on would be a nightmare. If the trip was avoidable I'd probably stay home! I've been there, 14 month gap between my two, and it's pretty brutal in the beginning. A holiday won't really be a holiday.....

In terms of activities, perhaps magnets for the bar fridge, Tupperware containers for water play in the bathroom (supervised, obviously!!), perhaps play doh?

#3 Theoffice

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:14 AM

Puzzles, Colouring books, plastic bowling ball game, sorry that's all I've got.

#4 mandala

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:20 AM

For two weeks, a self-contained apartment might be cheaper. Then you can add in cooking, 'washing up' in the sink and pulling things in and out of cupboards.

Cushion obstacle course can be good, too.

#5 Jingleflea

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:23 AM

I'd be freaked out about the balcony too personally. I'd have to be extra sure it's completely kid safe before I went.

#6 22Fruitmincepies

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:24 AM

Are you in a city? Join the library and get out lots of books, or if there is a toy library you can often get a short membership and get a bunch of toys without having to fit them in your luggage.

Otherwise take whatever gets the most love at home - blocks, cars etc. We have a set of cardboard stacking boxes that have traveled the world. They nestle in each other so don't take too much space, and are light. They could be used in a variety of ways so got lots of play time (stacking, upside down and turned into a train, hide things under them etc).

#7 Coeur de Lion

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:25 AM

Thanks everyone! Great suggestions. Just to clarify - it's a two bedroom apartment in a hotel, not a single room. I'm not a masochist!!

ETA and sadly not a holiday as such. We're accompanying DH on a work trip while house is having some work done to it.

Edited by lollywater, 25 October 2016 - 09:26 AM.

#8 Coffeegirl

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:29 AM

Are you driving or flying there?  What you can take as luggage is going to limit you as well.

Think about your days now. What do you do now?  In a 2 bed apartment it shouldn't be too hard to replicate your normal daily routine.

Find out what parks are local to your accommodation.  As well as playgroups or kinder gyms where your toddler can wear off some energy.

#9 lizzzard

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:29 AM

I would definitely get out and about as much as you can.

I'd also take a suitcase of toys! You can probably fit alot into one suitcase - duplo, mini figurines for creative play, some small balls, balloons, cups, little cars and a play mat.

#10 Coeur de Lion

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:33 AM

View PostCoffeegirl, on 25 October 2016 - 09:29 AM, said:

Are you driving or flying there?  What you can take as luggage is going to limit you as well.

Think about your days now. What do you do now?  In a 2 bed apartment it shouldn't be too hard to replicate your normal daily routine.

Find out what parks are local to your accommodation.  As well as playgroups or kinder gyms where your toddler can wear off some energy.

We're flying but flying business so luggage shouldn't be a problem. We have a set schedule at home that includes playgroup, storytime etc but I didn't think you could just drop in to a playgroup? It's a good suggestion though so I'll have a look at groups in the area we're staying at.

#11 Nasty Bunsen

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:34 AM

Where are you staying Lollywater? A bit of local knowledge might make it easier for you to get out and about...

#12 Coeur de Lion

Posted 25 October 2016 - 09:36 AM

View PostBunsen the feral, on 25 October 2016 - 09:34 AM, said:

Where are you staying Lollywater? A bit of local knowledge might make it easier for you to get out and about...

Ah! Excellent suggestion. We'all be in the Kingston/Manuka area of Canberra.

#13 LUV-MY-KIDS

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:00 AM

Motel rooms with toddlers are a nightmare as they tend to get into everything and need constant watching plus you having  a new born.  No chance stay with relative rather than going with DH?

I've done a lot of this with my DD sport having to occupy a small child in small spaces

What I do is research the area really well and have a list of places to go.  Are you hiring a car so you can get around?  I would seriously consider that to make it easier on you.  You can hire with car seats and GPS

Places I always have on my list are:
Indoor play centres
Local parks, I always look for kid recommend ones
Shopping centres
Local pool
Local attractions such as sciene centres ect
Child friendly places to eat

Things I would do revolve around getting out and then coming home and doing things like leaf art, or going to the shops buying some special craft stuff coming home and gluing and making picture for dad ect.  I tended to not take to much with me but a few toys, use the time during the day to go and find stuff then come home and do stuff with it.

Goodluck

Edited by LUV-MY-KIDS, 25 October 2016 - 10:02 AM.

#14 Coeur de Lion

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:27 AM

View PostSuperMombie3, on 25 October 2016 - 10:05 AM, said:

Google paint and play canberra.  Great toddler activity and the Friday one at florey is undercover.  Also giggle & wiggle at act libraries, undercover.  These only run during school terms, so depends when you're travelling.  
Majura park has a indoor play centre, not too far. There's another play centre monkey mania in fyshwick. If you need to catch buses to get about fyshwick is probably easier to get to than majura park.  
Theres also indoor play areas at woden & belconnen malls and a good indoor play area for toddlers at Southern cross club in woden.  If you don't have a car woden shouldn't be too hard to get to on buses.  There's a great park called boundless.  An indoor play area at old parliament house.

