shapewear

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Odd-1-Out

Posted 01 November 2016 - 03:41 PM

Hi

What is the best shapewear for sucking in a few cm's? I have a dress I need to fit into in about a months time... I can get it on but it is still a bit tight... I need to lose a couple of cm's for it to fit properly. I have been dieting and losing weight for the last 3 months and will continue to do so... but I might need some good shapewear for mainly my tummy area. It is an empire waist dress so basically something from under the bust down is what I will need.

Thanks!

#2 HRH Countrymel

Posted 01 November 2016 - 06:53 PM

Bumping for you OP, because I too want to know.

It is obviously NOT the giant underpant things I bought and then didn't wear.

They did squish everything together, but it all ended up in the front.
So instead of a wide expanse of generalized squishness, I had a firm, taught, melon shaped ball attached to my belly!

#3 Coffeegirl

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:11 PM

I have two styles that I wear. I'm a 16-18.

This style under slimmer dresses, that are fitted all the way down http://www.myer.com....53240-281350990

And these for under dresses with a more flared skirt.   Can't wear this under a more fitted skirt and the bulges over my thighs give it away :rofl:  http://www.myer.com....09770-320903290

#4 NunSoFeral

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:31 PM

I would suggest the one like the first link CG put up.
I have one similar and it is great

The shorts can be tricky - as CG referred to the ol' exploding thighs issue, and I've got a few SPANX, Nancy Gantz (Sp?), etc and the extra high waistband on all the tummy trimmers shorts always rolls down. Without fail.  
Of course, it may be my super-powered podge that refuses to be constrained, but it really annoyed me.

Oh and check reviews - some are size up, some are size down.

#5 Lifesgood

Posted 01 November 2016 - 07:31 PM

View PostCoffeegirl, on 01 November 2016 - 07:11 PM, said:

This style under slimmer dresses, that are fitted all the way down http://www.myer.com....53240-281350990

Yes, this is the one. DJs has them as well.

I recently looked into the same topic OP and went and tried on a whole range of shapewear. The full slip is the way to go, preferably the underbust one. Nancy Ganz or Spanx have the most effect (and are by far the most exxy).

I was only after a little bit of smoothing/support so I just got the $25 Target version, but if you want something to reduce your dress size a little I'd go the gold standard.

#6 Odd-1-Out

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:11 PM

Thanks everyone! I bought a whole heap of different kinds of bridget jones huge underpant things and had it all pouring out the top lol! I thought I better ask before I bought something else that wont end up doing the job! :-)

#7 baking101

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:26 PM

I have a fab pair that goes from under bust to shorts halfway down the thigh. They were pricey from memory (err, 10 years ago) and triumph brand? Still use them but I've lost a bit of weight and they don't have quite the same magic effect.

#8 paddington_

Posted 01 November 2016 - 08:27 PM

If your getting the shorts style,  make sure it goes all the way up to under your boob.
The waist height ones give bulge and odd shaping.  I think they only work if your already thin with no fat.

#9 #YKG

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:07 PM

I get mine from target, the gok range is good and goes to a size 22, the generic target range is also surprisingly good and goes to a 22 but is hard to find in stores as they either sell out fast or don't get many in.
The price points are pretty reasonable. I've bought expensive ones that I hated and didn't fit as well as my target ones.

#10 Odd-1-Out

Posted 02 November 2016 - 06:42 PM

Thanks I will try there as well! I think i am leaning toward the spanx as they seem more heavy duty and i will need a lot of suction lol

#11 CallMeFeral

Posted 02 November 2016 - 07:41 PM

View PostSparkles66, on 02 November 2016 - 06:42 PM, said:

Thanks I will try there as well! I think i am leaning toward the spanx as they seem more heavy duty and i will need a lot of suction lol

IMO it's worth remembering that none of them can actually make stuff disappear. It's just a matter of what they do with it. Some smooth it - so it's much like it normally is except without bulginess - and others redistribute it - if you get too much suction it will get redistributed and you'll have bulges where it stops or at the points of least resistance.
Going and trying it on somewhere is the best idea IMO.

#12 Cimbom

Posted 02 November 2016 - 08:03 PM

Wouldn't it be better to just get a new dress? I've purchased some great party dresses from places like ASOS, River Island, Lipsy, etc for ~$70 which is great for largely one-wear occasions like weddings etc. Good quality shapewear is not cheap anyway and at least you'll be able to eat and be comfortable

#13 jossy

Posted 03 November 2016 - 09:22 PM

I swear by Spanx.  I've tried many different ones over the years and these are the best.  The go from under my boobs to the top of my knees and never roll down.  I wear a lot of dresses so have them on nearly every day, I can't stand my thighs rubbing together!  I'm a size 18 to 22 depending on the shop, or a large at City Chic.  I was getting them directly from America because they worked out cheaper but they've been popping up at Catch Of The Day so I've stocked up from them.  This is the style I get:

http://www.spanx.com...8-032?1689=8909

#14 Odd-1-Out

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:35 PM

Thank you for the link 😁 It's a very very long story best suited in another section of the forum...but short answer is no I cant get a new dress. The shapewear will be used more than once so it wont be a problem 😁

#15 bearosauraus

Posted 05 November 2016 - 03:45 PM

Nancy Ganz.

I swear by the shorts that have the high waist! no buldges or lines anywhere!

i originally had them as i had surgery that needed compression for 6 wks - but i use them for under dresses now :)

#16 Lynneghl

Posted 19 December 2016 - 06:22 PM

Probably a bit late for OP.

I recently bought Bella Bodies slip thing, surprising comfortable once it was on, sucked in enough to make the dress look halfway decent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertisement

Top 5 Viewed Articles

Advertisement

Advertisement

Essential Baby and Essential Kids is the place to find parenting information and parenting support relating to conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids, maternity, family budgeting, family travel, nutrition and wellbeing, family entertainment, kids entertainment, tips for the family home, child-friendly recipes and parenting. Try our pregnancy due date calculator to determine your due date, or our ovulation calculator to predict ovulation and your fertile period. Our pregnancy week by week guide shows your baby's stages of development. Access our very active mum's discussion groups in the Essential Baby forums or the Essential Kids forums to talk to mums about conception, pregnancy, birth, babies, toddlers, kids and parenting lifestyle. Essential Baby also offers a baby names database of more than 22,000 baby names, popular baby names, boys' names, girls' names and baby names advice in our baby names forum. Essential Kids features a range of free printable worksheets for kids from preschool years through to primary school years. For the latest baby clothes, maternity clothes, maternity accessories, toddler products, kids toys and kids clothing, breastfeeding and other parenting resources, check out Essential Baby and Essential Kids.