Wonderful! Thank you

#15 bondgal

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:28 AM

To add to SuperMombie3's list;

- Questacon, they have an awesome play area for little ones on the lower floor.
- Check out the Weston Park at Yarralumla. Make sure you take a change of clothes as the toddler will likely get wet in the water play area.
- Join a local playgroup

...there's so much to do here, you'll want to stay longer! Keep posting any questions you have.

#16 bondgal

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:31 AM

Oh and for weekends - hire a car and head out to Tidbinbilla nature reserve. There is a beautiful, stroller friendly walk and if you are lucky you will see a platypus or two and definitely a koala. The zoo is great too but a little expensive. Arboreteum is also worth a visit.

Both the Canberra.times and the_riotact sites have lists of what's on that weekend, that they publish on a Thursday

#17 seayork2002

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:51 AM

I would get one of those fold up pop up net baskets to keep the toys together - I would go into the $ shops and stock up on heaps of small things and give out over time to make it more exciting

#18 SplashingRainbows

Posted 25 October 2016 - 10:57 AM

Matchbox cars. Only need three or four. Don't take up much room or make much noise.
ALDI currently have $10 mats with car tracks on them that would be a godsend. They are designed for under high chairs to catch mess but they're great for play too. I got several last week.

A few picture books.

Basic puzzles?

The coloring in books with textas that only work on the specific type of paper? Cant think what they're for but they're in target, Kmart etc and are great for toddlers to scribble on.

#19 Seven of Nine

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:03 AM

I wonder if there is a toy library near by that you could join. It would make playing so much easier!

Does the hotel have a pool? When my kids were that age we used to go to the apartment building pool every afternoon before dinner.

#20 livvie7586

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:31 AM

There used to be a toy library around that area, but it isn't showing up on google. There's one up the road from me in rivett, and this one http://megstoybox.org

If you have access to a car you're more than welcome to drop in to our playgroup on a friday ( we're in chapman), otherwise there tends to be a lot of playgroups that welcome drop ins around.

#21 No Drama Please

Posted 25 October 2016 - 11:45 AM

We don't actually take toys with us but buy them there so "new and exciting".

So I'd go maybe every second day or so and buy stickers with small book/toy soldiers/toy from local op shop then drop them back to op shop when trip is finished.

Toy library and normal library fantastic idea! Never even thought of toy library so thanks to PPs who suggested, will use next time!

#22 Coeur de Lion

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:04 PM

View Postlivvie7586, on 25 October 2016 - 11:31 AM, said:

There used to be a toy library around that area, but it isn't showing up on google. There's one up the road from me in rivett, and this one http://megstoybox.org

If you have access to a car you're more than welcome to drop in to our playgroup on a friday ( we're in chapman), otherwise there tends to be a lot of playgroups that welcome drop ins around.

Thank you! That's a really kind offer. We weren't going to hire a car but if we do I'll keep that in mind.

#23 Sockergris

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:07 PM

Lots of little things from the $2 shop or Daiso if you have one nearby
Bath toys for a looong bath.  
Balloons.
Play dough (get them to play in the bathroom so it's not on the carpet)
Sticker books with scenes
Threading
Obstacle course
Blanket fort
"Cooking" (making a fruit platter or sandwiches, decorating pre made biscuits or cutting out bread and cheese shapes etc)

Just some of the things I've done in a hotel room. lol

#24 Coeur de Lion

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:09 PM

View PostLagom, on 25 October 2016 - 12:07 PM, said:

Lots of little things from the $2 shop or Daiso if you have one nearby
Bath toys for a looong bath.  
Balloons.
Play dough (get them to play in the bathroom so it's not on the carpet)
Sticker books with scenes
Threading
Obstacle course
Blanket fort
"Cooking" (making a fruit platter or sandwiches, decorating pre made biscuits or cutting out bread and cheese shapes etc)

Just some of the things I've done in a hotel room. lol

Play dough in the bathroom is a great idea!

#25 LUV-MY-KIDS

Posted 25 October 2016 - 12:23 PM

2 weeks with no car may be difficult to keep your sanity.  I would look at hiring a car at least for some of the time.

Hopefully your hotel suite has some room, I generally end up pushing a bed against the wall so its not in the middle of the room so my son has a desent space to play on the floor.  I find the less confined the better he is.  If you have stuff in the room like extra chairs, desk, bedside tables just ask them to come and remove, I find they are good when you explain that you want more room and less things that could get damaged.  The bigger clearer floor space you can get the better.

Also closets in hotels make great cubbies, a few pillows and comfortable blanket, a few toys

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.